PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Just purchased the 50g pouch...has anybody tried this before ??

It cost an arm and a leg !! $$$ !!

Aerinmoremixture013.jpg

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I haven't tried it but I hear its good. Flake is supposed to be stronger or something. My coworker recommended it to me but I still need to try some others first.
From Canada too eh, let me guess the price.. 50g... close to $35 cad right? I feel your pain!

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
My local Tobacconist has one Tin of Flake which he keeps trying to get me interested in. I might just do it as the price is insanely adventageous by the looks of things? $10.40 at today's exchange rate.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have wanted to try Erinmore Flake for some time now, but it has been scarce. I'll buy the tin and pay the shipping if you mail it to me.

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
The Mixture is a totally different blend as the Flake.

I used to smoke it but nowadays it's not appealling to me, since the maker's change from Murray's to Orlik. The Flake howewer is in my normal rotation from the early seventies.

Try the Mixture and let us know your opinion.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I want the flake. I like small pipes so I tend to smoke more flakes than mixtures.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
IF it is still available ohin, I'll collect it on my next stop off.
Best Regards

Rob

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Apparently the exact mixture is only known to two people in any one generation (or so they say) but it's a mixture of Mild Burley, Orange Virginia and Black Cavandish, it is a fairly common OTC brand here in the UK for around £9.50 (CAD 15.52), which incidently is the average price for 50g of most OTC pipe tobacco's here.
It has quite a high moisture content, so it burns relatively slowly and is quite a mellow smoke. For the History Buffs, it was the first pipe tobacco to be made wholly of British Empire grown tobacco.
I have smoked it quite a few times now and I do quite enjoy it, albeit it's a tad on the moist side for me and I have a habit of packing the bowl too tight(I still prefer Condor RR).
Open that pack, fill your bowl and let us know what you think of a fairly typical British OTC tobacco.

Sep 4, 2009
Well, just to throw my little bit in, here in Italy Erinmore Flake cost's 14 euros for 50g, as does the mixture.

I usually by it over the internet from a place in Spain, where it costs about €10.50, but I have lost a shipment once to Italian customs, so I'm a bit leery now (it was a bag of 20 tins!).

For years and years Frinmore flake was about the only tobacco I smoked, but eventually I got a bit fed up with rubbing it (it's one of the most difficult flakes I know to rub properly) and I couldn't get ready-rubbed where I lived, so I started buying the mixture.

Now, my everyday smoke is a 50/50 mix of the mixture and Condor ready rubbed. It's very good.

Then, if I'm feeling rich, I invest in a tin of Capstan Navy Cut Flake. Superb.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The flakes are really small, and strangely addictive. I haven't tried the mixture though.

scotsjim

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
Gents...
Please bear in mind that Erinmore Mixture is an entirely different beast from Erinmore Flake. The mixture has a milder nic content and is a much lighter smoke, whereas the flake has a rather strong nic content and, although still sweet, much less so than the mixture. I like both but prefer the flake as I find the mixture a tad slim for my tastes.
Many OTC UK pipe tobaccos are similar in this respect. The flake and the rubbed / mixture of the same blend of tobacco can often be radically different in both taste and nicotine content.
Regards,

Jim

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I am a fan of the flake but can give the mixture a pass. Sort of a weak sister to the lovely flakes.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I think the pineapple aro claims turn me off either. There are too many tobaccos I covet to even consider giving Erinmore a try. If I had a respectable B&M stocking it, things might be a little different...

flylot

Might Stick Around
Dec 17, 2010
I was given a tin of flake to try recently. It is a most satisfying smoke. I am too new to this to describe the taste and room note, but I can state it is one of my favorites now.

connolse

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
The Flake is excellent, but I have a special affection for the Mixture, perhaps because my uncle smoked it constantly, but also because I like the milder flavor, and there's something about the casing that really appeals to my taste.
I know MANY people who despise it with a vengeance, so I simply accept it is a love or hate thing:)
Legends about the casing being pineapple aside (perhaps started because of the pineapple on the tin, an Irish symbol of hospitality?), I have been assured by others, though I cannot confirm, that the casing is apricot. Makes sense.
excav8tor, I did not know about the British Empire tobacco thing you mentioned--very interesting! My anglophile uncle would have been proud to know that!
Erinmore Mixture is something I'd love to be able to find in bulk form, since I find myself spending a bit too much on the big 100g tins:)

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
If you're a fan of Peterson's University Flake Orlik Golden Sliced you'll likely enjoy Erinmore Flake.
I've heard the topping to be either pineapple or apricot. There's a picture of a pineapple on the tin, so that's what I tend to think of with this flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.