PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
tabaco-erin-go-bragh-irish-whiskey_zpsfaa183f8.jpg

Imported by Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Ltd. Tucker, Ga.
White pouch with gold trim, green lettering, and the inside is all shiny, gold lining.
Described on front as "A brilliant mixture of flue-cured Virginias, toasted white Burleys, and Sweet Black Cavendish spiked with aged Irish Whiskey. Refined and mellow with an inviting aroma."
It was that, indeed.
Long thin shreds of brown and gold leaf. Chose a Royal Duke to smoke it in (medium-sized bowl, straight-stemmed billiard--takes a filter but I didn't use one, so open draw). Filled it loose to the top, packed half down, filled the rest, pressed it medium light in. Turned out to be a good technique for it, draw-wise.
Char light and "HELLO!" Woke the tip of my tongue up RIGHT NOW. But that was it. I was wary, but it was immediately mellow with a sipping "breathing" technique.
Nice flavor. Slightly sweet and whiskey-rich. Not delicate, but not overpowering. A "Goldilocks" blend, for me.
Though the tobacco had seemed moist enough (pinching it would make it clump), it burned a bit fast, I think. And there was plenty of smoke even as I took it easy on it.
It started to sizzle. I held off, because I didn't want to reach "gurgle" with it. And it calmed back down for me. In fact, just a few moments later, after the sizzling stopped, I ran a pipe cleaner in to see what had developed. Hardly any color and the cleaner came out dry. I was smoking it well, it seems. Keeping pace with its burning characteristics. As I said, no bite at all after the alert my tongue got at the beginning. But a nice little tease, all the way to the bottom. Ash at tilt was medium coarse, and black. A little finer than pencil eraser tailings. After tilt and tamp, required a relight. Otherwise, held its ember well even smoking it on the edge of going out. Never had to nurse it back. It just hung in there with me.
A delicious blend. At the start, I had been going to compare it to Borkum Riff, but, huh uh, no: it's tastier and mellower to me. Borkum Riff, as I've noted elsewhere, I can tolerate fine, and will smoke if it's on hand and I want to stretch out the rest of my larder. But Erin Go Bragh Irish Whiskey I'd reach for for its own sake, passing up others. The sweet taste is not overpowering. It doesn't seem added, more as though the tobacco were grown that way, a natural flavor.
Damn, I like this taste. I think I'll have this pouch finished here in a few days and be ordering more.
Me gusta mucho!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It came free in an order awhile back from P&C, and I was impressed for a pouch blend. I ended up smoking a few bowls before putting the majority of it in a jar mixed with Captain Black Dark. Pouch blends don't thrill me so I either use them for at-work smoking or I combine them into "display jars" which sit out on my tobacco cabinet with customized labels. I stick to bulk and tin blends for smoking.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Pouched OTCs don't scare me away, although I wouldn't recommend cellaring them. I've got several pouches of 4 - 5 year old tobacco and most have completely dried out, thus impeding any aging value.
Thanks 12pups for sharing your personal experience with Erin Go Bragh.
If jiminks likes it as well, I'd certainly purchase a pouch just to give it a try.
You gentlemen have managed to get it on my list of "tobaccos to buy."

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I really enjoy this blend.

My father brought me a pouch on Easter, and I had flashbacks to the only whiskey-cases tobacco I ever had(Borkum Riff)...burnt the skin off my tongue! This was not the case with EGB. This tobacco was smooth, sweet and mild, a bit ashy toward the end, but I enjoyed the bowl. In fact, I just mixed a bit with Stokkebye Proper English, and had a fantastic smoke.

Nice review,thanks.

jdmack09

Lurker
Apr 15, 2014
I was looking at buying this to give it a try, and after reading all of these posts I think it will be a wise choice to do so.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I thought this was going to be about the little-known Erin Go Bragh Irish whiskey (drink, not tobacco). I found this stuff many moons ago, it was cheap as hell, and super smokey like Laphroaig. It apparently became a hit and someone from down South bought out my liquor store, and they never got it back in stock as it stopped being shipped over here.
Anyone else ever run in to this whiskey? Maybe the distance in time is coloring my memories, but it was real good and real cheap if I recall correctly.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
ok sounds interesting, where can it be found online? Just checked smokingpipes.com and 4noggins and didn't find it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Brad: try this: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/70499/erin-go-bragh/#p-126831

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Damn, they don't ship to Canada. Oh well, I'm heading to Chicago on Friday so who knows what I'll find when I'm there. Thanks for the link Jim.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I saw it online, but was afraid it would taste like Borkum Riff Whiskey, which just wasn't for me.
Would you recommend this to an aro smoker?
Erin Go Bragh!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Yes.
At lunch today I smoked Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey on the way home. I smoked Erin Go Bragh Irish Whiskey on the way back.
I don't think they're similar enough to compare at all. All I noted were huge differences. Back to back like that, here's what I noted:
1. Erin Go Bragh is soooooooooooo much mellower in your mouth. There just isn't going to be a "bite" at all. Smoking BR-BW, I'm trying to avoid the scorpion. Conscious of the fact that if I forget about it, it will soon remind me.
2. Erin Go Bragh *tastes good*. I *like* it in my mouth. I smoke *for* that taste. BR-BW, I tolerate it in my mouth. I smoke "around" it.
3. I was sad to pull up to work -- late -- and still not be done with my bowl of EGB. I took some "parting huffs," then knocked out quite a bit of unburnt tobacco. The same distance trip home, my BR-BW was done before I pulled in my driveway. Had there been any left, I would have shed no tears cleaning out the pipe and rushing inside to tend to my dogs.
4. All the way to work I was wondering, with the assortment I have in my "pipe tool box" behind me, mostly aromatics but one English blend, what would I rather be smoking right now than this? I have CA in there, Hunters Blend, lots of Captain Black, Cherry Cordial, Argosy, some Stanwell vanilla (never had that yet, unopened). I have three different blends of Borkum Riff. Some Half n Half. Some Prince Albert. ............... Do I want anything other than this?
Nope. And this is what I'm smoking on the way home, too. And when I get there. And probably tomorrow morning.
Recommend EGB? Yep. (But promise you *you'll* like it? -- Now, who could do that? I can only tell you *I* like it).
NOTE: Also noticed after BR-BW my clothes stunk like an ashtray. Almost as if I had been smoking cigarettes. EGB has a pleasant lingering smell. It's lighter, more delicate, and on my moustache, it "apologized" for the BR-BW, replacing it and letting me get to work unafraid of what my coworkers might smell on me.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
brdavidson --
Dang. I was gonna say, well, hey -- I'll send you some from down here. But it looks as though they'd either snatch and detain it during shipment or send it to you (up to 1 kg? ... five units of 200 g each) or deliver it taxes due. And you'd still get wopped what we were trying to save you.
Sneaky little postal trolls!
Is there a way around it you know of? Could I slip you something from Minnesota? Or do I have to hand deliver it? (They haven't taken it out of my bags so far when I travel).

Status
Not open for further replies.