PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I saw this on SP's site, and since I was looking to expand my Churchwarden collection, I bought one.
The pipes for 4th Generation are made by Peder Jeppeson. It's a fine looking pipe, for the $100 price point.
I've smoked two bowls in it so far. It smokes good enough, but there is an issue with it gurgling, and it won't pass a cleaner. The draft hole is drilled at the 12 o'clock position in the mortise, while the tenon's hole is centered. Not sure how much of a gap between the face of the tenon and the mortise, but it would seem there is enough of a jog to cause condensation, even with tobacco that has been dried down a bit.
I guess I wasn't expecting that. It's a machine made pipe, and while there is a slight bend in the shank, I don't know why they couldn't have centered the draft hole. Plenty of room above the floor of the chamber, so if it was 1/16" lower there wouldn't be an issue. So I'll have to do some work on it...
IMAG1272_1_2.jpg

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Sounds annoying at best. its definitely a looker though.I hope you get it figured out , so it becomes more enjoyable for you. I am still on the hunt for that perfect churchwarden that speaks to me.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
That's a nice looking warden. Shame about the alignment of the draft hole being off. That does sound a tad bit odd that they didn't center the mortise draft hole up. If it were mine, I would weigh just how much I cared about drilling into the mortise or not. I probably would if I had a drill press and a vice to lay on it. I'd just center up the hole. Don't think it would hurt anything, since you're still having to pull the smoke through the tenon opening anyway, so it can only draw so much. As far as the gurgle is concerned, mine does the same thing, but mine has a military stem, or spigot, so I can easily pull it apart while I smoke and run a cleaner up the stem and into the bowl a ways to soak up any moisture. I think it comes more from the fact that you're cooling that smoke quite a bit more in a warden stem than a regular, shorter pipe stem so condensation is gathering in the stem, then running down into the bowl. Turns it almost into a wet smoker. That's what mine does, no matter how dry the blend is. I've just been learning to smoke it for 5 or 10 minutes, then tamp it, stoke it a bit, and pull it apart to run a cleaner. Just seems par for the course. I see yours has some metal down there too, like mine, so maybe that affects them more.
20180510_234021-600x291.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Well I chatted online with SP, they said I could send it back and they would look at it, but the drilling was by design, so they would have to see if it's defective or not, which I'm guessing they would probably say it has no defect. Rather than piss away more money I'll just fix it myself. There should be plenty of room to move the hole down far enough so it will line up with the tenon hole. I'll plug the existing hole and redrill it. Also, there is about a 3/16" gap between the tenon face and the back of the mortise, so I'll fill that in so the smoke doesn't have any obstacles in the way. I've done this type of work before on restores where the draft hole was gouged out by indiscriminate digging with a tool. Fill and redrill, line up the holes. Worked great on pipes I've done this with before, some of my best smokers. Sucks that I have re-engineer a brand new pipe though...

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That's sp's customer service at low ebb, my opinion. If the design is gurgling, it's a poor design and a poor product. We'd have had words.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Well, I like that SP has a good selection of inventory, and shipping of pipes always gets here in two days. Then there's stuff they have stock on when others don't.
Never had an issue with them like this before. And in the last year I've probably spent a couple G's there.
There are other vendors out there who would take the hit on this just for the sake of customer satisfaction. I mean we're not talking about a $ 4000.00 Former or Ann Julie pipe.
I guess I'll just be a little more judicious in what I buy there from now on...

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't know if you want to push this further, but I'd call and ask to speak to Keith Toney, over CS last I knew. If you don't get satisfaction, ask to speak to Joshua Burgess, who is over Mr. Toney. I wouldn't stand for "no", as you were sold a defective product.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Well, I'm not going to go that far over a $100 dollar pipe.
But I'll consider it a little more carefully before purchasing from them again.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Step one. Existing draft hole plugged. I used a section of bamboo skewer and pumice/sodium silicate to plug the hole. Just a little short on the end where it meets the bowl, and a drop of pumice/sodium silicate on the end to "insulate" the bamboo skewer. I'll let it dry for a week, the I'll be ready to redrill you are the hole.
IMAG1301.jpg

IMAG1299.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
OK, let's get this going. I made a guide to fit the mortise for initial drilling.

In

IMAG1331_1.jpg

I drilled into the face just enough so the drill bit would be centered when I began drilling the new draft hole. Secured the stummel and began drilling the new draft hole. Drilled with the bit at an upward angle. The draft hole is centered at the bottom with oblong opening. This is what I was going for. I had to remove some material from the bottom of the bowl to open it up a bit, but not a big issue. Should smoke much better now...
IMAG1332_1.jpg

IMAG1333_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.