Epic meeting with a client today (pipes involved)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
So I had a morning meeting with a new client (I work in a marketing firm), so we got there and I was sitting at his desk, and right next to his computer was a straight Dunhill.
I commented on his pipe, and we got talking. Turns out it was his fathers, and he's now smoking it.
Needless to say, we continued the rest of the meeting at the cafe, with my Peterson and his Dunhill enabling the closing of negotiations.
Very epic!!!

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I didn't tell the client, but it reminded me of the time I was a kid when I asked my granddad who "Peterson" is (that's all he smoked). "Never trust a man who smokes an English pipe he would say."
Unfortunately, granddad would be disappointed lol

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That IS a cool story. Other than the 'deal'...how did the discussion go? Did you ( I presume you're a female ) find and DO you find, that there is gender shock? How did your client seem to deal with female encroachment? :)

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah, when it comes to the demographics of the pipe smoker, I'm definitely an outlier. Late 20s female.
Generally, I do get alot of stares, and the odd "wood in your mouth" comment (come to think of it, I should try a Meer in public to negate that kinda comment), generally people are intrigued in a positive way.
This client was pretty cool, he ended up telling me the story of his inheritance of his pipes, and decided that my pipe sock (I use them as they are easier to keep in a suit pocket than a bulkier case) was unworthy, so he gifted me a case for it.)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You are blazing the trail of independence and the rewards of that far outweigh prejudicial negativity. You may also be helping others to more open minds.
Now, isn't that just like a real piper? He gifted you a pipe case! fawke, that's cool.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
jessi, you're definitely NOT an outlier around here! Just one of the gang. We have a couple of other girls too, archy (claypipesarchaeologist), Meerqueen, and some others I can't think of right now. Nice of the guy to gift you the pipe case, too.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Love it!
I'd be pretty excited to find a pipe on the desk of a client. What a perfect ice breaker.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
sounds like a great meeting! I wish I ran into some more pipers out on the streets.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A common interest changes the whole chemistry in a first meeting. Suddenly the irritation of

adapting to a stranger is gone. You can start a marketing pipe club.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Yes a great story, in this society flooded with the likes of Facebook, Instagram and all the other arrays of social media a great story to let us know the art of initializing a conversation is not lost. Great to see Jessica you are in your late 20's and a true piper! : :clap:

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah, I've never been a fan of social networking. I really cannot understand the need to display yourself to the world. Then again, I'm a very private and introverted gal.
But yeah, I just realise that none of my pipes (sans the cobs which I'm not fond of) fit the case, so... looks like a small Pete is in the pipeline (bad pun, I know).
But its true about the icebreaker. Suddenly, we went from a professional meeting to a chill out and talk business over a coffee and a smoke. Thats the best way to do business.

Status
Not open for further replies.