Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
WASHINGTON, DC – The U.S. chapter of the Enlightened Pipe-smokers Alliance (EPA) announced Monday it has conclusively proven that consumption of luxury tobaccos contributes significantly to the phenomenon known as “global warming” (not to be confused with a similarly named environmental concern). The EPA studied behavior of hundreds of subscribers to the world’s foremost online pipe smoking forum, Pipesmagazine.com, to reach its conclusion.
“It’s no accident that we associate pipes with our most endearing and generous archetypal characters,” said one source. “Imagine Santa Claus without his pipe. But mythology had only made us suspect the link. Once we proved that link, we also wanted to learn whether good-hearted people chose to smoke pipes, or if pipes tended to make people good hearted.”
The study revealed a reciprocal association. “We found both were true. You can take the surliest bastard in the forum, stick a pipe in his mouth filled with one of his favorite tobaccos, and suddenly his fists relax and his temples stop pulsing. A puff on a good pipe is like a ‘hit of kindness’ – without disorienting his mental capabilities as an inebriant would.
“Or take the road-raging badass on the highway. Light him up and suddenly 55 is too fast for him. He’s moving over to let competitive drivers pass him, and he yields the intersection to other motorists. He enjoys his ride rather than focusing solely on his destination. I think that’s a lifestyle metaphor for the pipe smoking hobby – pipes help us enjoy the ride.”
But it was just as common for compassionate souls to migrate toward pipe-associated hobbies. These kind-hearted brothers and sisters of the briar sample and collect blends from around the world. Many collect and restore tobacco pipes. Some practice blending their own tobaccos.
“Pipe smoker generosity? Take this guy, Shantiques. Members send him pipes and tobacco and he – get this, now – he gives them to people free. Just sends them a box with a pipe and some quality tobaccos. Can you believe that?”
Part of the study involved showing volunteers off the street portraits with labels on them. Adhesive sensors connected to the subjects' bodies detected their physiological responses to the images and labels. Interpretations of the data quickly established a consistent pattern.
Subjects had no problem associating pipe smoking with members who were grandfathers, grandmothers, businessmen, businesswomen, mountain men, cowgirls, hipster chicks, college nerds, farmers, fire investigators, woodworkers, ministers, counselors, poets or philosophers. But shown a picture of a foaming-mouthed masked man labeled “tobacco abolitionist,” the subjects experienced cognitive dissonance, agitation, evidenced by violent responses from the sensors and by the subjects' involuntary frowns and head wags.
Follow-up interviews with the subjects explained why: no one could associate such maliciousness with pipe smokers.
In light of the EPA study, tobacco opponents may want to rethink their conviction that second hand, third hand and fourth hand smoke are such unhealthy things. Perhaps they are another way pipe smokers are “spreading the warmth,” globally.
# # #​

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Happy to know I am spreading the warmth. While I don't have any cows I'm doing my bit to add to the gaseous hydrocarbon content of the world. One small emission from a man, ...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
If only the Environmental Prevarication Administration could just get rid of pesky mankind (oh, and cowkind, too, then they would solve all of the world's problems! As for me, in their honor I'm going to have a large plate of ham and beans for lunch!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Time for some climate change right now! Puff-puff. I feel better already.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
12pups, the EPA and you are right! Every time I see someone smoking a pipe I get a warm feeling about them and even those in my general vicinity. Some times, I even feel warm AND fuzzy in the presence of more than one pipe smoker! Clearly, the science is proven right.... :wink:

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Good one, MSO!
@ Agnosticpipe: Has to be true. I wrote it on the Web.
Now, we may *feel* like getting all warm and fuzzy, but with one hand on a tamper or lighter, and the other on the pipe, it all stays nice and G-rated, for the most part. (It's those clenchers you have to keep your eye on).
:puffpipe:
(Whoops. My avatar is a clencher. Dammit. I'm busted.)

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Good, glad to know it, next time I will get me a pipe like this one from Boswell.
zv9GeHs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.