PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salsa45

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
when do you know you have enough cake built up. is it very noticable. Im new too smoking peipe and have smoked about 8 bowls in my new pipe. They have been half bowls as instructed by a couple of pipe smokers. when can i start to smoke full bowls, when can you tell.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title, L.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Rule of thumb thickness should be about as thick as a dime, some people like it thinner and some thicker but once you get to that point you will know what you prefer.
Start with the full bowls ages ago man the half bowl is only for your first and third your suppose to alternate between full and half but since your on your 9th bowl then just start smoking full ones now.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
The amount of cake for in my mind depends on the smoker and the pipe. Some pipes of mine smoke better with cake about as thick as a dime or even a little thickness others smoke better with hardly any cake at all. Some smokers find that cake seems to "taint" the flavor of certain tobacco's while others don't seem to notice it if at all. In the end the best advice I can give is smoke your pipe and see what works for you and your mouth.
Now with that said to much cake can crack a pipe when it is heated and expands so there is such a thing as to much, So yea there's that. Try and keep it no thicker than say a nickel's thickness.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The general rule of thumb is a the thickness of a dime. However, this topic has come up before and some seasoned pipe smokers have stated that they make sure there is no cake build up at all.
So it may not be the big deal many think it is. Personally I prefer a cake lining. Mainly because I am the cautious type.

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Gradually build up to a full pipe. From least amount of tobacco (first few smokes) to nearly full bowls. If you already have two or three pipes that are broken in, you can and should take your time. But don't worry too much about it, as the key thing is conditioning the walls to the heat of tobacco being burned. And in any case you'll ream the cake down a bit later on.
And note, by the way, that the greatest heat is generated in TWO areas: the top of the tobacco when you light it, and the bottom of the bowl when there's little left and what remains has been compacted by tamping. That last bit deserves careful attention, as it can start a burn-out in an as-yet unbroken-in pipe. Even with a very slow smoke, some of the juices are likely to be boiled into the wood also. Best not to obsessively smoke every last scrap in the pipe for a while, till the thing is well broken in at least. A few shreds remaining is quite okay.
One other thing to bear in mind is that tobaccos have different burning characteristics. Pure Virginia flakes are to be smoked slower than anything else, almost sipped. Wherefore they produce the least amount of heat. Burleys, too, can be slow and regular. English and Balkan are sometimes at their operatic best when hotboxed, and aromatics tend to be scorchers.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I have not yet been able to build any real cake ion any of my pipes. On a few, cake builds unevenly, and I even it out from time to time. Other than that, nothing of any substance.
I smoke the hell out of a pipe during an given day. then I let it rest a few days or a week or so.
And I don't write this as advice, but as a comment on my lack of cake-building skills.
I'm afraid. I'm very afraid.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Some of my pipes I've been smoking for about 2 years and haven't seen any significant cake build up. I see cake in the bowl but there really isn't any thickness to it. I do usually twist a paper towel into the bowl after it has cooled, usually the next day. Maybe that has something to do with it I'm not sure. Every pipe I have owned so far has come with the coated bowl but I do notice that each bowl for the first maybe 10-15 smokes in a new pipe just get better flavor and smoking properties as I smoke. I also have a relatively small rotation of 9 pipes so they all see quite a bit of action.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tjameson, my pipes build cake rather quickly, so here is what I do and maybe it will work for you. After I smoke a pipe, I put it in a rack bowl down and don't touch it till the next day. I clean all my pipes from the previous day when I get up. I take a pipe cleaner and double it, and then run it around the inside of the bowl getting any left over tobacco and ash. I have never used a paper towel. The two new pipes that had a pre carb bowl also began building cake at a good rate although not as quickly as my naked bowls. You might want to lose the paper towel, I think you could be rubbing out the cake by using it. Try my method on one of your pipes and see if you can notice a difference. Also what size pipes are you smoking and what do you smoke in them?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
HMM IVE ALWAYS WONDERED, WHEN I GET AN ESTATE PIPE AND THE CAKE IS SO THICK THAT A PENCIL CAN BARELY FIT IN, HOW MANY BOWLS DID THIS TAKE? AND DID THE OLD TIMES THINK THEY SMOKED BETTER THIS WAY? ONE MAY NEVER KNOW!

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I remove most of the cake from my pipes when it builds up. I don't take it back to the wood, but what I do leave is thin. Hair line thin.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I keep my cake condom thin.
For protection.
iseewhatyoudidthere.png

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i'd say dn't bother about cake for 30 to 50 bowls. after smoking 20 or 30 you might want to start wiping out the inside of the bowl with a pipe cleaner when cleaning. i use bristly pipe cleaners for that, and often scrape the inside with the spoon of a pipe tool too. this will hardly remove the cake, or much of it. just kinda scrapes it smooth and even. for that reason i wouldn't worry too much about half bowls and full bowls either. if you find more cake building toward the top of the bowl you can always scrape it back little by little and the lower part will catch up.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
I'm with chopz. I have never reamed a pipe, just kind of scrape down the top part of the cake when it starts to build up.
Another trick to keep the cake thin and hard is to scrape it down with a cut up scotch brite pad after every smoke (after it is well broken in).

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
It was mentioned to me that Va/VaPers build cake faster and better than any other tobacco. I tried this out on a couple of pipes to see if there was any validity to the idea and was surprised to see it forming almost immediately. This could explain Harris' experience, too. Previously I'd always used Burley and saw very little results.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Greg, I am not surprised you saw cake forming almost immediately, that has been my experience. I notice it forming after 3-4 bowls, and by the time I have smoked 15 or so there is a nice hard cake that has formed. It seems reasonable that because va flakes have lot's of sugars, once heated they stick to the bowl quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.