PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I had to post this in the beginner forum because I think it's just me but right now I can't get enough blends containing Latakia... A true struggle of a pipe smoker...anyone else go through this phase?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I haven't. I have a short list of blends that over the years have always treated me well. I'm not one to go hunting for something I really don't need. Very infrequently have I read a review that tweaks my interest enough to try the blend. But, I'm also a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Dull, but satisfied with what I have.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
It is not exactly your case, but I read username 'BriarPatch' from tobacco review going through his search for his next Latakia blend after Dunhill stopped producing a blend.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1033/samuel-gawith-skiff-mixture

It seems he is now happy with SG Skiff Mixture.
I am also a Latakia person, but for me I am happy with what I have settled on and have with me until it may taste different one day because of blending inconsistency, or changes in manufacturing.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
What do mean exactly when you say you can't get enough blends containing Latakia? There sure as heck isn't a shortage of them. There must be hundreds.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, I went through that phase. Try C&D's Pirate Kake. Seventy percent latakia. :wink:

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I think the only thing right now breaking up my blends with Latakia is my occasional flake and my normal evening aromatic.... Other then that it's blends with Latakia all day.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I learned very early that I am also a Lat fan with Gaslight my favorite right now. So many to choose from and so little time.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I know it's awful I got some Sam gawith commonwealth and squadron leader on my next order and also tabac Sherman 536. I now will add gaslight to that as well.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Balkan Sasieni, Mac B's Vintage Syrian, and Hearth & Home's Blackhouse and White Knight are excellent choices. I really like Balkan Sobranie, but most don't share that opinion.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I know what you mean. Lat forward blends are the only thing I've been smoking lately.
This should scratch your itch.
6qxGtU7m.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I highly recommend Nat Sherman 536 as a blending masterpiece, and it has Latakia, but it is not Latakia forward, in my opinion. It's great quality is the way the tobaccos are brought together. It's not super strong, and it is more an elegant that a powerful blend, to me. You could aways kick it up with a little (or a lot of) blending Latakia.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
That's a bummer... But the blending lat is now on my list and yes that nat Sherman blend I sampled yesterday and it wasn't lat heavy but it was there enough for my enjoyment.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
McClelland's Blue Mountain is an excellent substitute for Sobranie. Also called Balkan Blue.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I love the stuff ... and there are dozens of good Latakia blends.
A few in current rotation are:
SPC Plum Pudding

F&K Lancer Slices

GLP Gaslight

H&H Spectre
Happy hunting! :puffy:

garzanium

Lurker
Mar 7, 2015
I smoked pipe years ago, then stopped for a few years.
I use to enjoy heavy latakia blends, and even latakia by itself only.

Today, I do bbq competition, cook quite a bit with open fire, and camp with a camp fire ect

The smell completely turns me away from smoking latakia heavy blend.
So yes, went through that phase!

Status
Not open for further replies.