PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hi guys.
Someone gifted me a tin of Ennerdale Flake, and I spent a good month alternating between disgusted hatred and bizarre love of it. Since I'm already married, it does me no good to add another scenario like this to my life. :lol:
So that brings me to a question. It is the Lakeland scent that puts me off, but the underlying tobacco is so good. Is there an equivalent tobacco somewhere that is just the Ennerdale mixture minus the Lakeland stuff? I've ordered the Brown Flake Unscented since the makeup of the blend seemed to be very similar, but it isn't what I'm after.
Of course, the possibility exists that what I think I love about this tobacco might actually have something to do with the way it is melding with the Lakeland scent. That is a dark option I am afraid to explore at the moment.
Any advice from the gang would be much appreciated!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Best Brown unscented Maybe?
But Ennerdale is so good. The Almond oil and lavender are fantastic, not for everyone.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I enjoy most of the Lakeland scented tobacco's like Kendal Flake, Glengarry Flake, Conniston Cut Plug, Bosun Cut Plug, Scotch Flake, Bob's Chocolate Flake and a couple of others.

Not necessarily all of them and not all of the time, but I do like them.

The G&H blends are made with very good, high quality tobacco's IMO.

I also find the Lakeland essence to be refreshing as long as it is not overdone.

I haven't tried Ennerdale yet, but from all that I have read on the forum, the Lakeland essence in it might be a little heavy for me.

You have me curious about it now though, so I will probably put a tin on my next order.

You will hear varying opinions, but you shouldn't be afraid to like the Lakeland blends, they're pretty good if you give them a chance.

Good luck!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Yes G&H tobacco quality is top notch. I will still revisit the Lakeland mistress, I'm sure. I do need to get a pipe I can dedicate to it though, as I've noticed the stuff even ghosts my meers! Thanks for the advice, guys.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Ennerdale is a bit brighter than Brown Falke U/S. I haven't had it, but Bright CR Flake might be what you're looking for.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I think I'd go with best brown too. Bright CR is a wonderful smoke,juicy and slightly floral but I think BB may be a little closer to what your after.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Best Brown #2.
Gawith_Hoggarth_Co_Best_Brown_2_Pipe_Tobacco_Tin_50g_tobacco_front__80368.1450839867.1280.1280.jpg

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Best Brown and Bright CR were on my list with Unscented Brown, so I'm thankful to have the extra push of advice. I will be trying both, thank you guys!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Best Brown #2 is a favorite of mine. It's not quite the same as Ennerdale's tobaccos, but it's very good. It has a slightly vinegar-like "tang" to it that Ennerdale doesn't have. Ennerdale, if I recall correctly, has sun-cured VAs in the mix, and I think that's a key component for the flavor. Another one I haven't tried (sorry!) is Broken Scotch Cake, which has both flue- and sun-cured VAs in it.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I've always found mahogany flake to be like ennerdale, but with the floral essence totally toned down. Although its presence is still there, just slightly.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Simon I hadn't heard of that particular offering,but I had a quick look on tobacco reviews, sounds like a better. :puffy:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Alright oldreddog, hope your well. I've never seen it down my way either. It's only when I've been up working in the very north of England or Scotland that I've found it.

Wouldn't say it's an absolute 'must have' but it's a good one. I'm pretty sure it was the co-op own brand or something years ago. G&H make it now obviously & as with revor plug, do a damn fine job of it! Regards, Simon.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Do latakia forward blends taste a bit soapy to you? MM965 does to me but I don't mind it at all.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Best Brown #2 is a favorite of mine. It's not quite the same as Ennerdale's tobaccos, but it's very good. It has a slightly vinegar-like "tang" to it that Ennerdale doesn't have. Ennerdale, if I recall correctly, has sun-cured VAs in the mix, and I think that's a key component for the flavor. Another one I haven't tried (sorry!) is Broken Scotch Cake, which has both flue- and sun-cured VAs in it.
I agree with Pitchfork. BB2 is excellent! I love the vinegar tang that he describes and I've not had anything quite like it! Gooooooooood stuff!
I could just be desensitized to it but I don't really get any of the Lakeland essence on this one but I do recall noting that there was when I first smoked it.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
GH Brown Flake Unscented is the closest to Ennerdale without the toppings.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Yes Simon it was the old Co-op brand. You can get the Mellow Mahogany from Alf Turmeus (Cgars).

Mar 1, 2014
My opinion is that Ennerdale is best fresh from the tin, the floral aspect can be too heavy sometimes but eventually the sweetness also goes away if the topping dries out too much.

I haven't seen how Ennerdale responds to aging but I do have some in a jar so inevitably I will have to find out.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Thanks Simon I'll keep an eye out for it on me travels.
Bob I'd say your right I did smoke a sample but had forgotten it and how it tastes.

Frozen I would like an answer to that, given the good tobacco used I would hope it would age nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.