PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
So I took the plunge and bought a tin of Ennerdale flake (and a new corncob to dedicate to it). Boy, am I glad I did. I find it to be absolutely wonderful. Yes, this is definitely a floral tobacco but I don't find it soapy (or urinal cakey) at all. However, I do have a few questions.
It's called a "flake" tobacco, but my tin wasn't what I was expecting from that description. When I opened the package I had a big squarish hunk of tobacco that fell apart into large clumps of tobacco as opposed to the even thin sheet I was expecting. Is this normal? Is there a special way to best handle or treat this tobacco? I've been grabbing chunks and rubbing it out.
Also, has anybody aged this stuff? ON one hand it has virginias in it so it should age pretty well. On the other hand, it is flavored/scented and (while I've heard its not the same as an aromatic) I worry that will prevent any meaningful aging.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just ordered my first ton of Ennerdale too! Though I may wait till spring to open it for the sake of seasonal pairing. When I first got into piping I hoped to find tobacco with woodsy, botanical, and floral elements, so I'm really hoping I'll be in the minority of people who love Ennerdale.
I guess "flake" probably means different things to different people. Rubbing it or is exactly how I would prepare a broken flake too.
I can't speak on the aging but I'm definitely curious.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
This could be what you're looking for. It reminds me of a good floral tea. In fact, I paired it with some strongly brewed jasmine tea but I think it'd go well with a good rooibos or even a good bergamot-y earl grey. I also found it very smooth smoking. It retrohales beautifully and easily. Smoked cool with no tongue bite what so ever.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
+1 foolwiththefez!
It has the best burning characteristics of anything I've yet smoked. Sometimes mine needs a little drying time, but once prepared it lights easily, stays lit, doesn't bite.
I also love the taste, but I certainly understand how many wouldn't. It is... unique.
I prep it by yanking off a ropy strand or two and cutting it into half inch chunks. I then rub it out just a little, but I like to smoke it pretty chunky.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea it's not A flake per se. It's a broken flake. You still get the benefit of the flake process. Broken flake to me is a flake that falls apart. Orlik Golden Sliced is a Flake.
I love Ennerdale Flake and have a Briar dedicated to it. Also Grasmere Flake is killer. You can smoke it in the same pipe. The burley in both these blends turned me into a burley lover.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I'll put Grasmere on my list. I'm also going to pick up some 1792, Grousemoor, and Hyde Park. They'll all been listed in discussions of Lakelands that I've read.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
1792 is awesome, but you need to smoke it in another pipe. I wouldn't mix it with Ennerdale and Grasmere. 1792 and Bob's Chocolate Flake can be smoked in the same bowl. They both have a big dose of Tonquin bean. Do what you want, I just wish I had some direction when experimenting with Lakeland's.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Have not tried Hyde Park, but it seems to be from the lakelands gene pool.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Thank you, perdurabo. I can get MM Legends from my local drugstores for $7 so I'll definitely pick up a dedicated one for 1792.
As for Hyde Park, it was a recomendation from someone on Reddit who said it "has a real nice hit of the Lakeland soapiness" and his flair is "Sam Gawith Fanboy" so I figured it has to be worth trying

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Interesting. When I read the description of Hyde Park a while back, I assumed it would taste something like Autumn Evening. But now I'm going back and reading and noticing something: it's described as "traditional English." That's code for Lakeland! And it's also a subtle enough distinction that it makes sense why a ton of people on tobaccoreviews.com are peeved that this isn't the type of English (that being with latakia) they were probably expecting. Interestingly enough learning all of this now makes me want to try the blend, whereas before the description didn't compel me. Fascinating.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Interestingly enough learning all of this now makes me want to try the blend, whereas before the description didn't compel me. Fascinating.
Yup. That's why I always like to ask about blends on the forums. Though, nothing will fuel a case of TAD like telling the forums you like a particular blend. People come out of the woodwork to give suggestions. At this rate, I'm going to have to place a $100 Lakeland order in January

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like Ennerdale too, but of all the Lakeland flakes I've tried (admittedly only five so far) I like Glengarry flake the best. It seems to have more of a fruity scent rather than floral. I just received my latest tobacco order which contains some of the Glengarry, and as I looked at it, I thought it looked different than the stock I have on hand, which is about 16 months old. Finally I realized that the aged flake has quite a bit of sugar bloom on it and the new stuff doesn't, and for some reason the old stuff seems to have a richer, stronger scent! I'll have to try a comparison to see if there's a difference in smoking them. I have found that Lakeland flakes age quite well, but then I only have experience with five of them.
Have fun experimenting with these tobaccos!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ennerdale had me more terrified than when my wife is mad at me. Amazed to see some folks actually enjoy it. Have at it fellas, I won't be slowing down your cellaring of it.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I could do without ennerdale but grasmere I like, also glengarry flake.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Orley, that's good to hear about your aging flakes. I hope they're super delicious for you. I'll definitely add Glengarry to my growing list of Lakeland's to try.
So, I made the mistake of smoking a bowl of Ennerdale out of one of my other cob's and it ghosted. I think I've fought it of with the application of some whiskey, but it got me thinking. Do Lakeland's ghost Meerschaum pipes? Are Meerschaum ghosts even a thing?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I can see where Lakeland's would ghost anything. Meerschaum included. Someone stand up and answer that question! Please. I'm on the ledge of buying a meerschaum and would like to hear some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.