PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

willwoodbine

Lurker
Nov 30, 2012
What can I say, its like being punched in the face with a bag of English Heritage's finest gift shop potpourri, with a hint of turkish delight thrown in. Ive tried a few flakes recently, but this is something else entirley, Im rather glad I used a cob because I can imagine this on lingering in the pipe for a good time to come. I think Ill rub it out and try blending it with something...
Has anyone else tried this tabac?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Love it. One of my favorites. Once you make peace with the fact that flowers were used to scent your tobacco, it is wonderful stuff. Fruity, perfumey, sweet, happy flavors. Plus, the underlying VA's are wonderfully soft and sweet. Yes, it will ghost.

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Tried it in 2010. First thing that came to mind was the whiff of urinal cake in a bar bathroom, as well as a suspicion that it was meant to be smoked in strip joints. Underneath that bizarre perfume it's actually decent flake, but the smell is too disturbing for normal usage.
Don't bother blending it with something else, simply jar it and revisit during your more degenerate moments.

Smoked very slow and gentle it will not ghost your pipe significantly, though a bowlful of a Latakia mixture will taste very peculiar in that pipe next time you fill it.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
It will ghost!!! I have a Bjarne apple that I used to smoke about a dozen bowls of ennerdale in about 10 years ago. To this day I can still taste ennerdale at the end of every bowl in that pipe. I have reamed, salt and alcohol, cleaned...etc...and still the ghost persists. Powerful stuff. I do like the flake, but its a once in a while thing for me in a cob.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Yes, it will ghost but I LOVE it! This is one of my all-time favorite blends, although I know it's not everybody's cup of tea.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
To tell you the truth, I kind of like the ghost being there in that pipe. It adds character. It only shows up in the last few puffs of the bowl so it's not like it ruins the smoke. I still chuckle every time it shows up at the end of the bowl and am reminded of my drive to Nova Scotia when I moved here from the states. I was on a pretty steady Lakeland diet at the time.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I really like Ennerdale Flake. I have to presume that many of the Lakeland tobaccos are "love 'em or leave 'em" baccys. If you like the taste, the underlying tobaccos used are absolutely fabulous.

I would really like to have a men's cologne that smells like Ennerdale Flake - anyone know of one?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I would really like to have a men's cologne that smells like Ennerdale Flake - anyone know of one?
I'd prefer a woman that smells like Ennerdale, but that's just me. :lol:

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
With everything that has been said about this flake I had to give it a try. I included a new MM Legend with my order of 2oz to take heed of the supernatural warning.
Just finished up my first bowl and wow! I thoroughly enjoyed this blend.
It is different though. In a previous job I cleaned carpets and one of the disinfect deodorizers I used had the same floral scent. When the tin note hit me on this blend it was like instant flashback. Reminded me of all the good times I had working hard, and playing equally hard prior to becoming a desk jockey.
So, I can see why some would not like the floral note. Actually, had it not been for the reminiscing factor I don't know that I would have enjoyed it either.
I would ask though, does anyone have any suggestions for tobaccos which smoke similar to this but don't necessarily include the lakeland topping?
Don't get me wrong, I fully plan to keep this in my rotation, but I was just super impressed with the tobacco itself. A great smooth, cool, chewy smoke. I tend to stick to non aromatics and am wondering if there is another similar burning blend on the non-aro side I could try out.(I feel like SPC Mississippi River had a similar mouth feel, but is a little more rough around the edges compared to how smooth Ennerdale is)

Mar 1, 2014
It's funny how the smell of a cigar or pure dark fired tobacco is just as much a stretch for me as Ennerdale was.

Then there's Grousemoor from Samuel Gawith, fresh from the tin that stuff was over-the-top even for me.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Well, you could give G&H Best Brown #2 a shot. To my palate, it's the base flake used to make Ennerdale. Both are lovely blends. You may also want to visit Glengary Flake and Grassmere Flake, same stuff, different flavorings.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If you ever wanted to know what it's like smoking a urinal cake this is defiantly it.

But, whatever floats your boat is all that matters. :wink:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you ever wondered what it'd be like to smoke the scented soaps that your lady buys then give this one a go.
Personally I hate this stuff. It tastes like a flower scented bar of soap. It's terrible. On top of it tasting so bad that nasty taste lingers in your mouth for days. Not to mention how bad it ghosts your pipe.
John Oliver did a skit about Olive Garden that ended, "Olive Garden, when you're here... why are you here?". I'd say, "Lakelands, when you're smoking them... why are you smoking them?".
I know some people love Lakeland blends. It's one of those many things in life you just learn to accept.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
+1 on G&H Best Brown #2 potentially being the base flake.
Good on its own(BB#2), but I have been mixing it with other lakeland blends to cut either the strength of the topping flavor or strength of the nicotine. I love dark flake scented, but too strong to be an all day smoke for me; cut it with some BB#2 and its off to the races.
Month in and I still really enjoy Ennerdale flake, it is just so weird/unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.