PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have a David Enrique smooth pot that I adore, but I'm wondering if the diameter of the chamber could be enlarged, as it's probably ~18mm while a pot is often 20 or 21 mm. Enlarged it could have more capacity for a longer smoke. But I'm thinking that given the quality of the grain and the lighter finish and the possibility for the drill tear up the inner rim, probably best to do nothing.
Opinions? Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd leave this one as is and buy a pot shape pipe with a larger diameter chamber. Re-drilling the chamber could have various negative results unless it were done with expert care/knowhow. Since you'll be buying another pipe anyway, right? Aren't we all?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Re-drilling a chamber isn't super easy, but widening with a sandpaper wrapped dowel would be pretty risk free.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Go on eBay and buy a clunker or two. Try enlarging the bowls, and honestly evaluate your results. I think you'll find it's best to leave jobs like that to the pros.

Mar 1, 2014
I've done a bunch of pipes with a die grinder and a wood carving bit.

Overall, I kind of wish I had left most of the pipes in stock condition, the narrow bowl does work better with some blends (especially flakes).
I say get some beaters for cheap and try your hand at it, just make sure to use a caliper to keep track of how thick the Briar is around the entire surface of the bowl. I prefer to keep a wall thickness around 10mm, even though "some" new pipes do come with walls as thin as 5mm, but I think that's kind of pushing it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...and then you'll always be feeling the bowl is too hot. Nah, buy the next pipe and use this one for flake/coin/plug/rope.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think you're good to enlarge the airway, but go slow and be quite methodical. I opened the button too far because I got bored sanding and my attention wandered.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm going to leave the chamber alone. I don't want the precision edge of the inner rim degraded by my or some other well-intentioned person. Thanks all for your input!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, enlarging the draught hole should be a breeze. Just be sure to use a variable speed drill with an automatic brake and go slowly. Be sure to withdraw the drill a couple of time to clear the flutes.
I've done this to many pipes using a 4mm bit and every time there was an improvement in the performance of the pipe. I did it last night on a Charatan Gilpin (reject) and the difference was considerable.
To the OP, enlarging the bowl size is not really a job that many folks would like to take on. Far too many chances for things to go tits up.
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Morning Jay:Thanks for taking time to answer,I did this manually using files,(eneded up with saticfactory results)since you're in Britain you may wanna explore the following site:modellingtools.co.uk,

Ps.do you never use those of clay chips/meerschaum chips when filling up your bowl ?
Regards, Paul

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I urge you gentlemen to eschew such artifices as chips, balls, or cotton swabs in your chambers, both pipe and room. If the tobacco is properly prepared, you'll have no need of extra fussiness. By properly prepared I mean dried, rubbed out or not, properly loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.