PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
So there we go again,just recently got some five brand new medium priced Peterson pipes,would not imagine but this how it goes,3 of them got some minor blemishes,Ashford had sloppy finish with pit marks,this now is in process of restaining then another Aran with partly oxidazed stem already,and finally Waterford 999 rhodesian had both a tad off line stem bent,which I managed to correct using a heat gun,now this pipe has also a hair off line drilling and air/drafthole is a bit too narrow restricting free airflow,yet am experiencing some gurgling with this one,So here my question,which rule I should follow if enlarging draft hole in the bowl, using a file.I guess,for the time being,I'm pretty much done buying any new medium Petersons I ain't got time doing finishing work for the factory no more.Thank you for your advice,much appreciated, Greets, Paul

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I doubt enlarging the draft hole in the shank will do much. If the airflow is restricted when the pipe is assembled, the draft hole would need to be ramped downward, or the tenon cut shorter (what I'm saying is, there's a chance the tenon is getting in the way of the airway inside the mortise, have a look).
I gave up on new Petes years ago. They just don't "get it" as a manufacturer, or rather, they have a legion of fans who are happy enough with the pipes, so there's no real reason for Peterson to make big changes.
Start buying Castellos, this stuff goes away.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have one Peterson, a 1/4-bent Donegal Rocky bulldog 80s. Arguably one of the most comfortable pipes to hold or clench. But it has a draft hole misalignment between shank and stem. I never bought another Pete, reasoning that if they can't make a 1/4-bent that can pass a pipe cleaner, they don't deserve a second shot -- no matter how attractive the shape.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
All you guys who have sworn off Petes for QC issues, give their higher grade lines a shot. I'm a seriously picky SOB, and have found little to complain about with them:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/peterson-quality-today-example

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/peterson-silver-spigot-shape-107

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/peterson-supreme-bent-billiard-shape-9s

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/peterson-silver-spigot-shape-01

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/peterson-royal-irish-poy-2003-no-shape-number

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/peterson-royal-irish-shape-106-wlong-and-short-stems

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/peterson-gold-spigot-dublin-shape-120

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
George, I agree, the better Petersons are a much nicer product and a much nicer smoke. I got a 140th Anniversary pipe 10 years ago, and it's excellent in all ways. It took me about a 1/2 dozen "factory run" petes to figure out that mostly they are pretty middling.
But if you tell me I gotta spend 300 bucks on a Peterson, I'll just spend 340 and get a Castello at this point.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I won't criticize a $100 pipe for having mediocre grain -- or even surface finishing -- but all their pipes should be technically sound. 'Squatch expressed my feelings pretty well. But thanks George. It is reassuring to know that their higher grades don't suffer from these sorts of problems.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Funny, I got about 80 Petersons that I smoke, lower and higher grades including systems, without problems.
Something wrong with me ?[*]

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I agree with others here, my two Petes are both a waste of my time. I have plenty of other cheaper and pricier pipes that smoked the Petes out of town, so why bother with a lousy smoke?
Someone will enjoy them, just happened to not be me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My advice, buy older, higher grade Pete's. I just picked up this 1998 Supreme. The tenon is as nicely finished as I've seen on any artisan pipe and it passes a cleaner easily.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Jensen, there's a few ways to answer your presumably rhetorical question.
It's possible your Petes are "lucky draw" ones and better than average.
It's possible your smoking style - cadence, tobacco choice, packing is somehow more ideal for the pipes.
It's possible that your Petersons are poor, and you simply have no idea what a better pipe smokes like, not having had one. I don't know you and I don't mean to make that sound nasty; I have however had many conversations which started out with someone claiming that pipe X was a "terrific smoker" and the conversation turns to me saying "funny, I always found them to need a few pipe cleaners to stop them gurgling" and the answer is "Oh, yeah, I run at least two pipe cleaners every smoke, for sure, but other than that, it's a great smoker."
And this type of answer, this weirdly apologistic routine where pipes that taste foul or gurgle, pipes that are drilled weird and block up with tobacco, these are all "great smokers". And of course, under a certain definition, a lump of pine with a hole in it is a "great smoker".
To me, if I have 2 pipes and one of them performs flawlessly - no gurgle, great taste, easy burn etc and another one under the same conditions performs less well, then the second pipe isn't a great smoker. That's what great doesn't mean. Again Jensen this isn't directed at you per se - perhaps your Petes are excellent and lucky you if so. And I don't want to turn this into corn-cobs vs Artisan pipes or anything like that.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
hank you sasquatsch.............over the last 55 years I have smoked at least 300 pipes,most English brands.

I have two Dunhills which are bad smokers but I would never say Dunhills are bad pipes as I also have some

which smoke fine.

The pipe world would be poorer without Peterson.

(Talking about pipes only smoked by me)
Regards Jørgen

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I agree completely - Peterson represents a long tradition in the pipe world and hopefully they can continue to do so.

Before you start altering the pipe, I suggest you send them back to the retailer or contact Peterson. Dr Grabows seem to have less issues, and Peterson needs to know the issues their pipes have. And yes, if someone is going to get a Peterson, avoid the hell out of those lower level pipes. Some of them may be perfect, but even if only 10% of them are lemoms, that still makes the roll of the dice stacked against you.
Did the draft seem blocked before you bent the stem? If so, you may have pinched the draft while the stem was warm while you were bending it. Trying to file out a bent stem, without straightening it is an impossible task. I’d just send them back to let the company, so that they’ll know that they need to fix QC issues.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For a Waterford line, I'd be inclined to sent it back, but shipping would be about $30 total. Perhaps they would ship it back (repaired/replaced) gratis.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank You Gentlemen, I've been learing here and Y Tube long enough to get these minor?Issues sorted out by myself somehow, now this 999 Waterford performs more or less satisfactory after enlarging a bit tenon and draft hole. Todays I have received my last brand new Peterson 407 prince from them Sterling silver line (unfortunately P Lip)to my surprice it was 89% good only minor tenon and inside stem filing was needed to make the airflow a bit more open,satisfied,but tell you what,to say the least,none of these my newer production Petersons does not smoke the way out splendidly as does my Genod,Comoys or Italian made Stanwells.Nonetheless I'm pretty happy with them all my Petersons, since this could a been much worse.I'm now pretty much done with newer medium priced Peterson for my life,and If I will look further at Petersons then it'll be only the older ones or higher ends which I simply can't afford buying today.

Cosimic:You Nailed it,more than true,simply as send em back to vendor and save your nerves,is it the customer supposed to do finishing job

for them factory with no compensation in sight?This reminds me of the days how Soviet consumers were struggling with them domestic made consumergoods always modifying and repairing.Thank You for Your input in this query, much appreciated. Greets and Happy Holidays, Paul

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Peterson and whomever you brought them from thanks you for not bothering them about their shoddy work.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Should someone want a new Peterson stem installed and fitted at them factory,I got the current price for the work 35e($40) plus 12 e(14$)for the shipping within Eu, US&Canada shipping is obviously even higher.Waiting is approximately some 1-2 month

Status
Not open for further replies.