PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Well, this turned out to be a very nice evening. Moved into a new much bigger place with the woman. Bought a 55 inch LED tv, and now relaxing on the couch with Christmas Vacation on the bluray surround, puffing on some 2013 Christmas Cheer in my Comoys 1977 Christmas pipe, and sipping some Makers Mark.
I've had the week off to try and relax and deal with things, bereavment leave to be exact. My Mother died on Saturday morning at 68 years old from a short battle with Alzhiemers.
Between that and the moving, this is a well deserved relaxing moment that can only be understood by my fellow Brothers of the Pipe.
Warren.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Sorry to hear of your loss. A short battle with Alzheimer's is probably better than a long battle with Alzheimer's, but having seen it once, I know that sliced in any way, it isn't pretty.
If it ever warms up enough to smoke again, I will enjoy a bowl of something stout in my 1983 Comoy's Christmas pipe and think of you.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Condolences to you and yours for your loss. Alzheimer's is tough -- my mother-in-law's bout was long an difficult.
Congrats on the new place. Nice that you can relax a bit with a good drink and a good pipe.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Condolences. Any mother would be happy indeed to hear that her son is finding ways to enjoy life, even in the midst of all this. Our time here is short, and the years pass too quickly.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ska:
I am truly sorry for the loss of your mother.
She went quickly, man, so count your blessings A bout with AZ/Dementia will drop most grown men to their knees.
I've watched my 91 year old father in law fade into the background for almost two years now and my 87 year old dad is just starting the journey.
It really is the long goodbye.
Fnord

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Skapunk, it really is important to take time for yourself and I am glad you are doing so. I also lost my mom recently on September 21st. It was unexpected and honestly, I'm a bit afraid of. Christmas this year. This time of year invokes some strong memories of mom and I miss her. I wish you well man, lean on your lady and anyone who is close to you. I have come to the realization that we don't get to make the rules, just play by them. As a person who can empathize with your situation, I am very sorry for your loss. God bless sir.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, thank you All for sharing with me. It really means a lot.
Alzheimer's is a horrid disease. I can only be thankful that it was a short bout. The thing is with this affliction is that when it sets in at a young age, it moves quickly. I've had countless people try and empathize with me by telling me their stories with thier grandparents passing away from this. As much as I can understand, from seeing my dad's father fade into black when I was 17, it is not the same.
I'm turning 39 this month, and im an only child. My mom had 8 miscarriages before me, and I was almost 3 months premature in 1974.
I was her treasure.
I should not have to see my mom fade away in front of my eyes like this before im even 40.
She should not have to lose her livelihood this early.
Judy led a good and healthy life, quit smoking in 1973, drank little to none, had jobs taking care of elderly and disabled people, and volunteered at animal shelters.
This disease has no prejudice, it is evil in every way.

andrearoberts

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
My condolences to you, Ska. Alzheimer's is one of the worst conditions and the main thing is that she did not suffer for long.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My condolences and sympathies. Sorry to here about your mother. At the same time, I'm glad you've got a new place and have found a chance to enjoy it for a while.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Sorry for your loss Ska. On that journey with my 80 year-old mother. Too often we guys don't look after ourselves. Take the time to decompress and give yourself permission to grieve. Still dealing with the death of my dad two years ago.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Ska I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. Losing people is always hard but a relationship between Mom and Son

is a very special one. Its the hardest loss you will experiance. Tonight I will raise a glass in her honour.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Sorry to hear that your mom passed away. My mom has been declining daily for nearly 2 years with COPD and other issues. It is for this reason that I collect pipes in honor of my dad a pipe smoker but I do not smoke since it would be disrespectful to my mom.
I will say a prayer for you and your family. It is also special that you have your partner to help you during this difficult time and the holidays ahead.

Jan 8, 2013
Condolences, Skapunk. I wish I could say more but I can't, as I've never been through what you had to go through and are going through now. All I can say is your in my thoughts and prayers.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Condolences to you and yours for your loss. Alzheimer's is tough I had a unlce who had it .

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Ska there are no good words is there, you will miss her for a long time, my Mom died in 86 and I still miss her, what can I say but you are in my thoughts young man.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Thoughts and prayers to you man. God gives many gifts peace being the greatest of these. The final gift. This time of year of course is rough I'm experienceing this myself as my Nanny passed a few months back. The picture you painted though is a great one. Happy for that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My condolences to you. My mom passed several years ago after a long bout with Alzheimer's. Cajun said it well, there are no good words. But your mom lives on in your memory and you are her legacy.
Merry Christmas to you.

bill708

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully, modern science will find a cure for this devastating disease. Bereavement is important, my friend. Both of my parents died without any notice, and I was in shock, not realizing, at the time, that my head was spinning! It took time to get myself on the ground. Try to have a pleasant Xmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.