PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Not long ago I restored an old Kaywoodie that, under the grime, brought out its factory stamping real well. I was asked if I enhanced of recreated (or something along those lines) the stamping or found it under the filth: I provided the answer I just gave to the fellow that asked. Anyway, this got me to wondering is it possible to enhance, recreate, alter the stamping? And if so, how is it done? Then I wondered about the ethics of it, too: personally, if I did that and it ever left my possession I would disclose that fact but who's to say the next guy would? And how often has this happened and the "next guy" or thereafter not known? Surely it would make a difference in value: maybe lower it when disclosed (?) or raise it when not.
I'd really like to hear some of your thoughts on all these questions. And a thank you all in advance for the discussion that (I think) will develop on the subject.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cool an ethics question.

As a pipe smoker, I believe that as a matter of personality/persona of a "real" pipe smoker.

If you decided to "enhance" the markings and then decided to sell said "enhanced" pipe.

I think ethics would demand "disclosure".

While non-disclosure would probably have some positive effect on the "value", disclosure would have an adverse effect on the "value".

Or stated another way:

While non-disclosure would probably affect the the value in a positive way, disclosure would adversely affect the "value".

:D

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I see nothing wrong with enhancing the stampings--if you mean make them stand out more-easier to read. Changing them in any way would be like changing the numbers on a six cylinder 70 Barracuda and selling it as a Hemi "Cuda".
BTW,if you figure out a good way to make stampings clearer and easier to read,please let me know!

Aug 1, 2012
I see nothing wrong with enhancing the stampings--if you mean make them stand out more-easier to read.
I couldn't agree more. As long as nothing was done to change the content of the stamp, only make it more visible, I am all for it. It does seem like it would be a hard thing to do correctly though.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I threw the "alter" in there last minute, thinking of the "Fake Dunhill" that recently sold, as titled, on eBay. Ed, I've experienced the alteration you refer to first hand in the car business: people will put in sticker, glue on badges and them "create" a more desirable vehicle. And I've seen many fall for it, too, including a former used car manager I worked for; I got more than a small amount if pleasure pointing out THAT mistake on his lazy-part! LOL
I, too, think enhancing what was/should be there would be difficult on at least some pipes. And I'm not 100% sure if I'd be comfortable doing it. But if I ever try and succeed I will share. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't think a pipe stamp should be enhanced to improve legibility.

If the pipe is valuable, even a faint stamp, or remnant characters, will suffice.

In the world of collectibles this sort of tampering is seldom viewed as an enhancement.

If the pipe isn't valuable, then enhancing the stamp probably would not be worth the effort.
Even if one enhances the stamping with perfect fidelity, he should always make it known.

This thread could also be expanded to include other forms of refurbishing.

Should you mention that tooth chatter has been removed from the stem?

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I don't think a pipe stamp should be enhanced to improve legibility.

If the pipe is valuable, even a faint stamp, or remnant characters, will suffice.

In the world of collectibles this sort of tampering is seldom viewed as an enhancement.

If the pipe isn't valuable, then enhancing the stamp probably would not be worth the effort.
Even if one enhances the stamping with perfect fidelity, he should always make it known.

/quote]

I think I agree with completely. I tend to like to tinker but I'm not sure this is an area I'm real comfortable "fooling" with.

This thread could also be expanded to include other forms of refurbishing.

Should you mention that tooth chatter has been removed from the stem?[

Another good point of thought/ discussion. Personally, I don't think removing "light" chatter is a big deal to even mention. But if it has been sanded a lot (thinning the stem by a good portion) or other repairs have been made (dents filled, holes patched) I think that should be disclosed. I don't know if anyone of you can patch a hole/fill a dent to make it unnoticeable or not but I'm not at the point of being able to say I always can. So if I were to sell/give away a pipe without mentioning that it would be dumb, since it would be obvious to any semi-knowing eye. But I bet there are folks that can make it (almost or maybe totally) invisible and I wonder their thoughts?

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Personally I don't know how anyone could enhance stampings on a pipe without making it very obvious. I have seen stems that we're re-stamped with original logos and it should be disclosed when selling a pipe. IMO any changes in nomenclature to a very collectible pipe would definitely lessen collector value. And a knowledgeable collector should be able to tell if all is not kosher. At least that's my opinion, I'm sure others will weigh in on this as well.
Damn I hate the auto correct on this iPad!!!! Always have to edit when I push reply too quickly!!! LOL

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I agree with doc. Cleaning a pipe up, which will naturally enhance the stampings is one thing. Quite another to alter them in any way. Also, I think it'd be pretty obvious to spot the difference.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
The thing that really ticks me off is when you have a pipe worked on by a "professional" and they buff the pipe too much and the apparent pipe stamping becomes less readable and can not be bought back. I have even been asked by owners of B & M's if I want my pipe polished and I always respond "no" thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.