English/Aromatic Crossover Suggestions Please!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I love latakia, but sometimes like a bit of sweetness with it. I love all the Frog Morton Series blends, but am having a hard time finding more flavored latakia blends. If anybody has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
Josh S.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I have the same dilemma. I just ordered some P.S. proper English. To be honest, it smells like burnt tires from the bag. I'm a little afraid to try it to be honest.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
PS Proper English is, IMO, an ok standard english mixture. Its pretty lackluster, or at least I thought so. Chealsea Morning and Maltese Falcon are much better on that regaurd. Gatlin-Burlier has a house blend called Cumberland that is better than Frog Mortons choices.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Hey hodirty, I always recommend H&H's Mazatec in these situations. It's a little different from the Frogs, but still in the same category, and it's an excellent smoke IMO.
P. S. I love The Gatlin-Burlier's Cumberland as well!

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
You could consider Cornell & Diehl Two Friends English Chocolate and Sam Gawith Perfection. I ordered both recently but have yet to open them, so I still can't give my two cents. And, I would't call P.S. Proper English a crossover blend per se, but it is a great english blend that smokes particularly well in princes, pots and rhodesians.

Mar 1, 2014
Recently I've found both Mississippi River and Presbyterian to be very enjoyable. Reasonably sweet, and a little smoky. I don't think either one is aromatic, but sometimes I wonder. Good Virginia will do that to you.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
+ one on Mississippi River, nice butterscotch sweetness to it. I'd also suggest Petersons Balkan Delight.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
McClelland No. 2020 Matured Cake
McClelland’s #2020 Matured Cake is unlike any other bulk flake. Lighter grades of Virginia are combined with a generous amount of one of the finest of all Macedonian Orientals - Xanthi. A condimental amount of Latakia is included for body. The blend allows the sweetness of the flue-cured tobaccos and the bright floral qualities of the Xanthi to shine.
This is my favorite smoke at the moment. McClelland tobaccos burn surprisingly cool. They are a little hard to get started so drying the 2020 is a must and I even put a little Carter Hall on top for kindling start. Not sure exactly what your looking for but this tobacco may work for you.
The 2010 and 2015 make excellent cellar prospects. Just 2-3 mths curing is miraculous!

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I am a huge fan of crossover blends and have tried most of the major ones. Crossovers are an American type of blend, for the most part, so the majority of them are from American companies (although the Gawiths make a very limited number).

At the top of your list, I think, should be 2 blends from Boswell: Northwoods and Countryside. These are insanely good, 5-star blends and I cannot imagine a crossover smoker disliking them (especially if he is a fan of any of the Frog Morton's).

From C&D, I highly recommend Epiphany. This is a re-creation of the classic Revelation blend and is a really great product.

Just For Him makes a blend called Shortcut to Mushrooms that has become the pipe world's equivalent of a "cult classic." it doesn't actually have mushrooms, of course, but it is an exceptionally good example of how to mix Latakia with flavorings to produce something utterly unique.

Hearth and Home recently released Fuslier's Ration, which has become one of my "desert island" blends. It is a rich, complex blend with an unusual flavoring added. Russ Oulette, the blender, has developed a unique way of creating aromatics that manages to avoid all the pitfalls of that type of blend (tongue bite, chemical aftertaste, googled up piped, difficulty burning, etc) while delivering tons of flavor instead of just making it smell good.

Last but me least, 4Noggins makes Bald Headed Teacher, which is a Latakia mixture with some kind of vanilla/plum flavoring that has become fairly popular.

I think all of these blends are winners and worth buying. While I am not personally a fan of the Gawith crossovers, many guys swear by the chocolate flakes they produce.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I would recommend 3 blends from Just for Him:
Shortcut to Mushrooms: Black Cavendish/Latakia, classified as an unknown blend, it rates a 3.5 on TobaccoReviews.com. It's among my current favorites. Has an incredible taste, aftertaste and mustache note.
Whiskey Biscuit Gravy: Latakia/Black Cavendish/Vanilla, also classified as an unknown blend, it rates a 3.4 on TobaccoReviews.com. There is no whiskey casing or topping as far as I can tell, so I don't know where that comes from.
Black Magic Woman: Latakia/Perique/Black Cavendish/Burley, another unknown blend, it rates a 2.7 on TobaccoReviews.com. Some say it's similar to Shortcut to Mushrooms but without the "mushrooms". I find it distinctly different enough that I keep both. All three of these blends from JFH light & burn very well.
Another English blend that I find rather mild and with a pleasant after taste is regular Frog Morton. Rated 3.2 on TobaccoReviews.com.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
+ for English Chocolate. I also like C&D USS Mason which is a lat blend with brandy topping. I have herd very good things about Sillem's Black but have not had it yet. The other suggestions here are very good as well. you have your work cut out for you but someone has to do it, right?

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Wow, thats a heck of alot of suggestions. I'll be sure to try as many as possible. Thanks to all you guys for the great suggestions! I will pipe throgh them all if i am able lol. Thanks again.
Josh. S

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Frog Morton, any blend, they all taste the same, its the 1-Q of mild latakia blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.