PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Can anyone recomend a true english tobacco that would meet the old english purity laws?

Not some Americanized version.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Jaysin, you would have to order from Mr. Snuff, but I highly recommend you try Revor Plug. I think it would fill the bill for you. That is, if you don't expect a true old English tobacco to have Latakia in it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The new GL Pease article, on this site, has this question asked and I believe Mr. Pease provides some recommendations. It's a good read either way.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/ask-g-l-pease/ask-g-l-pease-april-2012-volume-12/

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I don't know that classic English mixtures did NOT contain latakia. It was my understanding that the British just didn't name the latakia in their mixtures but rather just lumped in under that "Oriental" moniker. Some blenders used it in their Virginia/Oriental mixtures and some didn't.
From what I understand, the British purity laws just forbade the inclusion of flavours other than natural extracts which is why the Lakelands are so floral and herbal. With a lack of ways to instantly flavour and sweeten tobacco the British turned to processing like stoving, pressing toasting etc and to naturally fragrant tobaccos like Orientals to flavour and make distinct their individual mixtures.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"I know true english blends donot have lat in it."
Really?! That's a new one on me.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
It's kind of like someone telling you that you can't use powdered oxo type broth or heavy amounts of salt in your soups. You will then turn to ingredients and methods of cooking to yield tasty soups. In my opinion the use of ingredients and processes to bring out flavour yields a better product than an instant flavouring. It also makes a better cook, or in context, tobacco blender out of you because it forces creativity and passion for flavours and textures.

clunk

Lurker
Apr 9, 2012
Without any Latakia

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2203_339545712

Purchased from Pipes and Cigars

Click here

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Don't start that Scottish mixture talk damnit! HA HA HA. To me that just seems like a category of tobacco that didn't need to be made.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ cortezattic: Yeah I have been telling off high priced businessmen and lawyers and pointing out their ineptitude all morning so I'm all fired up. I just love the look on their faces when I open my mouth and they realize that the guy sitting across from them in Carhartts and work boots is an educated man who can see through their appearance and expects results. Never let 'em see ya comin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.