PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I often go to www.tobaccoreviews.com to see what people are saying about blends I have or am thinking about trying. TR is a great site and allows one to search and sort by blend types. So I was surprised to find the way the site classified a few blends I was searching. Now to be fair, TR is user driven and the users can edit many fields include Blend. So with that I went to Cornell and Dielh to see what they classify the products. Well that was interesting as they classify them different yet.
This found me sending them an email and asking what distinguishes English and Balkan. Below is the reply, which does clear the mud... a little:
The hard truth is, nobody knows. In recent times, the Balkan descriptor is typically applied to blends with are more Latakia and Oriental forward than Virginia forward. A good Enlgish example in our line up might be Piccadilly by Pease or Mountain Camp by C&D, while a Balkan mixture would be something far heavier on the Latakia and Oriental components such as Star of the East by C&D or Odyssey by Pease. The descriptors are murky at best and have been the topic of much debate and discussion on online forums and in smokey back rooms where pipe clubs meet. Historically, things are even harder still to follow. Many of the pure Virignia blends of old were once described as English simply because they had no extra flavorings added.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In recent times, the Balkan descriptor is typically applied to blends with are more Latakia and Oriental forward than Virginia forward. A good Enlgish example in our line up might be Piccadilly by Pease or Mountain Camp by C&D, while a Balkan mixture would be something far heavier on the Latakia and Oriental components such as Star of the East by C&D or Odyssey by Pease.
Seems pretty clear to me. If the Latakia and Orientals are used as condiments, the blend is English; if they dominate the taste, it is Balkan. This might be clarified by saying that Balkan blends are a variation of the English blend in which Latakia and Orientals take a more dominant role.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Seems pretty clear to me. If the Latakia and Orientals are used as condiments, the blend is English; if they dominate the taste, it is Balkan.
Not that clear at all, if there's latakia then it can be simply a latakia blend. Personally to me there's no such thing as a Balkan blend as nobody can firmly grasp what it is.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I have a similar question. What's the difference between Balkan and Oriental? They seem to contain the same types of tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a similar question. What's the difference between Balkan and Oriental? They seem to contain the same types of tobacco.
True. But, Oriental blends don't have to have Latakia. They may have Izmir, or Macedonian, or Yenidje, or Smyrna, without Latakia. But smokers also label many blends as Oriental which do have Latakia. So, it's essentially a mess.
My personal take is that it is a matter of balance, dependent upon which leaf is highlighted. If the mixture highlights the Balkan content over Latakia, it's a Balkan blend, like Balkan Sasieni, which highlights Macedonian leaf. If the Balkan or Oriental leaf is more of a condiment, and the Latakia is more dominant, it's English, though some say that an English blend doesn't mean that it contains Latakia. Seems a logical way to approach designations, which is why it isn't followed.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I never had much of a problem and still don't with the English designations. English is the Class, then we move down with specifics to Order, Family, Genus and Species. A balanced VA-Lat-OR blend is a classic English, heavy on the Latakia and Oriental is a Balkan, Light to none on the Latakia and it's an Oriental, throw in some Cavendish and it's a Scottish blend.
The problem I have with latakia blend is....it's not the only tobacco in there. It makes as much sense to me as calling them all English does to you.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Blenders can call the blend what ever they want. I believe that there is no longer any hard and fast rule. I always read the list of tobaccos and even then not all of them are listed (Secret Ingredients). Just smoke it if you like it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There never was a rule. The term was first used, as I understand it,in Balkan Sobranie, and it took off from there.

It's all marketing.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Not that clear at all, if there's latakia then it can be simply a latakia blend.
It could be in both categories. A Latakia blend to my mind is one where Latakia is the central flavor, and everything else is in support of that.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
English is the Class, then we move down with specifics to Order, Family, Genus and Species. A balanced VA-Lat-OR blend is a classic English, heavy on the Latakia and Oriental is a Balkan, Light to none on the Latakia and it's an Oriental, throw in some Cavendish and it's a Scottish blend.
Good analysis.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
There never was a rule. The term was first used, as I understand it,in Balkan Sobranie, and it took off from there.

It's all marketing.
I am constantly confused over the matter but this seems to be the most likely explanation!

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
There is only one category that matters......if it tastes good it goes on the reorder list; if it does not it disappears from history.
Keep your stick on the ice; we're all in this together.

Status
Not open for further replies.