PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
English blend lovers....are there blends that are easy to smoke and pleasant to non-smoking friends?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you try some of the crossover English blends, you might find one that you like and has a pleasant room note. But since I smoke for taste, not room note, I can't be much more help then that.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Captain Earle's Ten Russians. Or better yet, Peterson Old Dublin... That is, if you find the smell of burning, sweat-soaked sneakers filled with doggie-doo, pleasant. :rofl: Seriously, I have yet to find one. I've found as Jud has. If I'm smoking just for me and my pleasure, English blends are great. If others will be around, I smoke something that has, at the very least, a tolerable room note. Good luck!
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
This is one that a lot of English and Aromatic smokers really like. (Edit: Some don't. It's one of those love it or loath it blends. But, it has been around for 200 years; so they must be doing something right.)

There is virtually no room note.
Samuel Gawith Grousemoor

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Lawrence?! Why are you telling him about that blend?! If he likes it, it'll mean less for you! :rofl:
-Jason

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
There is a minority of Aromatic Blends that contain Latakia. Cornell and Diehl does list their Aromatics containing Latakia at this address: http://cornellanddiehl.com/aromatic_blends.htm There is a total of only eight aromatic blends containing Latakia. Captain Bob's Blend is one of those eight. I have smoked them all, and all are very pleasing to me. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find "Aromatic Blends Conatining Latakia". I am confident that any one of those will be pleasing. Good luck in your search. My suggestion may help you. I hope so! Searching is so difficult and costly. But, this Forum can help you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
FWIW, my wife loves the smell of Syrian 3 Oaks. She also likes the room note that LJ Peretti's Omega produces. Ditto FMOTT.
On a different note, I think that Peretti's blends are some of the most under-appreciated, and under-discussed, blends around.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Lawrence?! Why are you telling him about that blend?! If he likes it, it'll mean less for you! :rofl:

You're right Jason... That's what I get for being a nice guy.... :D

But, I have a secret... I buy 3 tins, smoke one, cellar the other two... Have six in storage thus far.

So much for that secret. :oops:

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
There are some tasty sounding blends in there. I only smoke one areo, Nutty Irishman, but I am now thinking about trying a couple others.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
You could try layering a mild English with 1Q, which would smell nice and taste pretty good, in my opinion, at least. I have done it with Blue Mountain before, and liked the combo.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Best to find an aromatic to smoke around nonsmokers as all my english blends smell like a sweaty saddle or a wet dog.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I used to smoke Balkan Sobranie (the old days,) and I had any number of people remark on how pleasant the tobacco smelled. On the other hand, there were those who would wrinkle their noses and ask: "Who are you trying to please with that stuff." My answer was simple: "me."

My college roommate used to say: "Other people smoke tobaccos that smell like cherries, like a walk in the woods, and you smoke tobacco that smells like farts!" de gustibus ...

Ditto for aromatics. You will smoke something that has a fragrance of cherries, or vanilla, or some other pleasant substance, and again, you will get mixed reviews.

IMHO: the bottom line is that you should search around for the tobacco that you like the best and smoke it. After all--it's your pipe, and you're smoking for your own enjoyment. Have at it!

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Smoke PA as a rule. Since I switched to online purchasing I've gone back to English Blends/Mixtures I smoke in self exiled "chicken's lair". Wife says they smell like burning damp autumn leaves. That's as close to a compliment as there is. Like to buy sampler packs that have one or two likely 50 gram samples in the selection. It's a love 'em or leave 'em with English flavor. I'm lovin' 'em. Have to be fair and admit there are some pretty good aromatics now that didn't exist back when I gave them up and they're common in samplers so I'm getting a re-introduction into variety. I recommend everyone should occasionally try a little something different once in a while. The experience can be a pleasant surprise. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.