PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmare

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
Howdy!
I'm looking for some feedback as to good bulk English blends.
Of course Good is subjective!

I've realized my smoking habits blow through my tins way too quickly. More quickly than my wallet can afford to replace. I've become deathly addicted to Dunhill Nightcap, but they're a bit pricy. Anyone know of a bulk blend similar to Nightcap that is relatively cheap?
I've been looking at my go-to tobacco vendor, and I saw these that struck my attention:
Smoking Pipes - McClelland Bulk 5110 - Dark English (Ranked high on their bulk sales)
Smoking Pipes - Newminster No. 17 - English Luxus (It's new, but it sounds good - But I couldn't find any reviews, probably due to being a new label)
In a perfect world I'd love to just buy a little of everything, but honestly I just can't afford to do it. I'm looking for some assistance!

driftstage5

Might Stick Around
Aug 13, 2011
Smoking pipes sells Peter Stokkebye Proper English which is good. Also, some Cornell and Diehl Billy Budd which Smoking pipes also sell in bulk is good.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 on PS Proper English.
Blend 5 from Sutliff Private Stock ( Altadis ) is a good all day English smoke and it comes in 8 oz cans for $15-16 plus freight.
The Newminster 17 English Luxus sounds like a Mc Baren redux of PS English Luxury, which I have smoked before and it was a bit lighter than Proper English if I remember right.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Guess what's available in bulk from P&C now?
Edit: my bad, it's sold out but you can still get Black House in the 8oz tin.
http://pipesandcigars.com/hehomablho8t.html

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I ordered 8oz of the tobacco that won the Grand Prize at the Chicago Pipe show this year. It's "Princes Street Mixture" and is Excellent! It was $28.75 American with shipping. That's about $4.79 per 2oz as opposed to $10 - $14 for tinned tobacco. You can't beat that for an absolutely wonderful English!
http://www.chiefcatoonah.com/ccm-2012.html

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Newminster Ultimate English No.52 is a great new English bulk, and priced right too. I've smoked the McClelland 5110 Dark English and enjoyed it, (It's a close friend's absolute favorite bulk English) but personally I preferred their bulk No.1 Balkan and their bulk Oriental blend over it. Like TopD, I also have some Princes Street Mixture from Chief Catoonah, and am really enjoying it. If you order some of that, grab at least a sample of their Yale mixture as well.
There are so many H&H English blends that are really nice; Daybreak, Mt. Marcy, Beverwyck, Admiral, Ambassador, Steamroller, Larry's Blend etc., that a sampler from them might be the way to go? Lots of good stuff out there :)

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Boswell's Northwoods gets high recommendations when compared with Nightcap. I haven't tried it yet but am looking to. It's $3.95 an ounce...

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
I order alot of Pirate Kake in bulk as well as Lancer's Slices. Two of my favorite tobaccos both available in bulk at a decent price.

knightmare

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
Howdy guys!
An update as of 22JUN.

I ordered 16oz of PS Proper English, and 4oz of Newminster Ultimate English No.52. They arrived yesterday.
Newminster UE52 tastes almost exactly like Dunhill Nightcap to me, smoked about 3 bowls of it so far. Love it. Will buy more in the future. Cheap, great strong smokey flavor. Earthy wood burning bliss.
PS Proper English is lighter in taste than the two (nightcap/52). It doesn't have as strong of a smokey flavor, but is very good. It's the perfect middle ground. It's great! It is on my go-to list now. And it's great because sometimes I want something a little lighter than nightcap, but still the smokey taste and this wins the gold. I think this just got promoted to my "all-day smoke" tobacco. Sometimes too smokey of a flavor can be a little overwhelming, and this just seems.. well, right! But I still need to smoke more to appreciate the blend.
Will try some of the other recommends on my next orders out.
Thanks again for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.