English Blends and Latakia Blends - One in the Same?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I think this is a great educational article for any newer pipe smokers, and a nice reminder for the more experienced of how things were in the past, and how they have changed as we moved into the present regarding what is referred to as an "American Blend" and what is referred to as an "English Blend" ... and a Latakia blend!
Great job researching and writing it Bob! I learned something here myself.
Reminder: Please post your comments on the article. Thanks to papipeguy for already doing so!

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Great article Bob.. I must admit I was guilty of this association. Now that I know better I will not do so in the future.. thanks for the education. Well done!
Kevin.. I tried posting this on the article link three times with no success.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Bob, this a good piece on illuminating that the origins of the term “English Blend” is the result of previous purity law requirements. However, I would eliminate both “English Blend” and “American Blend” from your list. Since the purity laws are no longer enforced and the classifications you give that follow them render these terms meaningless in regards to blend type. Both the UK and the U.S.A. make all the other blends you listed. Outside of geographical curiosity these two blends (UK/USA) do not offer the pipe smoker any useful information in my opinion.
Geography is important when classifying types of tobaccos and where they are grown but not necessary when classifying types of blends.
It’s analogous to the questions “What kind of car do you drive and what are you smoking?” “I drive an English car and I’m smoking an American blend”. These answers are not very helpful but “I drive a sports car and I’m smoking a VaPer” are a little more clarifying.
Anyway, that’s my suggestion if simplifying blend classifications is a goal.
EDIT: bow, I had the same problem.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I also tried posting on the article with no success.
I make a distinction between an English blend and one with Latakia. I wouldn't class Mac Baren's Latakia Blend or McClelland's Samovar as English, for instance. There's a difference.
However, I tend to think of an English blend as a loose recipe consisting of a Virginia base and a noticeable amount of latakia. I understand this was born out of antiquated British law, but that's etymology for you.
I feel that it's unnecessarily confusing to throw out this definition in place of one that classes solely according to national geography. By this reasoning a 20 year old tin of Nightcap would be considered an English blend whereas something current would not. Any old tin of Peterson would be English and any current tin would not.
To me, an English blend is simply a style with a fairly reliable definition.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
A well written article, on a subject that continues to provide

controversy. Thanks Bob!

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Great article Bob! Tho, even with clarification, I will continue to call them english blends, for the sake of how easily it rolls off of the tongue.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for posting your comments guys. They are showing up now. Comments on the blogs have to be approved before they show up, that is why the do not show up immediately.
We also have tons of spammers that post on the articles and a lot of comments get put in the spam folder and have to be approved.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great article Bob! And I agree it makes much more sense to use the term "latakia blend".
Also, it would be nice if all blends disclosed any and all additives they may contain...preservatives and otherwise. Do we really even know what additives may or may not be in any given blend these days?

glynnquelch

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Nottingham , UK
One side note, GH & SG consider a Balkan as Virginia & Latakia (which of course is an oriental)
As for them being "pure" with no casings, many Lakeland blends have been around since before and during the days of the purity laws. So even a Lakeland is an English blend.
I think i am the only English blender who uses the Term English and thats thanks to the internet. But then again we class a sticky gloopy aromatic as an "American Blend" and i am guessing blenders in the states dont call them that either *wink*

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice job Bob. The nomenclature is very haphazard for sure, and the article helps clarify it. I hope Forums members,

myself included, will remember this when they write reviewers and discuss tobacco. It is much more useful to always

list, to the degree possible, the constituent tobaccos in a blend, and to clarify whether it has any detectable flavoring,

casing, or preservatives. When we get into Orientals, Balkans, and other perhaps-non-aromatic tobaccos, it really

gets cloudy. Burley blends such as the non-aromatics from Cornell & Diehl introduce a whole new category and sometimes

additional confusion. This is a really useful article and breaks down the language, use and misuse, very well.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Interestingly, my inaugural Out of the Ashes column in July, 2010, addressed a similar issue.
And, Glynn, you're not fully alone, mate. At least one blender on this side of the puddle refers to them as "American Blends."

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
How would one classify a blend that has these listed in order;
Virginia, Burley, Latakia, Perique, Turkish?

or

Burley, Virginia, Turkish, Latakia?

or

Cavendish, Latakia, Burley, Virginia?
:puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.