PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
i have tried my first english tobacco and i am hooked on the flavor, its all i think about at the moment but i do have a question. what would be some good english blends that i could use to compare other blends to? im smoking finks cigar co. english supreme and i really like it but i know that there have to be better blends out there and i want to know were i should start in my journey for my favorite english blend.thanks guys and please tell me what you guys started with and what you smoke now i really appreciate it. Brian aka the corncobguy

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
IF you can get them, I'd recommend Dunhill My Mixture 965 and Penzance as they are 2 outstanding blends and I assume you mean Latakia blends. There are hundreds of "English" blends so you won't be bored. They range from mild to very strong in strength so it may be best to start at the beginning and work your way up. Others here will suggest many fine blends. Good luck on your journey and welcome to the forum.

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
thanks guys im gonna order the dunhill nightcap and the dunhill mymixture 965 and frog mortons right now.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
People tend to compare to their favorite. Experiment until you find that! You all know what I reccommend, already. No complaints about EMP, though. It was my first English.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
yes there are many english tobacs out there. take your time, you will find something you like. good luck too you sir. if anyone is interested, my local b+m carries penzance and dunhill 965 in bulk. kremers smoke shop in louisville ,ky. they will ship directly to you. thier ph# 502-584-3332.
mike.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
All the FROGS,& BLACK HOUSE you can't go wrong. Funny enough I don't like EMP or 965 but most people do, which only proves that everyone has their own tastes.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am rather fond of Peterson's Old Dublin.

I still think Black House is one of those, like many other English (OK, English-Balkan style in this case) blends that it really helps to know English blends rather well to truly appreciate it.
I think rothnh is spot on with this. IMO, Penzance, Black House, Blue Mountain, Larry's Blend, and, I am sure, many others, are not a good place to start with latakia.

A lot of guys here seem to like the Frog Morton series. Those are light crossover lat blends, with a top note of some sort added to them. I personally do not care for them - I didn't like the top note at all. But when I tried them, I was a very experienced latakia smoker. They just did not do it for me.

You might, while you are trying EMP, try some Sam Gawaith Skiff, which is another light English. Squadron Leader, from that house, is another fine example of what I refer to as an all-day English, like Old Dublin.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I'm hooked on Just For Him's Ruins of Isengard. I'm having my first bowl of Black House right now and I'm really enjoying it. I didn't like 965 at all when I first tried it but I have some in the cellar I intend to try now that I've stepped a little farther into the English realm.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
If you want to try something a little different try Shortcut to Mushrooms. I really like it.
+1 on ruins of isengard but STM is even better.
Frog Morton Cellar is also good.
D

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Honestly, I think my own Meridian is closer to an old, standard "English" mixtures than anything being produced today. It's medium in strength, complex, rich, and very well balanced. It's actually one of my all-time faves, and no, I'm not exactly impartial. The Dunhill blends, now produced in Denmark, are quite different from their original form, as are most of the once great English tobaccos, and I find nothing traditional about them in their current form, though at one time, I would have considered London Mixture the standard bearer for the genre.
Joshwolftree mentioned Sextant, and though I'm certainly really proud of this one, and smoke a lot of it myownsef, it's not really a conventional mixture in that it does have a kiss of rum in it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I was smoking a lot of English blends, one of my favorites was Two Friends Deacons Downfall. To my taste it was a nice full English but with the added perique and black cavendish it gave it a sweet and spicy thing that really was tasty. This blend was created by Greg Pease and Craig Tarler, two guys who know a little about blending.

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
thanks alot everybody that has posted there recomendations and i hope to try all of them.as i am just starting out( 4 weeks now) would anybody suggest that i buy bulk blends seeing that they are cheaper and easy to get my hands on.like i was looking at C&D orient express 4oz for under 10 bucks and dunhill EMP4oz for 13 bucks at those prices im in( if i enjoy them anyway. thanks again guys Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.