PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmreleaser

Lurker
Mar 8, 2012
Ok, I am an aromatics smoker and I am curious about English Blends so I have a couple of questions for the experts:
1- Do they always have Latakia?
2- Are they basically drier than aromatics? I've once bought some that was dry it almost turns into powder when you try packing your pipe.
3- What should a beginner English Blend smoker start with, that doesn't scare him off smoking it because it's too harsh or smoky etc.?

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I personally went from Aros to VAs and VaPers but wanted something with a little more depth. I am currently smoking G.L Pease's Lombard which is a good intro to latakia, which I believe is the cornerstone to an English. I also think that everything is drier than an aromatic.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Some say Latakia is so essential to an English blend that it is the defining element.

Check out Bob Tate's article, English Blends and Latakia Blends - One in the Same?

Greg Pease's article, What is A Balkan Blend, may also be of help.

Some English blends may be referred to as "dry", but only in the sense of "not sweet." Like any blend, they should be normally moist.

Coming from an aromatic background as you say, I highly recommend Two Friends' Valle Crucis. I think it's the aro smoker's stepping stone to English blends.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Certain ones have too much nicotine for me, I prefer the milder English blends:

- Magnum (Boswells)

- GLP (Meridian & Chelsea Morning)

- Dunill MM965 (my max)

kmreleaser

Lurker
Mar 8, 2012
Wow !! That was really Helpful so thanks a million ! I think I will try to get some Old Dublin and Some Dunhill MM965 and try to man up a little.
Cheers

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Old Dublin knocks me around, too, but I'm a nicotine light weight.
McClelland's Celebrated Sovereign is a good, medium-level English without a hard nicotine kick.
It's my "go to".

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
if you want something solid, but not overly complex, I reccommend H&H Black House. For something with complexity, but on the lighter side, I'd say Frog Morton on the Bayou.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
McClelland's Celebrated Sovereign is a good, medium-level English without a hard nicotine kick.
It's my "go to".
Thanks Bigvan, I've yet to try a McClelland's blend and will add that to my list.
Is this it? I couldn't find a "Celebrated Sovereign", but this is "McClellands Ashton Revival: Sovereign", same thing, right?
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=64707
003-041-0128.jpg

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Not all english blends have lat in them. The ones that do are light med heavy bold blends based upon how much lat is in them.

I think its african queen that I had that had no to very little lat

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Yeah, that's the one I'm referring to, Al. It was originally an Ashton blend but when they changed all their blends a few years ago, McClellands bought up the names and recipes and started reproducing them. I think they did a pretty good job, too.
Jaysin, there ARE blends made in England that do not have latakia, but an "English blend" is (for better or worse)synonymous with a "latakia blend". Unless it's a Balkan. If you go to a pipe show and someone asks you what you're smoking and you say "English", you're saying "latakia". Common parlance but maybe not exact.

Status
Not open for further replies.