PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
I just opened a tin of H&H White Knight. I bought it because, per H&H's description, it is supposed to be an imitation of the original Balkan Sobranie, which I've never had.

It really does nothing for me, but I'll smoke the whole tin to give it time to maybe hit me.

I've recently been considering trying a few English blend tins and was wondering if the Balkan Sobranie clones are an English blend? If so, I might want to reconsider.

So, the questions:

a) Are the BS clones a type of English blend?

b) Did I choose the wrong BS clone?

c) What is a good English blend to try?
Thanks,

Matt

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Defining Balkan (in terms of pipe tobacco blends) has been batted around on various threads in Forums lately.

Bottom line by my reckoning, Balkan has Oriental or Turkish leaf as part of the blend, but beyond that, there

isn't a distinction.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hello Ash, Try Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend from Dan Tobacco, or from C&D, Constellation, or Byzantium, or Super Balkan. I always use the descriptions of blends on the Pipes&Cigars site when comparing blends. You can also use one of several sites that do tobacco reviews. 8)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Do you like Latakia? If so, perhaps it's the Oriental/Turkish component that you don't care for.
If that's the case, just look for Latakia blends that don't use this type of leaf:
Lancer's Slices

Frog Morton

Northwoods

Bald Headed Teacher

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Balkan Sobranie

Balkan Sasieni

Balkan Supreme

Yenidje Highlander

Red Odessa
Amazing blends there. Happy exploring!
Duane

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I can only answer C, and I would recommend avoiding most of the American blends mentioned by the others (certainly try them at a later date if your wallet allows) and get a real English "English" blend, Samuel Gawith's Commonwealth. I'm surprised it wasn't already mentioned.
50% Latakia, 50% Virginias. It's also got some balls to it where many of the other blends mentioned are quite limp in that category.
Try Commonwealth first.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
White Knight is, indeed, very close to my memory of the Balkan Sobranie Original I smoked in the early 1970s. I enjoy it, and Balkan Sasieni, a lot. I am totally unimpressed with the current rendition of Balkan Sobranie.
That being said, I would not recommend those blends to a beginning piper or as a first venture into latakia blends. Lots of guys think that the Frog Morton series is a good intro to lat. I can't really comment on that in a meaningful way; I have been smoking latakia blends for far too long.
"Balkan" is a marketing term. In the US, it was originally used for blends that were trying to catch some of Sobranie's aura. The line between Balkan and English is pretty fuzzy. In the UK & Ireland, they simply refer to blends with or without latakia.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@uncleblackie C&D's Pirate Kake is 70% latakia. Give that one a try, I love it!

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Well acquainted with the Pirate, and I do enjoy it for sure.
Of course my tastes may change over time, but currently I've got to have at least 25-30% Latakia in a blend or I just don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.