PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugaplum480

Lurker
Sep 24, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Alright, so I am primarily an English blend smoker, on the occasion I'll have a Virginia blend, but never really did Aromatics.
So I figured I'd see what an English Aromatic blend was like, and to my surprise it wasn't too bad (Cult Embassy) is what I had.
But what was better is that my girl really liked the smell and let me actually smoke in the house last night!!!!
So I need some suggestion and good English Aromatics if you got em', cuz it may be worth having some around for the occasional "I wanna smoke in the house" nights.

Reactions: MyCombOver

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Bengal Slices

SIllem's Black

Blend for Cary Grant

Two Friends English Chocolate
is good but I like adding more Latakia

Frog Morton's Cellar (I add Lat)

Boswell's Northwoods

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Caan't help ya Mate. Tried some English off an on an they not for me. Lot o people swear by em though good luck with ya

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't try to walk that edge. If it's aromatic, that's how I categorize it. Many have some Virginia, burley, and maybe Lat and Perique, and maybe some Orientals, etc., but if it is flavored with non-tobacco, I don't try to pin it back to English per se. Some are called transitional -- then nomenclature gets so blurry it isn't useful. English is non-aromatic as a category, and flavored (with non-tobacco) blends are not. I know there are all kinds of exceptions and variations to argue, but that's the reason to make an effort to keep it clear and simple as possible.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Esoterica Pembroke (lf you can find it).
An excellent cross-over blend.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
English Aromatic makes me laugh. They were called English blends because they could have no added flavors. It's a bit pedantic, but I think you mean Latakia aromatics.
While I agree with you, some of these terms have become fluid. I think common terminology today 'English' has come to mean a Latakia blend.
Similar to how there are two camps with the term 'Balkan'. In one camp, Balkan means a blend containing Lat/Va/Turkish-Orientals, that is Oriental forward. The other camp says 'Balkan' is a tobacco containing Lat/Va and sometimes other tobaccos. (Gawith and Peterson use the term 'Balkan' this way)
Any which way you call it, 'English-Aromatics' is a term a lot of people use to describe lightly topped tobaccos containing Lat/Va and sometimes others tobaccos.
(And yes the pedant in me says, "English means tobaccos without added flavors")
Also, enter the term 'crossover'

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
Lane HGL

Sillems Black

Shortcut to Mushrooms

Perfection (VERY light on the Vanilla)

Cross Eyed Cricket (Not a fan, but you may be)

Bald Headed Teacher (Burley Forward with some Lat)

64alex

May 10, 2016
GH Bob's chocolate brown. I would call more a crossover, mainly Virginia but with a touch of Latakia and Burley and very well balanced with cocoa, chocolate and vanilla casing. I had a bowl last night and it was great particularly the first 1/2 (after that the chocolate/vanilla note subdue and it loses part of the balancing taste).

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
All the Frogs are definitely worth trying. I find HGL a bit boring. Boswell Bear Blend is very light on the Latakia but is a great blend. And Cult Conspiracy is just addictive.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
Vauen: English Blend No. 22 50g
"Vauen No. 22 English Blend is a creamy English crossover, blended from smokey Latakia, black Cavendish, golden Virginia, and just a pinch of Burley for spice, then lightly topped in vanilla and bourbon for a touch of extra sweetness."
I burned through a tin this past summer and it was definitely a nice crossover. This coming from a guy who generally detests aromatics. The tin design on what is currently available is different than the tin I smoked, but I imagine the blend didn't change any.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I'll pitch in a very strong vote for HU's Khoisaan. Syrian latakia, perique, dark fired Tanzanian virginia. Creamy, complex, lightly sweet from the tobaccos alone, and a decent nic kick. Simply delightful.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"Doesn't that eliminate it from the aromatic category?"
You'd think so but there is enough sweetness there to merit the description although it's far from a burley candy bomb. Nevertheless I don't think even hard core aro fans would turn their noses up at it, especially those wishing for a more substantial nic hit.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant and Missouri Meerschaum's American Patriot are good aromatic English blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.