PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shade91

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
Good day!
I've been pipe smoking for about a year now and I notice a bit of an issue when I get near the end of a tin (approx. 25% remaining): it tastes burnt, flavor is gone, perhaps burns too hot. Really just completely unsmokable. Huge contrast, doesn't make sense to me.
I suspect the tobacco is getting dry at this point, but while it has less moisture to the touch, it doesn't feel THAT bad. I simply don't understand why the first half of my tin, which I usually smoke within two weeks, is beautifully flavorful, without any nasty charred notes at all, and then that happens, usually a month after opening the tin.
I should note that I've tried storing in a mason jar, as well as keeping it in the tin and putting that in a Ziploc bag. No difference -- when I get to the end of the tin, it's unsmokable.
I should also point out that I have a very delicate cadence -- I can't imagine I'm over-puffing.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Question for you.
Are you smoking that one tin exclusively or do you have a tobacco rotation?
I find that if I smoke a particular blend exclusively for too long I almost lose my taste for it.

shade91

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
I only smoke one tin at a time.
EDIT: I can sometimes go a week without smoking though. This was the case yesterday: I hadn't smoked in a week, pulled out my tin and it tasted disgusting!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Try a rotation between a couple of blends that are not too similar. I find it almost cleanses the palate.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Maybe you're smoking the best strands at first, and gravity and your own hand picking are leaving the "dust" at the end?

25% sounds like too much, but the end of the tin is never as good as the beginning to me.

Sometimes I use a tea strainer for those last loads.

shade91

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
I think it's probably a combination of the 'dust' as you put it, and drying over time as well as drying faster because its not compressed in the tin with the rest of the tobacco. I just don't understand why it happens at ~25%, and why it's such a huge contrast. I should try smoking a tin very quickly to see if time has anything to do it ;)

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Jar it once open and at preferred level of dryness. As stated above you should have a rotation. Keep it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.