PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2013
I observed a guy emptying his pipe today in an unconventional way. He lifted his left foot to his right knee and knocked the pipe on the side of the shoe. I was wondering if it's an old tradition or a custom, where it comes from and how to properly perform it. Anything relevant would help. Thank you!

unclefester13

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
My father (pipe man till his 80's) use to do that, lol. I use to see that in the old movies as well, but didn't think guys did that today, especially after paying so much for a pipe.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I'll usually use the palm of my hand or the side of my shoe to empty my pipes. I don't think there is really a technique per say, but I would say be gentle as not to break the stem or chip the bowl.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I use the palm of my hand. That way I can gauge just how hard I'm "tapping" my pipe.
Of course, the measure of a manly man would be to do it while the tobacco is still smoking hot . . . :puffpipe:

chaplainmike

Lurker
Oct 7, 2013
My Grandfather and my pediatrician were both pipe smokers and I saw this many times growing up. I will only do it with soft sole shoes. Like Cosmic said, I don't think this is anymore dangerous than using a cork.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I will confess that I used to do that, and once in a long while will still do that. Make sure that you support the bottom of the bowl as well as the shank and stem when gently tapping your pipe on your SOFT rubber sole. That mitigates any risk of snapping the shank.

Frankly, I usually just tap it out into the palm of my hand, and even then, have my index finger extended along the shank and bottom of the bowl to support the pipe.

Oct 21, 2013
Thank you guys for all your replies. I'm a newbie and any knowledge is appreciated. It was a cool thing to see, especially that this guy was in his late 60s at least, had sandy-brown hair and same-colour eyebrows. He was wearing a black pin-stripe double-sided 3-piece suit, a burgundy bow-tie, burgundy pocket hanker, white shirt and black lacquered shoes. On his west he had a golden chain with a pendant, and possibly golden pens in his side pocket. He was also wearing a few golden rings on both hands. He smoked a brown straight pipe, and made everything and everyone around him seem shamefully run-of-the-mill and insignificant. I was a cross the street in my car and could not take my eyes of this movie-like scene until he entered the building and i could not see him anymore.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I use the palm of my hand too. After the pipe goes out. I'd hesitate to use my shoe because if I did, I'd find out I'd also stepped in shit. And, nobody wants shit on their pipe.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I was kinda joking in my previous post. It's just like rothnh said, pipe smoking is all about what works for you. If you're enjoying it, you're doing it right.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I've developed a fourteen step procedure for emptying a pipe, including color photographs. The book will be available in all book stores and pipe shops in time for the Christmas gift giving season. At $75 US, it's a bargain.
:wink: :roll: :wink: :roll:

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I use the palm of my hand because I like to see how much tobacco is left and make sure I'm getting all the goodie out of it !!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Mostly, I use my wedding ring. It's always there, convenient, and it works. The pipe attracts the women, but when it's out, my wedding ring empties both the bowl, and my female fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.