Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nothing new, but yet another article outlining the attack on smokers

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see my state isn't among the ones with smokers protection (GA) I hope we can change that. All I can say is if my employer goes that route, and it looks like they're headed in that direction, I'll have to find another job. I'll not let my employer dictate to me what legal activities I can or cannot do in my off time, unless they're willing to have me on the clock 24/7.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. havanarick

havanarick

Login to Send PM

My wife pays an extra 30$ a month on insurance because she smokes. it is crazy

"The best place to smoke a pipe is under a no smoking sign"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just don't like it.

There's some employer in the comments section professing since "she signs the paychecks" she should be able to hire whoever she wants. to that

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
    — Pythagoras
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$130 a month extra

My two cents... since I'm dealing with HR all the time....

What about obesity ? I'm a lean guy, work out regularly, take the stairs all the time, usually running up two at a time and found out I'm often in better shape than a lot of people around me. But yes, I smoke. I'm predicting the day where we will have "body fat measurements" to set your health insurance premiums. Give it 5 years. tops.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can already get denied health insurance based on obesity.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

"she signs the paychecks" she should be able to hire whoever she wants.

Yeah, let's see if that saying applies to the disabled, minorities, woman et. al. (wow, hope this doesn't open up a can of worms).

I personally do not mind if an employer says you can't smoke on the property. Fine, your building, your rules. But...BUT, since when can they dictate what I do on my private time, in my home, in my car, off their grounds.

Fine, I wont smoke, I'll just starting drinking a 5th of Jack every day...

Hopefully one of these days my business will take off to the point I can expand and hire staff, and by God, I'm hiring smokers only!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know it's hard not to start a political argument when things look unjust.

But I will not do that, as I can hear a moderator coming with the Forum Rules heh.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i worked in a processing plant for years,as smoking rules became more aggressive we first lost our right to smoke in the lunchroom, so an indoor smoking room was added for us. Next we lost right to smoke indoors so a smoke shack was built for us outdoors. Next we lost right to have an enclosure around us so we lost our shack and had to stand in snow and rain. And finally we lost the right to smoke on company property!!! so we had to go to the road.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. kamikazesasquatch

kamikazesasquatch

Login to Send PM

Would it be better to be hired with the condition of no smoke breaks?

No, my name is spelled 'Luxury Yacht' but it's actually pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I could live with that.

Before striking out on my own last year, I previously worked for a phara company for 6 years. When I got hired they made it clear there was no smoking on the premises. The knew I was smoker, they didn't treat me like I had a third eye, just simply, you can't smoke on the grounds.

Ironically, before that job, I worked for a local tobacco company and I got to smoke while I worked.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hell yes ... this isn't so much about not being able to get your nic-fix in the middle of the day (at least not to me). It's about dictating what people do in their own lives away from work. They're not just saying you can't smoke during work hours, they're just refusing to hire people who smoke at all.

This policy really is a joke, when you get right down to it. Their employees will still smoke if they want to, they will just have to be a little clever about hiding it.

The principle though, is the policy so highly un-American.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. kamikazesasquatch

kamikazesasquatch

Login to Send PM

Cool. I was just curious. I would see not hiring a smoker as more of a "I don't like what you do at work" thing more than a "I don't like what you do on your own time/home" thing. Just curious if that's how this was being taken or not. I guess since you're self employed now you can smoke on the job too eh?

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I guess since you're self employed now you can smoke on the job too eh?

No, damn smokers, so unproductive!

But seriously, I do actually have one client who smokes a pipe and when I'm done with the photo shoot will come out and smoke a one with me before I depart.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow... I believe here in NY it may be illegal to smoke in a company owned vehicle as others may have to drive or ride in it later. There was talk of making it illegal to smoke in your personal vehicle if you had a child in the car with you!

We live in a crazy time... ABC did a story tonight on DWAC. Driving With A Cold! seriously! They (insurance companies and govt agencies)are doing studies that show driving while sick with a cold is as dangerous as driving drunk!

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hopefully one of these days my business will take off to the point I can expand and hire staff, and by God, I'm hiring smokers only!

Godspeed

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

ABC did a story tonight on DWAC. Driving With A Cold! seriously! They (insurance companies and govt agencies)are doing studies that show driving while sick with a cold is as dangerous as driving drunk!

Based on this absurdity, I propose the following.

I think it is a fair assumption, with all the cars on the road, world wide, that there is at least 1 automobile accident that occurs with in mere moments of me stepping foot outside of my home.

Based on this, the government shall ban me from stepping foot outside, naturally this will require me to be put on a nice gov't assistance program.

After several years and auto accidents have not declined, the gov't will decide that it is because, even though I have not stepped foot outside, I am still physically close to the front door, in which case the gov't will expand my house by some 10,000 sq ft at least.

After several more years of no declining automobile accidents, internal gov't documents will state banning me was an abject failure, while maintaining to the public that I will indeed require a larger house, in the woods, to prevent me from being close to the front door, after all, when I step foot outside, an auto accident occurs, so therefore it must be me causing said accidents.

The gov't, some years since my death, will eventually acknowledge banning me was a failure, while still continuing to pay my estate handsomely.

Okay, think the pain meds kicked it...but hell, this is just as absurd a theory as the smoking crap is... !

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

illegal to smoke in a car in nova scotia canada with a child under 16 yrs of age.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The gov't, some years since my death, will eventually acknowledge banning me was a failure, while still continuing to pay my estate handsomely.

BIG smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

everyone stay home, in bed, with a mosquito net, applying antibacterial wash. Insurance company profit margins depend on you!

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

This is colossally obnoxious and absurd.

Here at PipesMagazine.com, we prefer staff that smokes a pipe!

Not to highjack, but I was extremely pleased to here from Carter, the guy that writes the legislation column, that he has quit cigarettes and is now smoking a pipe.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. drsam

drsam

Login to Send PM

I guess that George Orwell was right....just wrong about the date.

Paul, when I opened my first business in 1995 I put up "smoking required" signs.

I had no trouble finding good techs.

Sir Walter Raleigh, name of worth, how sweet for thee to know.
    King James, who never smoked on earth, Is smoking down below.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. vroomfondel

vroomfondel

Login to Send PM

That makes me feel quite good about my workplace. Even though there are rather strict legal regulations about indoor smoking here in Zurich, my employer allows me to smoke my pipe in my office, as long as noone complains about it.

Therefore, only Dunhill Royal Yacht has been banned from the premises

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. riptide

Charles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lucky Dog.

Charles D. Wilemon
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't see how an employer can justify refusing to employ someone based on what they do in their spare time, as long as it does not effect their work life. Should people who take part in "extreme sports" be refused employment on the grounds they might be injured and not available for work? I hope those behind these policies will "smoke in the here-after" if you catch my drift!

Albert Einstein said "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. romanza10

romanza10

Login to Send PM

It's more nanny state nonsense. Of all the places I've worked, smoking has never been an issue, even the time I worked in a grocery store. My current employer is a smoker, my previous employer was a smoker. I apparently have a knack for finding jobs where smoking is not an issue.

The thing that really concerns me is that it's smoking now. Some one mentioned obesity, next they will get on to what we eat. But hey, lets not stop there, lets find out if you drink a couple of beers on the weekend. And they can add more and more to the list.

They will start with unpopular things like smoking first and just escalate it from there. I mean how to you stop something like this?

For the love of all that is sacred, please do not microwave your tobacco.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. dimm

Dimm

Login to Send PM

Yup that slippery slope is definitely slippery. Today it's pipes and cigarettes and cigars. Tomorrow it's fags and queers. After all, you're allowed to hire whoever you want right? Bunch of hippie idiots...

I'm glad I live in Montreal. In Canada we do have a lot of anti tobacco laws and taxes but in Montreal, which has a strong French heritage, there is much less social stigma towards smoking.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Sometimes being a tenured full professor has its advantages. While I can't smoke inside academic buildings, what I do outside is completely up to me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. profpar

profpar

Login to Send PM

Sometimes being a tenured full professor has its advantages. While I can't smoke inside academic buildings, what I do outside is completely up to me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

At the mortuary we all smoke together in our own little lounge. We compare pipes and cigars and stuff. At the hospital, only a few people even know I smoke and I keep it that way because they are way too nosey.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. loneredtree

loneredtree

Login to Send PM

Maybe employers should read this....http://dengulenegl.dk/English/Nicotine.html

It may have been posted before but I couldn't resist. It was 7 months ago.http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/science-is-conclusive-tobacco-increases-work-capacity#post-81096

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. majilton

majilton

Login to Send PM

living in the uk my job was with the government revenue and customs when the smoking rules came in we were given a smoking room then that was taken off us and we where outside in the street.They built a hotel near our building and we where told the hotel was complaining so we where moved further down the street.It didnot matter that we where there years and the hotel was just built.Anyway they moved us that far away.It was probebly costing more in staff time the distance we where all going around the building.Then we where hit with the pubs clubs resteraunts.A few weeks ago i went with my son to watch the football and have a coffee with a sheesha Anything to smoke a pipe :lol:But when i was there i was talking to the owner and telling him about the smoking bans ect.And i said to him but i know sheesha houses are different because the laws for sheesha are different then i got a shock he told me.Well you can light your own pipe and also have cigerettes we are never bothered by anyone.So i was sat down watching football with a drink and my pipe.Relaxing and wonderful will i go again i already have.But it seems rules for one and rules for others.Ive since left my tax office job and im always over the limit at customs on holiday

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I believe I would support that business!

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I hope that one of these days my photo biz will take off so that I can hire a staff...only if it's one or two people, and dammit, I'm hiring smokers only!

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The very company that I work for was founded with Tobacco money, And Im not talking a little bit either, It also started a University. That being said.... The same company busts my chops and everyone else who uses Tobacco with Insurance penalties and the like. When we have our live well meetings...Tobacco is the root of all evil and misfortune. Its a shame I dont pay attention to them...

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  36. darryl

darryl

Login to Send PM

I was asked whether I "smoked at work" when filling out a job application form yesterday.

I honestly answered "no", because I know smoking is banned in offices.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dont have insurance thru my job, but they charge more if you smoke, even a pipe. However, and this is silly odd, if you chew or dip, that is not considered tobacco usage?!?

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  38. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

Is this nazi Germany? I belong to a certain anonymous organization that has meeting regularly. One of the spots we meet is an old bar (i know. Go figure) but anyway there used to be smoking aloud in there. Then Columbus started a smoking ban on any business. We thought we were exempt from this since it was a non profit, privately owned facility. Well smoking continued till one day the facility was slapped with a hefty fine for allowing smoking indoors. So the meeting houses "group conscience"(the group that takes votes on issues, and manages the donated moneys) had to put a stop to smoking in the place. Kind of sad that a group of people that are meeting to help themselves have a better life, can't even have a smoke, or puff on a bowl while they get the verbal medicine they need to lead a more productive life. What happened to a "free country"??? maybe im over reacting. It's not about going an hour without any nicotine, its about principals. I'm done rambling. Sorry!!!

There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live.
    -Moliere
    Posted 2 years ago #
  39. jndyer

jndyer

Login to Send PM

We smokers need to look at how the NRA has handled business. The NRA vocally opposes most, if not all, gun control legislation. Because of this, they have not lost on the core issue of personal fire arms. They have had setbacks, but have never lost their right to keep and bear arms.

We, meaning smokers, on the other hand have sat quietly by and only complained to each other about our overstrict society. Each step we have complied with. Could you smoke in another room, yes; could you go outside, yes; etc. We need to start being more vocal about our rights, and start saying no when asked to make another concession.

I will end by saying this, I am not raising my kids to be smokers; however, I want them to have the right to smoke if they so choose (just please let it be cigars or pipes and not cigarettes.)

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. locopony

locopony

BANNED

Login to Send PM

How about smokers just boycotting places that dont hire smokers.
    The statistics are just crap numbers pulled out of their ass. Health care costs for smoker are about 3 to 4 thousand dollars more a year? My yearly health care costs are only about 3 or 4 hundred a year. Were did they get these numbers? And what about the number of people who die from second hand smoke? Is there anyone who, the cause of death is listed as second hand smoke inhalation?

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. locopony

locopony

BANNED

Login to Send PM

I don't do business with bars or pubs that don't allow smoking inside.
    There is a bar in the town near my motorcycle shop that dont allow smoking. Yet I see people there sitting out side smoking. Why do they do that? There are places that allow it inside.
    The city ordinance prohibits smoking in any business open to the public with the exception of bars and pubs. So why patron a bar that don't allow smoking?

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. locopony

locopony

BANNED

Login to Send PM

I guess I should add this. I dont eat in restaurants either, only bars that allow smoking, and offer dining.
    Join in I alone don't much matter, but if smokers united we could prick up some ears. We need to support those who support us and oppose those that don't.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. jndyer

jndyer

Login to Send PM

Locopony, I agree about the statistics. Below are a couple of examples.

My family does not spend more than a couple thousand a year on medical expenses, and there are six of us. The statistics in our case just do not hold up to logic.

My grandfather and his brother who both died at 92 are tobacco statistics according to the CDC because both where avid users. One was a pipe smoker, died of a stroke, and the other a dipper, died of a heart attack. When people asked what my granddad died from I say old age because that was the leading cause of death.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. jndyer

jndyer

Login to Send PM

I forgot to add that apparently since I am a smoker my health care cost would be about negative 2500 dollars a year if I did not smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

mightyblaze

Login to Send PM

It's unfortunate, we should be allowed to smoke whatever we want wherever we want. It's called liberty and i want it NOW!

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   skapunk1, philobeddoe, darwin, gigger48, papajoe, cornlikker