PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's EMMY season and I've been up to my eyeballs in screeners. We've had the first vote and the next round is coming up. I've watched some amazing productions like The Crown, House Of Cards, Victoria, Black Sails, Feud, Mr Robot, Graves, Berlin Station, Five Came Back, Narcos, and much, much more. The quality is staggering.
Do you have any favorites that you think are EMMY quality?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm trying to get through this season of House of Cards, but it just isn't grabbing me as it had in previous seasons. I hope it improves.
We watched the last season of Bloodlines, what a disappointment.
Some potential winners??
Animal Kingdom

Fargo

Better Call Saul

The Expanse (best Sci-fi in a long time)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Five came back really was a grabber, Jesse.im like Al, House of Cards is good but didn't hold my attention , Taboo with Tom Hardy is worth looking at, I was spellbound with the Acting and period costumes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The TV world is so divided and subdivided between broadcast, cable, streaming, and etc., I'm not sure how shows and series are categorized. Some of the best TV, which is really elevated to feature film quality and status, and in longer formats taking many hours to view. I think the old Emmy awards format really doesn't work anymore. The awards will come limping along and eventually maybe catch up so the awards in some way approximatinf the equal status of categories of contestants. Today, I don't know what an Emmy would mean, other than that the show is well connected in the industry and widely distributed to those voting. Not really what awards are supposed to denote.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've watched some amazing productions like The Crown, House Of Cards, Victoria, Black Sails, Feud, Mr Robot, Graves, Berlin Station, Five Came Back, Narcos, and much, much more.
I've watched some amazing productions like The Crown, House Of Cards, Victoria, Black Sails, Feud, Mr Robot, Graves, Berlin Station, Five Came Back, Narcos, and much, much more.
Both Fargo and Better Call Saul captivated me at first, but ended badly. Of the two, Saul was better.
Not Twin Peaks!!
Bolded= I'd vote for, no highlighting= not seen or neutral; Strikethrough= no way. Discussion on the Peaks could get heated!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was very let down with Fargo this year. At the end, it just didn't seem to add up to anything, unlike the previous seasons. Five Came Back is a terrific documentary on a select portion of Hollywood's involvement with the war effort. I haven't been able to warm up to Better Call Saul, but I'll give it another whirl.
The TV world is so divided and subdivided between broadcast, cable, streaming, and etc., I'm not sure how shows and series are categorized. Some of the best TV, which is really elevated to feature film quality and status, and in longer formats taking many hours to view. I think the old Emmy awards format really doesn't work anymore.
When you work in this industry you don't see this as divided because many of the same production teams are working on shows going out on different pathways. Broadcast, cable, streaming, really it's kind of all the same thing. At your end, it's different. At our end, it's pretty much the same thing. As story formats and production technologies change so do the award categories. Like most other industries, entertainment evolves to meet the demands of its time.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"Fargo" was a pretty big "meh" for me this season. Ewan McGregor definitely has chops but the third iteration paled next to the first two seasons.
"Taboo" was my personal favorite and Tom Hardy dominates the screen. Does the third season of "Peaky Blinders" qualify for this year's Emmy awards? (Again, Tom Hardy kills a cameo as a vicious yet weirdly eloquent Jewish gangster in this period mobster piece. I have to close caption the goddamned series due to the muddy-thick UK accents.)
I sorta', kinda' liked "The Night Manager."
I just learned that "Five Came Back" is available on Netflix and I'll start watching tomorrow. Huston, Ford, Wyler, Capra and Stevens? Damn! The weeks out of my life I've spent watching and re-watching their commercial releases is almost embarrassing. John Ford was the best story teller but John Huston - a fine actor like his old man - pressed hard for 2nd place.
Thanks, Jesse. You just made my week.
I gave up watching award shows ten years ago. I follow the arts closely but the talking head actors bore me when they use their acceptance speech platforms as a bully pulpit for the cause du jour: a free Tibet, transgendered individuals, gay marriage, climate change, illegal immigrants, the war in the sandbox, your president or #notmypresident. Please, say thank you and then shut the hell up and go sit down.
Fnord

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
The shows that really hit me are Twin Peaks: The Return (of course) and Legion.
In Twin Peaks, Kyle Maclachlan's character Dale Cooper so far has diminished dialogue, so body language is primary and he kills with it. Great acting and very well written and Directed by Mark Frost and David Lynch.
Legion has some great writing as well, via Noah Hawley, for Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza to run with. Plaza is one of the finest young character actors on the screen today and her interaction with Stevens is tense and mesmerizing. The supporting cast is outstanding and certainly worthy of praise. AUBREY PLAZA FOR BEST ACTRESS !! :worship:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I loved The Night Manager! —though that was last year. And also The Young Pope. Jude Law was terrific, and a very interesting story overall.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I just can't watch tv anymore, too much violence, too many ridiculously stupid commercials. My wife zones out to the repetitive programming . S.S.D.Y.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I watch the shows I like and skip the ones I don't. Gotta watch the Cubbies and "The Great British Baking Show." Don't know why I like the latter but, I'm hooked. Some eggs get broken and beaten, dough gets punched but, that's pretty much the extant of the violence.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I should have put more in my Riverdale choice. For those that don't know it is based on Archie Comics, but it is totally in the vein of Twin Peaks. Nothing is as it appears.

PS - Some of my posts are done on a tablet, so I short shrift the info, as typing is not fun.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a documentary nerd, as well as a Chinese history buff, and I would definitely nominate the recently aired PBS documentary on Chinese history. You'd think, what a yawner. However, the brilliant approach was to use travel and commentary on the 5000 year history of China using mostly sights and sounds from China today. As a proposal, I would have said this wouldn't work at all. In fact, I would expect it to be somewhat comical in effect. But the commentary is brilliantly written, such that you mentally juxtapose the ancient events over the current land and cityscapes, and it comes across amazingly well. Of course they include paintings and architecture from the remote past, but in well considered juxtaposition. It's the best documentary on any subject about China I've seen. It is more upbeat and non-critical than some might want, but to get a mass audience to watch a history documentary, I think this is successful. If it doesn't win an Emmy, I will not be pleased, which will send the TV world into a tailspin, I'm certain. I should explain that my interest in China started in a high school world history class where I did a paper on China of that time. While in the Navy, I made port at both Taiwan and Hong Kong, having vivid experiences both places. I've taken one of the Great Courses series on CD about the history of China and read the most expansive bio of Mao. Etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The China history documentary is "The Story of China" with Michael Wood which started airing in June 2017 and finished this month, in July. Michael Wood is a historian who turns out to be an adept on-screen narrator as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.