PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Got a new IPAD AIR, went to charge it last night by my recliner hit something on it and voice comes at me, Can I help you, my respone was You've got to be F^*king kidding me! looked down at iPad and there what I had said was spelled out. Voice comes out of IPAD. THATS NOT NICE,also spelled out. Surprised the crap out of me. :rofl:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Cajun:
Yep, that's Siri. And I love her. You can get to her several ways, but the easiest is the way you discovered by accident: Hold down the Home button for several seconds.
As long as you have an Internet connection, Siri is available. You can ask her sports scores, what the weather's going to be like, how your stocks are doing, what time it is in London, what you get if you multiply 256 x 32 (or anything else), and virtually thousands of other questions. If she doesn't know an answer straight off the bat -- and Siri's abilities are based on the Wolfram-Alpha AI database -- she'll pull up Web pages that she thinks will help. (I'm constantly asking her, "Are the Cardinals playing baseball today?" She always tells me if it's an "on" or "off" day. And if they're playing, she'll tell me who and at what time.)
When you ask a question, she'll display a transcription of what she thinks you said. If she misunderstands you -- for the life of me, I could not get her to understand the name of my hometown "Centralia" -- just touch the transcription and type in the correct words. That should help her learn how you pronounce certain things.
If you're ever bored, you can even ask her philosophical or nonsense questions. . . and chances are, she'll have a witty answer for you.
And in case it isn't obvious, Siri isn't a real person. Just a "virtual personal assistant." But it's amazing what she can do. (Seems rude to call her an "it"!)
Holler if you have any other questions with the iPad. I've been a passionate user since the original one came out in 2010. (And, yes, the Apple Kool-Aid is delicious! :) )
Bob

Dec 24, 2012
I just tried this:
Me: Why did the chicken cross the road, Siri?
Siri: I have no particular insight into the motivations of chickens, Dean.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
You can even ask if there are any flights overhead. Not sure how useful that is... I don't use Siri much except when bored or when I'm with a group of friends trying to figure something out. Most often I find myself using it to set alarms/timers.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Just to add, I yell at my gps when she tells me where to go when my wife is in the car, just to make sure she doesn't get any funny ideas.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I'm convinced that Siri had a sex change. I refuse to speak to her. In fact, I am too stupid to operate an ipad, so I stick to my Neanderthal Windows laptop. I bet Siri has a huge Adam's Apple...

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Just wait till the house talks back...to late. Eurekas smart house is for sale and it will talk back but not like on the show more like siri. But it is nearly fully automated, toilet and sink hide away once you exit the bathroom. Tv turns on because of a motion sensor by the door.
Dont know if its true or not because it wasnt on a big time house selling website just another scifi forum but still the idea is cool.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
LOL. That's very funny! Never heard of it before so tried Siri - mines a bloke?! I feel cheated! Going to have to change that but now have a new friend. Sad, or what?!
Andy

Aug 14, 2012
My wife asks her iphone questions and it answers them. I recently told her to tell the phone to shut the fuck up. She did so and the phone answered "no need for obscenity."

Status
Not open for further replies.