PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I have no idea what is going on here, I have a Czech pipe tamper that I have used for two years, so I really am getting attatched to it, even though it is a cheap $2 tamper; it has always looked quite stunning. Anyway, now it has developed what looks like a white film or discoloration (not sure) near the bottom of the tamper area, I am not sure what this is, nor can spit, water, or even a standard cleaner remove it like soap or a laundry/carpet stain remover. Anyone had this happen to them, know what it is or what to do with it?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm not a metalurgist but I'd bet the tamper is made from plated stamped white metal. So what you're seeing is the plating wearing off from the heat of the tobacco. Just a guess on my part.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'm siding with papipeguy,
And I don't think it's worth your time to worry about it. If it has sentimental value then get another one and stop using that one? lol

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Your tamper has been infected with recalcitrant plebny, usually a result of a chemical reaction between the tamper's plating and aromatic tobaccos. I'm afraid you'll have to give up one or the other. :crying:
If you're the patient type, my R&D department (Shoelady), is developing an Official PipesMagazine.com Tamper Condom, which would prevent the problem. It could take a while because getting a licensing violation past Kevin's attorneys is a bitch. :lol:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"... it has always looked quite stunning."
Really?! "Stunning"? A Czech tool?
OK.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Cortez ... :rofl:
taerin...I use the same Czech tool, and yes I like them too. They are about 5.00 in Ontario and I buy 3 at a time because for some reason I lose them all the time. So I never have one long enough to wear off the plating. Just buy another and a spare :wink:

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
If it were mine I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like the plating is wearing of and the base metal is showing. Just keep tamping with it, I am sure it still works fine. Just be glad you can still find it. I lose all mine and end up using the tamper God gave me. :D
Cortez, :rofl:

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
547075_476228385725207_358849720_n.jpg

Or get out the tools and get busy making one like this.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I guess I am just using one that is turning white, and no I am not that attatched to it, I just really prefer to keep something for many years, rather than replacing it all the time :P
@cortezattic Man you crack me up!

@nsfisher Nice one buddy, lol!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I ended up tossing the Czech tamper and getting one of those alluminum pipe nails instead. I sanded it with 600/1,500/3,000 grit sandpaper to make it really shiny and smooth, now I live them a lot. They come kind of dull and not very smooth.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It's amazing how darn useful that little Czech tool ends up being. They oughta make a stainless or hard-chromed version so we can have a fancy one if we want.
I'm still laughing at "recalcitrant plebny" :rofl:

Jul 12, 2011
I have been using this one for awhile...really like it...

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-tampers/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=60211

Status
Not open for further replies.