Elliott Nachwalter (Pipeworks) Bent Egg (My Jaw Hanger)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I won this pipe a while back but have just now been able to post pics (which are all that matters, right?).
It's by Elliott Nachwalter from the 1980s when he owned Pipeworks in NYC. It's a straight-grain pipe, but the grain runs horizontal along the sides with a field of birdseye on the heel and front of the bowl.
nachwalter-bent-and-signed-001-600x400.jpg

nachwalter-bent-and-signed-002-600x400.jpg

nachwalter-bent-and-signed-003-600x400.jpg

nachwalter-bent-and-signed-004-600x400.jpg

nachwalter-bent-and-signed-005-600x400.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Peck. I'm more of a Nachwalter collector than a grain hound, but my straight-grain pipes by him are definitely some of my favorites.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pitch that's a lovely pipe. I agree with peck about the grain; it's wonderful.
I have Nachtwalter on my list for future PAD, and am constantly looking for his pipes on auction sites. Still haven't found the right pipe for the right price. But I'm loving the search.
Congrats man.
-- Pat

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Many thanks, guys.
Pruss, if you're in the market for Nachwalter's pipes, I would always check with the seller about fills. Some have some pretty serious and ugly use of putty -- most of these are from the Coral Springs, FL years (c. '79-'80), but many are from the Pipeworks period.
Generally speaking, some of the best pipes are the Briar Workshop pipes from the mid to late 70s (Stowe, VT), when Jim Cooke, Brad Pohlmann and Finn Meyan Anderson worked with him.
However, the best Nachwalter pipes are the ones he made on his own after moving back to Vermont around 1990 -- these are marked "Elliott Nachwalter/ Made by Hand Vermont USA." These almost never have fills and usually have high-quality, very comfortable Ebonite or Cumberland stems (alas, these are usually the most expensive and hard to find).

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the tips Pitchfork. Much appreciated. It's nice to be a more informed buyer!
-- Pat

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Roth.
Many of these pipes had a certain svelte masculinity which I often find rather unique.
I think "svelte masculinity" captures it perfectly. Well said.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
One of the great things about cross grain is that in addition to being unique, it also comes with birdseye. Very nice!

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Beautiful pipe. I decided to buy two Nachwalter's after your post. Thank you for showing.
http://pulversbriar.com/images/DSC0004912.JPG

http://assets.smokingpipes.com/images/products-hr/004-009-5551.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, easygoer. Congrats on your two Nachwalters. That one from Marty should be an effortless jaw hanger -- with a snazzy shape to boot (I shied away from it because of the small fill). And the one from smokingpipes should be a great pipe -- thick bowl, clean grain, and a comfortable stem -- a winner for sure.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pitch, I don't know how I missed this thread. That pipe is gorgeous, excellent cross grain and real pretty birdseye. Congrats on your new pipe, I hope it smokes great for you. I need to start looking at his work more, he does belong in my American collection. How are his stems, are they comfortable for clenching?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, papipeguy.
Thanks, Harris. Sorry you missed this thread before. Even though it's the "wrong" way to do cross-grain (birdseye on the front rather than the sides), I think it came out pretty nice in this instance.
If you're looking for one of his pipes, and I have a good idea what you like in a pipe, I think you'd be most happy with his post-1990 solo efforts. They have great briar with cumberland or ebonite stems that I find very, very comfortable. The airways vary a bit, though -- and I don't think he's as much a stickler for engineering as Rad Davis, for example. In any case, if it's a good looking pipe I don't think you'll have any trouble selling it if it doesn't meet expectations.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Harris, here's a few shots of the stems on my "Elliott Nachwalter" pipes (i.e., not Pipeworks or Briar Workshop):
nachwalter-stems-001-600x400.jpg

nachwalter-stems-003-600x400.jpg

nachwalter-stems-004-600x400.jpg

nachwalter-stems-005-600x400.jpg

nachwalter-stems-006-600x400.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.
That first pipe pictured above (the dublin) is far and away my best VA smoker -- FVF is always a good smoke, never fussy. The chamber is slightly conical -- shaped almost exactly like the outer two knuckles on my index finger. If I were to commission another pipe for VAs, I'd ask the maker to approximate that chamber shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.