PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
Did this one from some scrap briar/had some sand-pits on one side, but gave me practice on freehand drills, and carve'in out one of the shapes I really like, whatcha all think...my first briar wood pipe carve, from block to smoke'in pipe in just under 2hrs :puffy:
photo-79-600x448.jpg

photo-80-600x448.jpg

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
I really dig drilling it that way and leaving the burl on the front. I do think it would be a bit more pleasing to the eye if you did a little more sanding on the shank... just a bit thinner and rounder and i think it would flow very well.

all in all very cool looking.

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks Lawrence, as for the drill'in on this one, best to date that I have done...found that too much worry about it always screwed me up, so since I knew this one had some sand-pits on the block, I just had at it....POOF/perfect freehand drill

Jul 12, 2011
thanks for all the feedback brothers, much appreciated...I put a 3/4" diam bowl on this one as I was planning on smoking flake-style Vs in it and I'm happy to report it is smoke'in very nice on break-in :puffy:
I also got some great feedback/info from Mr. Balkovec on it about getting a can of No wax shallac and shallac the plateau area. I did this and now that plateau area really "pops", Thanks Mark!

Status
Not open for further replies.