Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Elegance and grace, a female pipe smoker.

(52 posts)
  1. mihailo

mihailo

Login to Send PM

Being the young Batchelor I am, I have spent many a time seeking out the company of the gentle creatures we call females. I have yet to find one who fits the bill of elegance, intelligence and by far the deal sealer smokes a pipe with such. I was wondering if I am dammed to this eternal struggle, or am I joined by my fellow countrymen in search? (BTW if the txt is big this was typed on a phone, so not sure).

Dearly your friend,
    cthulhu
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck brother!

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. sailortodd

sailortodd

Login to Send PM

Given that I am the only regular pipe smoker of any gender I have ever encountered in person (if one can claim to encounter oneself), I would not personally hold out hope for a companion of the opposite sex with such a dignified habit.

That being said, I consider my pipe smoking a solitary activity, and do not seek any sort of in person companionship or camaraderie in such activity.

Good luck in your search. Gauge the interest and perhaps create a niche dating website...

Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?
    -poe
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're most likely gonna grow old alone.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're most likely gonna grow old alone.

Mmhmm. I wasn't gonna say it.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am surrounded by a dozen beautiful and scantily clad pipe smoking ladies at all times. They practically worship the ground I walk on and they call me their 'honey bear snuggle bunny love button'. Life is grand.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What world do you live in Anthony? Can I get an invite?

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got mine! We've been smoking pipes together for over 35 years. We're both getting a little long in the tooth now, but we used to be quite the dashing pair strolling down Melrose in LA in the early 80s, with our pipes where we got more attention than the punks with the pink mohawks! One of the best things that has happened to me, and still is. Best friend and wife forever!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are women who smoke pipes. We have had - may still have - female members. Happy searching.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

if one can claim to encounter oneself

Paging Kierkegaard...

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Orley, you've got it good, ol' boy!

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yo mi

Not to raise the high bar even higher, my observation is that female pipe carvers, at least the several I've run across, are pretty hot.

hp
    les

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would rather have a vegan, yoga loving, excercise fanatic, sun avoiding, non-smoking wife about 30 years younger than me. I will do the pipe smoking, meat eating, and excercise avoiding and she can do her thing.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A pipe smoking significant other would be a good thing, but I wouldn't go shopping for specific habits and traits. Nice to have a massage therapist partner, but don't focus on it. People's own chemistry is never something they entirely understand. You think you know what you like and want, but most of the magnetism is not conscious or exactly under your control. That's why people often choose so wrong. The other big factor you overlook is who chooses you back. You can find Miss Perfection, but you may not be Mr. Perfection to her, despite your sterling qualities. So relax and socialize and see who comes along. If she tolerates YOUR smoking a pipe, that might be a good sign. Among thousands of traits, a critical one is what she thinks of you, and more important, how she feels about you. All of this is esoteric, a mystery, and people will never figure it out, which is why there's so much discord and sorrow with love.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe smoking requirement alone wasn't what triggered my response. I think when a man restricts the field, he restricts his chances of finding a woman who will enrich his life. I had a dislike of reporters and the news business in general, I was not the least bit interested in women with small children, I had no interest in finding a woman who, in any way, particularly intellect, superior to me. If I had let my prejudices influence me I would have missed out on the best 36 years of my life.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of the best things that has happened to me, and still is. Best friend and wife forever!

You are truly blessed Orley.

As for mihailo? Ask Orley how he did it.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. mihailo

mihailo

Login to Send PM

Let me say I love everyone's responces, and yes I do agree that limiting oneself to specific criteria does greatly reduce chances, and bypasses chemistry. What I should have stated early is those qualities would be preferable, but by no means are concrete. May we all find the things in life that make us happy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife smokes a pipe on occasion. When we were dating she gifted me a pipe for Christmas. That was many years ago but I didn't waste any time asking her to marry me after that. Further, I must still think she's a hottie because when I load up my pipe, all I have to do is look at her and the pipe lights right up by itself.

Pipestud
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

music4cash

Login to Send PM

Hell I'd be happy if I could find a woman who would just let me smoke in the house...asking her to smoke with me is just getting greedy!

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I once had a very specific kind of woman in mind. A certain look, attitude, philosophy, approach to work, ethnicity... Over the years I've become more realistic. These days I just want to meet a women who exists and even that is negotiable.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am blessed with a good woman who comments only "Oh, you've been smoking in the house" when she comes home and I have not had a chance to air the place out. Right now, with 105º I'm not giving up on the a/c.

And I can't quite agree that all females are gentle creatures, nor would I want them all to be.

I do wish you luck in finding a great mate!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. stranger

stranger

Login to Send PM

I'd be happy if my wife would tolerate me smoking around her. I could never imagine her grabbing it for a puff. Would be pretty cool though!

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. sailortodd

sailortodd

Login to Send PM

Nate, I hear Siri is good company. And if she doesn't fit your fancy, Cortana is the new hot nonexistent female presence.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Lady pipe smokers are few and far between, although the NJ club has a fair number.

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A pipe smoking significant other would be a good thing, but I wouldn't go shopping for specific habits and traits.

This is very true. Human expectations rarely match reality. I balance this with what our church psychologist advised:

"Find someone like you."

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]That being said, I consider my pipe smoking a solitary activity, and do not seek any sort of in person companionship or camaraderie in such activity." - sailortodd

I am really sorry you feel this way. While I enjoy sitting by the garden fountain and meditating while smoking a bowl, I really enjoy the monthly meetings of the New Orleans Pipe Club. We sit around discussing not so much the issues of the day but the latest pipe purchases, the tobaccos members have brought to share and even the quality of the different beers we are drinking.

As for finding the perfect woman, my advice would be to find one you can have an intelligent conversation with whether she smokes a pipe or not.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. reniaeats

reniaeats

Login to Send PM

Found this thread interesting, I've found a fairly big divide about thoughts on female pipe smokers. About half of the people I encounter think it's great or no big deal, but the other half seem to see it as an invasion of the male territory.

If you're looking for a female pipe smoker, she's likely to be a bit of a non-conformist.

Renia
    Posted 3 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here ya go!

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where's Ella Mae??

Great cartoon clip!

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. mihailo

mihailo

Login to Send PM

Love the cartoon.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. robwoodall

robwoodall

Login to Send PM

I know some women.

Hmmm... There seems to be a remarkably high correlation between those who do not smoke pipes and those who do not want to be in a relationship with me.

Bummer.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Daisy Mae? Daisy Mae Scragg? Wasn't Ellie Mae a Clampett? A petty observation. Certainly one that needed to be made though. God rest Al Capp.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're looking for a female pipe smoker, she's likely to be a bit of a non-conformist.

Good point, Renia. But... errr... how many of us are regular ol' conformists?

I see no reason to look for a mate on the basis of a single qualification, e.g. pipe smoker. Find someone who is good, who matches you, who is like you.

She can always learn to smoke a pipe later!

But even more: let her be her own person...

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see no reason to look for a mate on the basis of a single qualification, e.g. pipe smoker. Find someone who is good, who matches you, who is like you.

She can always learn to smoke a pipe later!

But even more: let her be her own person...

But even better: Make me a damn sandwich.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My advice to the youngsters is to marry "up." For the vast majority of men such should be an easy goal to achieve.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. pipesofsteele

pipesofsteele

Login to Send PM

I consider myself lucky to have a fiancé that appreciates my hobby and every once in a while has a pipe with me!

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs." - Albert Einstein
    Posted 3 years ago #
  37. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Steele don't let that woman stay a fiancé for very long...and I prefer to make my own sandwich.

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Daisy Mae it is! Thanks for the correction, and Al Capp was a genius.

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still remember when Abner said "I duz." And, Daisy Mae Scragg became Daisy Mae Yokum. Well, barely as I was 6.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

westhampipe

Login to Send PM

Personally I went with this beautiful woman who doesn't smoke herself but doesn't mind me smoking

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nate, I hear Siri is good company. And if she doesn't fit your fancy, Cortana is the new hot nonexistent female presence.

LMAO!!!! Almost missed the Cortana reference. Nice girl but very nosey and destined to die young I am told.

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last thing I want is someone borrowing my pipes, and raiding my cellar while I am out. Nah, I'd rather my girl just be OK with me smoking my pipe, which she does. Life is good.
    Jut be you, and someone who likes you, pipe and all will end up in your path, maybe.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  43. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have you considered a dog? Canis familiaris, that is, not the homo sapiens type. On that score, good luck. Both are high maintenance.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  44. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

High maintenance? You're buying the wrong breeds and dating/marrying the wrong women. A lab or a golden are easy keepers. A self-assured woman should be also. If she comes with a good income, so much the better.

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. griffonwing

griffonwing

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I will chime in. This past week, I have been chatting with a lady who shares many of the same dreams as I do. Living green off the land, micro-life, sustainable living, etc. We have hit is off quite well, and seem to be on the same page in many areas.

She smokes Native Spirit cigs, about a pack a day, I think. She said she's interested in the pipe, but didn't think women smoked pipes. I told her that many women smoke pipes. She said she'd love to but needs to find one that is elegant and feminine. I showed her a few "feminine-looking" (is there such a thing) pipes. She chose one, and I gave her 4 different blends of tobacco on Tuesday. I asked her today how many cigs she smoked yesterday, and it was only 2, whereas normally it is almost a pack. She loves the pipe, the flavor, and so far I think Margate is her fave.

I suppose that if things progress further, keeping her high-maintenance luxury supplied with Margate is much better than shoes and other material extravagances.

Hoody Hoo! Roll for Initiative, Monkey-boy!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  46. mig19

mig19

Login to Send PM

Me wife doesn't smoke a pipe, but she loves it when I smoke mine. I'll take it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

She loves the pipe, the flavor, and so far I think Margate is her fave.

Figures, don't it?

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im with "sailortodd" on this one, but not while he's smoking, haha, you see what I did there... ugh I give up

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  49. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipes women might like for starters could be EWA pipes available at our sponsor Iwan Ries. They are light weight, small-bowled, but plenty big enough for a leisurely smoke, especially with flake. Loose tobacco works fine too. Take a look, or better yet, ask her to take a look. Nice prices won't rack up her credit card.

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mihailo, if you ever find the woman you described, find out if she has a sister. (I trust all realized my previous post was an attempt at poor humor.) I labor under the delusion (?) that all women are magical creatures of elegance and grace, as mihailo aptly put it, who are entirely too fascinating to belong to this world. (My display of pipes is surrounded with statuary reproductions of women throughout the ages; someone described, with great justice that my pipe rack table is actually a shrine.) Now to find one that enjoys a pipe, I would consider a slender prince. I managed to convert a lady to the joys of the pipe with a prince, thanks to shaintiques. So it is possible. But better to hope for a lady who indulges you and your pipe. That's hard enough to find.

Posted 3 years ago #
  51. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A woman that smokes a pipe?

Hell, I'd settle for one who can cook a decent meal and isn't crazy as a road lizard!!

And as I get older ... I'm starting to think I could even deal with a little bit of crazy ...

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You guys have it all wrong. If you want a good woman, learn to clean and cook for yourself. Trust me, IF you can find a woman crazy enough to be interested in your pathetic a... self and you can get her to come over for a candlelight dinner that you've prepared yourself and then demonstrate that you can clean your own kitchen then she will recognize that you are a keeper.

Most good women don't want to marry a child that they have to baby all the time. The want a partner in life not a master.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, nhhiggy, jaytex969, oldgeezersmoker, ashdigger, danimalia, mtwaller