PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
How many here use a Electric shaver for shaving your face? How do you like it or is wet shaving better? :puffy:

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
I have not found that electric shavers work that well for me either. I think you have to pay a lot for a real good one, but I prefer wet shaving. The best shave I have gotten so far is a new razor they have out that vibrates while you shave.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
30 years of shaving, and for me...nothing beats a wet shave in the shower...after 5 minutes in a warm shower, my whiskers are soft and shaving is cleaner, and more gentle on my skin...I haven't had razor burn in 20 yrs...also find a good "oatmeal" based shaving cream

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I use an electric only as a touch up and only when needed,which seems to be very rare. Otherwise it's a double edged wet shave with a brush and quality cream or soap. The only electric I've ever found worth the effort is a Panasonic.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
Electric shavers are the tool of the devil!
Ok.. I exaggerate. Traditional wet shaving produces results for me that no electric shaver can hope to match.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been using a Braun 7 Series for almost 6 years. I don't miss the bleeding and this shaver does a good job. It's expensive at over $200 but with what razor blades cost these days it's about a 2 year payback. Of course, it depends on how heavy one's beard is. Mine isn't heavy and I can shave in less than 2 minutes.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Used an electric as a kid, just recently jumped into the world of wet shaving and I wish I have been doing it the whole time!!

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I've used both but prefer a wet shave with a razor blade. I've tried several different electric shavers over the years but never have found one that gives me a very close shave like a razor does. Also, it seems like there's always that one whisker that no matter which direction I run an electric shaver over it the whisker remains untouched mocking me, but the razor blade gets it each and every time!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
In 1963 I acquired a shaving brush, and never realized that a shave could be so comfortable and luxurious. These days I shave in the shower, because it really softens up the beard. I have a shaving mirror mounted there and my shaving soap sits on the shelf. A couple of minutes to lather up, and I'm ready to go. There are some excellent double edge razors out there (if you're retro,) and the new class of Multi-edge razors are easy on the skin and do a good job. Shtick Hydro is particularly good. Don't even think of using a straight razor in the shower. While there are some decent shaving creams in a can, true wet shaving with a brush and shaving cream or soap beats that by a mile. It takes a necessary act and turns it into a luxury. www.badgerandblade.com is the comparable site to this one for wet shavers.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm also a shower shaver but I always wished I could have used an electric. My beard is just to thick and coarse for an electric, at least the cheaper ones I've tried. Can't bring myself to drop $200 on a real quality electric.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Whats all this about shaving?
563218_631800400170779_114192827_n.jpg

But when I do I use a Safety razor, closest shave I ever get. Inexpensive, like pipe smoking requires a bit more patience with the use of soap mug and a brush (also inexpensive) and the actual shaving.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Phillips Norelco work very very well for a quick shave before work for a few minutes, like 4! I prefer wet shaving with a straight razor, however it takes like 20 minutes. I generally save wet shaving for when I have my girlfriend over.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
No way.
Traditional straight razor for me. Double edge safety razor if I'm in a hurry. I can shave with the DE in less than 5 min from start to finish. A straight takes me about 10. Though I do keep a goatee so that saves me some time there obviously.
If you're interested in doing it the right way, check out shaving101.com :D

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I have sensitive skin so I tried all kinds of shavers including an electric. The best razor I found was a Merkur DE safety razor. Like other people said, the electric can be harsh on your face.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I used every brand of electric going back 40 years, every kind of safety razor, even tried a straight. Finally a couple years ago I grew a beard. 5 minutes with an electric clipper once a week vs 10 minutes with a razor every day. Don't know why I didn't grow one years ago.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad gave me an electric shaver in high school, but I went entirely to wet shaving when I joined the

Navy, figuring correctly that I would not always have an electric outlet close at hand. I went back to

an electric when my late wife was ill, because I just didn't have the extra few minutes wet shaving took,

but went back to wet shaving when I had time. I've used both a safety razor and a cartridge razor, but

do better with a cartridge these days. Wish I could create useful lather with a brush and soap cup, but

I go with canned cream or occasionally gel. Canned shaving cream and a cartridge razor seem to do it

for me. Walgreens has a cartridge razor brand that gives a price break from the big names that seem to

be in price gouging, or at least overpriced right now. I'm intrigued by the religious groups, like Amish,

Islamic, etc., that feel growing a beard is an obligation, since it is provided by nature. A mustache makes

me look so gloomy, I can't imagine what a beard would do to me -- probably induce depression just looking

in the mirror.

wannashmooze

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
I use a norelco. I'm very happy with it, it shaves pretty close, it's economical, and I can shave at work easily if needed.

My shaver usually lasts about 5-7 years. $100 cost every 5 years comes out to being the cheapest way by far, other than growing a beard that is.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Glad to know that "the right way" is exactly what you do
Eric,
My apologies as I certainly meant no offense to anyone. Just my attempt at sarcasm. I am a big advocate for traditional wet shaving but I certaintly don't judge anyone for using whatever works best for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.