1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this summer I have been enjoying the benefits of pipe smoking, which is that I've been able to quit cigarettes, breath better, and I've lost a whole other person in weight. I can run up stairs without being winded, I buy clothes at normal stores, and I am getting back into riding bicycles. 12 years ago, I broke my hip. So I am limited in what I can do to excessive, and bicycles is the least impact on my hip. This summer I got out and refurbished my 18 year old Specialized Hardrock Mountain Bike with an all new drivetrain and tubeless wheels. I've also bought a touring bike and several vintage bikes to refurbish.
So, yesterday, I took the Hardrock out and went looking for new trails in the hills and mountains around the farm. I came down a gravel maintenance road, caught some massive air on a rock, and landed on the downhill back tire first and skidded sideways down the hill, tearing my derailer up massively. So, I lit up a pipe and made a trail side repair to get me home in high gear, pedaling in a fixed gear all the way home.
This morning, I woke up to the feeling an elephant was setting on my chest, chest pains running all the way down my arm. I soaked in a tub of epson salt for about an hour before it occurred to me that I probably should take this seriously and go to the ER.
After an initial EKG, they ran a stress test because of my age, the doctor asked me if I had done anything strenuous. I couldn't think of anything, ha ha. And, when he told me that I had pulled muscles in my chest and arm, It dawned on me... oh, my Mountain bike.
So, I am bed ridden with steroids and a brace for my arm for at least four days. Trying to be healthy is rather dangerous business. He suggested that I might be too old to get back into mountain biking, and that I should just stick to touring on my new bike. Hmmm... I am not sure I agree. There's just something thrilling about jumps, grinds, and technical fast thinking riding that sets off my endorphins. I've never been a drinker or drug user, and I've always gotten my highs from bikes, or climbing, water skiing, or parachuting a few times. I'm not so sure, I want to hang up the fat fires just yet. I'd rather deal with sprains and breaks than give up the thrills. But, we'll see... anyways, This old man will be in bed if anyone needs me. :puffy:

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Guess we'll be seeing you on here a bit more than usual...
All the best in your rest and recuperation! I love biking, but I'm too lazy and boring to hit the mountains. Next time you see the doc, let him know you're more active than at least one 23 year old.
Hope you can get back to enjoying what you love real soon, mate.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Take care of yourself, Cos. All this healthy stuff is bad for your health...

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I am happy to hear you will be okay with some rest. However may I suggest it is never too late to start drinking and drugs. Seriously, look what drinking and drugs have done for Deathmetal. :lol:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Glad to hear you're on the mend, and the pipe is good. Bike not so much, I guess.
You won't get into severe accidents on your mountain bike if you pedal only uphill. Not sure how one does that for any length of time, but hey, free idea worth what you've paid for it!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Making your own rules wrt:medical advice is like...the first rule of pipe club....seriously, did you even read the chart bro? Any sensible doc would have told you to ride more and wipe less. Real sorry to read of your injuries, but man, it could have been worse. Ignoring that is part of the fun of riding, imho. I'm tempted to recommend you consider adding a fat bike. The extra volume does lead to a pretty well cushioned ride, however that wouldn't have helped you too much in your "air jordan" scenario.

Thanks guys!

Yeh Bigpond and Brad, I agree. A doctor told my wife, "at her age she is just going to start gaining weight," so she doubled down on dieting and exercise, going on road rides with me (she is just not going to ever head out onto rougher trails with me, ha ha). Maybe they buy into reverse psychology. I will say that I don't see many 50+ year old men out on the more mainstream MT Bike trails. I don't really feel out of place amongst the youngsters, at least until a teenager on a $2500 graphite bike passes me on the trail with an "excuse me gramps," then I want to smack around some parents and I double down on making sure I clear the next jump.

I have a friend of mine in NC who is my age who still tours in the skateboarding circuits and competitions (nope no skateboards for me). He had to start a gofundme because his sponsors said he was too old.

I am not even close to being pro. I just do it to for the love of the thrill. There's something nice about relaxing under a shade tree with my pipe after a hard ride. :puffy:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have two very young cousins, 15 and 12 years old, who visited us yesterday. 12 year old is training kickboxing and 15 years old is training muay thai. I am 30 years old and training pipe smoking. I was left almost breathless after joking around with that younger one. He is so fast and intense, I just had my height (thus long arms and legs) as a weapon against him. After finishing with him I didn't even look at the elder one, he could have easily handled me. I knew it and I knew that he knew it as well.

Yeh, I realized when my eyes started going that I had a huge disadvantage against anyone younger than me. The moment I take my glasses of, I am just a punching bag, ha ha. I used to box back when I was in middle and high school. Even back then I was not best, but as they say, if only the best ever tried, there would be no more sports or games. I was just good at not getting killed, ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.