PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Sent my 1937 Kaywoodie Bulldog and a DG Savoy to him for some general cleaning and de-oxidizing.
These are his pics, after the deed was done, plus a DG Regal he rusticated and ended up selling me.
The man does a good job....doesn't he?
As a side note, all these are "working mans pipes". The Kaywoodie is old, but it is not by any means some sort of high end pipe for the time. Yet, you have to admire the grain and craftsmanship on all of them. For the naysayers of Dr. G, all you have to do is get out of the blister pack drug store range, and start looking for the treasures out there.
twovd.jpg

threeu.jpg

onei.jpg

here are a few of the Kaywoodie before he got ahold of it...
img20120331105622.jpg

img20120331105530.jpg

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Those look brand spankin new!

He did a great job and I can't imagine hating on a Dr. G!

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
he does do a great job. I have gotten a few pipes from him, and all of them looked out of box new.
Side note...
The Regal and the Savoy pictured have a very similar bowl size and shape. It is what I would call a medium bowl, and is perfect for either the quick (10-15 minute) smoke, or for a blend that has punch to it.
The Savoy I have dedicated to the quick smoke aromatic, and the Regal has had nothing but Black Frigate smoked in it, so far.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I was of the understanding that Kaywoodie was in the same quality league as Dunhill back then.
Kaywoodie put out lots of pipes and grades over the years, some "better" than others in terms of finsih and such, but they were not, by and large, expensive pipes.
Based upon rates of inflation (easily found on the internet), and looking at prices featured in the catalogs at that time, a typical Kaywoodie "then" cost about the same as a blister pack DG on up to a low end Pete today, depending upon the model and line.
My 1937 Bulldog, at todays prices, would run about $63. About what I would pay for a lower tier Peterson. But, it has the carb feature, and is the "large" version Bulldog.
The 1947 Centennial KW would run, today, $250. But that was their top end pipe.
A 1947 $5 "Super Grain" bulldog would run, todays prices, about $50.
In any case, they were not typically super expensive pipes, outside of specific shapes and models.

Status
Not open for further replies.