PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Hello all. I have a Billard that I bought estate from P&C (thanks guys!) about a year or so back. On the left of the shank it says with parentheses "Ehrlich". On the mouthpiece, the left side it has an "E" and on the bottom it is very worn, but has "France" on it. From my understanding imDhrlich is a Boston based pipe producer. So my question is, what do I have? Is it the real deal or is it something else?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have an Ehrlich pot, it says Algerian briar and Boston.
It is a good smoker. Do you have a pic?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Like many other brick-and-mortar pipe-shops, the David P. Ehrlich Company of Boston, Massachusetts offered for sale ready-made imported pipes, such as yours, and also hand-made pipes manufactured in its store. Unfortunately (as I understand it) this one-time bastion of Boston is no longer a pipe-shop, but now specializes in cigars.
I have four Ehrlich pipes in my collection, and each is a fine smoker. I hope that you find yours to be also.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I forgot to mention that it does say "deluxe Algerian Briar" the right side of the shank. Unfortunately I have not yet figured out how to post a picture, I do however am willing to email one (or a few) to someone that does that would like to post it. Yes it is a fine smoker. Great draw and never a gurgle. Nice size 3 bowl as well. It's quite plain, yet very nice to look at as well!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Hunter, you are indeed right. David P. Ehrlich does still offer some pipe related products but they are heavily weighted toward the cigar trade. For a while they were gone altogether and then re-emerged several years ago. Sadly Peretti's is only a few steps behind. Fortunately Peretti's still has a stout tobacco business so they haven't been completely overrun by the cigar guys.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I'm curious to know, how rare or sought after are these pipes? I have read they are no longer made and they were made in the Boston Shops. I'm not trying to sell mine, it is a great smoker and I'm thinking of trying to add more to my collection.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It sounds like your pipe was imported by Ehrlich. The in-house pipes had the carver's initials on them, like "P A" on this Ehrlich State:
EhlichState-vi.jpg
Rarity? Dunno...$ value? What you paid for it. Historical value? You bet. I love my Ehrlich pipes.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have several Erhlich pipes; I live in NH and these things are kicking around everywhere. They do not seem to command high prices; quite the contrary, they are relatively inexpensive even in unsmoked condition. I smoke them while I mow the lawn. They are my yardwork pipes.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I got mine for $40 off P&C. I wonder why they aren't highly collectable if the shop is no longer producing. I know that if there are more then the prices are usually higher.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
They are workaday pipes, but in my limited experience, good smokers. I like the shapes a lot. They are not high grade by anyone's standards, but they ARE under appreciated, IMHO

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
A little off topic, but i have a point.A friend of mine is an antique dealer. Primitive american antiques. He has stated that any antique furniture made before 1860 was created by geniuses. Why? because that was the around the start of the industrial revolution. When the industrial revolution started the geniuses stopped making furniture and started making machines. Why? for the challenge and profit. Fast forward to the post WW2 era- the eighties, before computers were being used. You still had skilled labor behind those machines. My belief is that they will be highly sought after in years to come, and this means pipes as well. Including the brick and mortar shops that no longer exist.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I ended up doing a trade for an Ehrlich and then bought another for $36. I really am quite impressed with both of the finishes of these two pipes.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Aggravated Farmer:
When I took up serious pipe smoking five years ago I built my stable around the better US manufactured pipes: Ehrlich, Weber, Jost, The Tinderbox and Diebel. They all made their own burners but they also bought blanks from the leading European manufacturers: Comoy's, GBD, Charatan, etc. (Don't want to insult our Northern bothers here: 2nd hand Brigham's are very undervalued on the after market although the postage from Canada will take your breath away.)
Money was tight back then and my pipes were estate buys - they were already broken in by somebody's late relative. I have no regrets though. I learned how to clean & sanitize those puppies and even make minor adjustments and repairs.
The journey has been the reward.
That said, I could die a pretty happy guy smoking nothing but Ehrlich burners for the rest of my life. Hand made or a production run, you're almost always guaranteed an aged chunk of briar that will be well drilled and pleasing to the hand and eye.
Fnord

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
http://s1377.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fah65%2Fkelleyalger%2FMobile+Uploads%2Fimage_zps2aaa5llw.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Nice looking pipe, a classic Lovat. I have a soft spot for Ehrlich's as I was a tobacco mail order customer of theirs in the early 1980's, and once visited the Cambridge store. Probably have roughly a dozen Ehrlich pipes. I'm going to echo what fnord said, one can build a very respectable collection of good smoking pipes, for not a lot of money, from makers (in no particular order) like Ehrlich, Wilke, Peretti, Edwards, Cellini, Jobey......etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.