PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Pipes&Cigars recently started selling Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in 1.5 ounce tins. I also see they sell it for $6.10, which more than two bucks less than anybody else is charging. Thought it was worth a mention.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey Jim ... I've read your reviews on this one and had a couple questions.
The description seems to vary from site to site. One says all Cavendish, one says it has

a little Burley, and a couple mentioned a light Latakia as well.
Why is there such a discrepancy between sites? Has this blend been "evolving" over time?
I just wonder because I have an unopened tin and am curious. Thanks!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Zekest: I agree! And thank you for the kind words.
Cobguy: I can't explain the discrepancies in descriptions. There shouldn't be any. Then again, a few years ago, somebody tried to claim they put grape juice in EGR, and that's just not true. I've smoked 1960s EGR and it almost tasted the same as the current version. The blender at Sutliff said the formula has never changed, and they are using the original.
Here's an abridged version of my review that might help you decide. This was written several months before it was decided to release it in 1.5 ounce tins, which, I'm told are selling pretty well:
I greatly enjoy the strong aroma of the freshly open tub, which was the red wine casing. The room note is pleasant, and passes the wife test. The taste is mildly sweet, but not cloyingly so. I barely notice what latakia is here, so I suppose it's just a light condiment to give it a slight "oompf." The black cavendish is not strong, but I taste a little sweetness from it, and I can see it in the tub, even though some claim there's none there. There's too many black pieces in here not to have some cavendish, because there's no chance all those black pieces are latakia or this would have a more smokey quality that latakia provides, and it doesn't. I get some burley notes along with the gold cavendish. I also got a plum note or two that reminds me of MacBaren's Plumcake in a minor way as well as a light honey note. Burns well and evenly, and has a little nic kick to it. No goop.
It is indeed a mild aro with a very pleasing taste. I have come to enjoy it quite a bit, and find it quite addictive. For me, it was enjoyment at first puff. When I'm not smoking it, I occasionally am thinking I need a smoke a bowl. Why it's virtually unknown today is puzzling as it is still in production. But Robinson himself is largely forgotten today, so why not his tobacco, too, in this day of "only NOW counts?" Okay, it's not a nirvana smoke - what is, really? - but it's on par with several other OTCs, and even better than many of them, depending on your palate. I'm going to keep this around because I like it.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Well Jim, I'm going to have to order one of these to try just because your recommendations have been right-on for me so far. Being an enormous fan of Edward G I tried to like "his" blend in the 70s. But at the time it seemed to have way too many ingredients that fought each other for the lead. And it burned hot and left goop. (If in its tinned form they did away with the preservative(s) used for the drugstore packages, that would help with the latter two issues).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
These days, it's packed rather dry. It may also be that your smoking technique has changed since then. I find EGR does best when sipped, and actually, I think I've become a slower smoker over the the years. I seem to enjoy smoking more that way.
What I would like to know is whether you lived back then and how easy was it to find EGR in those days? Living in North Carolina in the 1970s, I never saw EGR for sale anywhere.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I lived in southeastern Michigan, suburbs of Detroit. EGR was available at just about every drugstore and quite a few supermarkets too as I recall.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks for the reply Jim.

One of the sites that had this listed actually changed their description since I last saw it.

Back when I first looked at tobaccoreviews.com they had it as Cav and Black Cav only.

It sounds like an aromatic pretty much to me but will definitely try it sooner or later.

If, for some reason, it doesn't find a place in my stables, that horse is yours. Thanks!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I received a tin of this in the grab-bag giveaway from P&C back in March I believe. I was quite pleased to get it as I had read Jiminks review of it some time back, and how hard he had worked to get this blend back in production. Haven't opened it yet but the next aro that I do will be this one. Thanks for helping to make this blend available again, Jiminks

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks for the heads up Jim. I order my tobacco from P&C quite often as they tend to have the best prices for the blends/brands I favor. I keep meaning to try this EGR, as I notice you smoke it quite often and gave it a great review. I do enjoy your reviews; thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.