PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have been smoking a pipe about 10 months. I’ve tried lots of blends. I found I really didn’t like Latakia. Tried Frog regular and OTT. Both gave me a perfume like strange, not enjoyable taste. I’ve been letting it sit for a while. I’m guessing my tastes will change over time. After reading from this forum and other reviews I chose Edward G Robinson (I like Aro’s). Wow, great taste, the Latakia is much more mellow and tastes more like what I’ve heard it described as. I really enjoyed this new discovery it gives me hope to learn to enjoy the tons of blends that have Latakia in smaller amounts that I may enjoy. Special thanks to Jiminks for his post on EGR and Sablebrush for always mentioning drying longer than you think. The drying has changed my experience tremendously (for the better).
Suggestions for interesting blends that are Aro in nature with touches of Latakia? My favorite blends thus far:

EGR

C&D Dreams of Kadath

Sutliff Barbados Plantation

Sutliff Mark Twain (toss in a bit of Bold Kentucky) adds a little body.

GLP Cairo. Carefully smoked, tends to fry me a bit.

Easy to smoke but lacks some body 1Q 50/50 BCA. Or RLP-6
Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If you like mild latakia influences, consider the Dobie 4 Square English.
If you blink, you might miss the latakia in there. I like a light use of latakia but I almost found this one TOO light.
A few moderate latakia blends for me are John Bull's Royal English, Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury and Gawith & Hoggarth's Scotch Mixture.
jay-roger.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Lane HGL blend. I think you will love it. Sounds like exactly what your lookin for...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mac Baren Plum Cake

Mac Baren The Solent Mixture

Cornell & Diehl Pasha's Dream

Two Friends English Chocolate

Gawith Hogarth Bob's Chocolate Flake

Status
Not open for further replies.