PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
It’s rare that I stop at a fast food restaurant. But today I hurried out of the house early morning without breakfast, and by 9:30AM, and being a half hour from home, I was hungry, so I pulled into McDonalds.
A young girl with orange hair, a earring in her nose, in her tongue, and her lower lip is standing at the register. She’s yawning, and rubbing her eyes. After a minute, I finally asked. “Can you help me?”
She yawns, and says. “Oooh. Ya.”
“Did you just wake up?” I asked.
“Ugh. Not long ago. I usually sleep till noon.” She yawned again, rubbed her eyes, and said. “What‘da‘ya want?”
Wow. “What’da’ya want.“ I told the girl with the orange hair and pierced body. “I’d like a large, regular coffee, cream, no sugar, and an egg mcmuffin without the cheese.”
While still yawning, and now staring at the register like she was afraid to touch it, she says.
“Ugh. Let’s see. A large. Did you say decaf?”
“No, I said regular.”
“Oh. Ok” She hit’s the key on the register, and asks.
“Ugh. You wanted what to eat?” My patience was being tested.
“An egg mcmuffin, with no cheese.”
“Oh,oh, wait.” She says. “You wanted your coffee black, right?”
“No, I wanted just cream.”
“Oh, oh. That’s right.” She says. “Oh geez, duh. I gotta erase that coffee. I thought you wanted decaf with no cream or sugar.” She touches the key on the register.
By now there is a line of people behind me ,and I’m wondering why I am being such a patient guy, and still standing here.
“Ok I got this.” She says. “Large regular coffee, just cream. And a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit. Oh wait.” She stares at the register. “No cheese on that bacon, egg and cheese biscuit, right?”
“No. I wanted an egg mcmuffin with no cheese. And can I get this for breakfast please?”
“Oh sure.” She answers. “We don’t sell egg mcmuffins for lunch.”
I sat down to eat and thought back to when I was first working. I was younger than she was. I worked various jobs at different places. I worked a cash register, bagged groceries, pumped gas, and sold ice to the Italians in the neighborhood. Many of them had no refrigerators but used the “ice’a box’a” to keep their ice cold. In each of those jobs I was warned to be courteous, dress properly, and act intelligent. And my parents made sure I did all of those things.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
We are all in the same handbasket now... I have teenagers...4 of them... I can make them be respectful at home and to others. What I have no time for or desire to police is social media. They seem to become different people becasue they are allowed to be what I call anonymous in the moment. Sure you posted that but I can say someone else posted that or I was just joking or whatever. They have no respect for one another, but most of all themselves anymore...which spills over into the reality of a why bother generation.

They put cream in people's coffee for them? Heck, they always make me do it for myself. I didn't even know that kids still know what decaf is. I haven't heard someone say decaf in over a decade. Ha ha.
Eh, us old people have been griping about the younger generations since the days of Pliny the Elder - "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." apprx 70AD

I'm sure that cavemen said the same about their lazy kids.
I remember my dad saying that rock and roll had no melody, you can't hear the lyrics, and its all about fornication, as if all music throughout time wasn't.
When I try to help my daughters with their homework, I have to admit, it's beyond what I had to learn, and I was college prep of my day. And, when I worked a summer at McDonalds, there were idiots back then too, and people spit in food for giggles.
I'm not so sure that this is a sign that anything is any worse. But, you were way more tolerant than I would have been. Any sign that the kids taking my order may get it wrong, and I walk. Life is too short to argue with a kid making a mere pittance of a wage. They'll do just fine. And, if not, who cares what happens when I'm dead and gone.
On the other hand, with face rings like that, she'll probably have to make a career out of burgers.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
McDonalds is now working on automating the ordering process so that laggard will soon by out of a "living wage" job.
When I asked one of our new technicians to perform a needed task today I actually got a lecture on the subject, "Someday people people will only hafta to do the stuff they want to do". I was brought up under the belief that work was a privilege and not a right. Times have apparently changed.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
My reply would have been... "well your gonna hafta find a new job if you don't wanna go do what I just asked you to."

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
After 3 near successive incidents of the same nature, I'm no longer patronizing that establishment. I remember how that restaurant built itself on quality of service, and without that there is nothing left.

Jun 4, 2014
Ah, nothing like a big helping of McFrustration to go with your McMuffin! In sure in her mind she is the employee of the month, and deserves $15.50 an hour for showing up.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I work at a bank, and you don't get into my department without many years of hard work. But there are still people who really don't understand the concept of work. During the last slow period, lots of them found opportunites to look for employment.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I go to McD's often for coffee.Good and hot coffee for the most part.
The employees are today's generation; no work skills, no customer skills etc. Sad

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I started to write a long response and decided to simply state. Do not judge unless you walk in their shoes. Growing up is way different in each generation, especially within the last 40 years.
So now, I no longer go to Starbucks. They can never make one drink with two ingredients consistently.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
md makes a great cup of on-the-go coffee, but I liked it better when you could put in your own cream or sugar...nowadays, the turd-drops working the machines never get it right.
"fast food" and "common core" are strange dichotomies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
A young girl with orange hair, a earring in her nose, in her tongue, and her lower lip is standing at the register.
interesting, but not sure this has anything to do with your bad service.
I worked retail a couple of summers back in 66 & 67 and how people can work at retail is beyond me. you had the women with little kids running wild that couldn't decide what the wanted holding up the line. you had senior folks who thought the world revolved around them.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
itll-happen-to-you.png

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Lucky695 said:
My reply would have been... "well your gonna hafta find a new job if you don't wanna go do what I just asked you to."
Instead of coming into the interview with a list of qualifications and skills they might bring to our department, they often come in with a list of demands and reservations. "I can only work days but I need Monday and Wednesday off for classes. Oh, and I'm going to Cancun next week so I won't be able to start until after that". Very few people seem to actually need a job these days. Maybe it's just a Portland thing.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Personally I don't expect good service at a Mcdonald's or any fast food restaurant. Maybe if they were getting 15$/hr I would. I don't go there for the service, I go for cheap food, and then not very often. I guess you'd have to work for such a crappy company with very low worker moral to understand why people that work at these places just really don't care. And try getting lippy with the workers, I know some really sick stories from people who worked at places and had a customer tell them off. One story involves wiping a bum with a bun.

Status
Not open for further replies.