Egads! Washington Smoke Antis Cross the Line!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
That's terrible! I don't think it will go through, but as you say, it is the thought that anyone go that far!
As the article points out, the outlawing of alcohol was hardly a great success. More people died of alcohol related illness and poisoning during prohibition than before or since it was in force. All that would happen is some would still smoke and provide funds for organised crime and terrorism as tobacco went underground.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
That's actually so absurd it's funny. The text of the initiative 512 proposal does not mention pipe tobacco once, interestingly--I guess we're seen as mostly harmless. The article about the bill contends that, "[marijuana] has been shown to carry many of the same harmful effects as claimed for tobacco." The link which they cite even warns of a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack! Not only is their science spurious, their grammar is likewise suspect. It's obvious that logic, reason, or claims for freedom of choice are fruitless with these zealots.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Probably just some absurdist theater students that started a "flash mob" and took it a little too far. No need to take them seriously. ;)

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

-George Santayana
I'm just waiting for the day that we wake up to a constitutional amendment banning tobacco use.
Let's hope it never comes to this!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
This particular instance of zeal on the part of the tobacco antis really does seem to have no chance of going anywhere.

Doesn't lessen the need to remain vigil and active.
First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Martin Niemöller

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Martin Niemöller
Truer words were never spoken. Hound your state representatives for common sense laws and do everything you can to get the best ones elected. It's our only chance.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
How ridiculous, I don't think it will have legs either, but you're right it is scary.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
If only the zealots placed as much importance on curing the problems bought about by alcoholism, gambling (particularly the online type that has consumed many peoples' lives), those damn penny auctions that are just an absolute rort and end up bankrupting people, not to mention, of course, the use and manufacture of all the new drugs coming out of USA e.g. "ICE" etc - well, not new to you, but pretty much so to the rest of the world as they catch up to their idols.

Status
Not open for further replies.