PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Hi all. New member.

What role do different tobaccos play in a blend in your opinion. General thoughts anyone?
Edited by Cosmic for title capitalization, as per forum rule #9.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Latakia, Burley, Perique, Dark Fired and virginias pretty much stand out on their own. It's when orientals are blended in that I lose what's what. Unless the blend only boast one oriental. Which is what you've got to do. Try different blends and get the feel for them. A great place to start with orientals, is McClelland Grand oriental blends.
Latakia is smoky
Perique can be spicey or plummy, raisins and figs.
Virginias can be grassy, hay, malty, bready and citrusy.
Burley is earthy, nutty, sometimes malty.
Dark Fired is slight smoke, earthy, a bit of wine like acidity.
Black Cavendish is sugary, brown sugar. Very rarely do I enjoy this crap.
Orientals:
Katerini is slightly spiced with a curry powder note.
Turkish/Izmir is a sour spice.
The rest of the orientals I have no clue. Still trying to figure ithem out.
Hope this answers your question. I'm sure someone will contradict my notes and add to it. Because pipe tobacco can be very subjective.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I tried. But yea, as Cosmic said, start mixing them together, well that's why Pease is Pease, Reeves is Reeves, the McNiells are the McNiells(Hope I spelled it right), Gawaiths are Gawaiths etc. ad nauseum.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Thanks guys. Perdurabo, very useful.

When starting to try to discern various flavors, it´s a help to know what to look for. That is the reason for my question. I know my question is too broad. Well, gotta start somewhere.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
There is debate on tobaccoreviews on whether Orlik Golden Sliced contains any perique or not. Now I don´t really know what perique tastes like, but when I smoke OGS I get a spicy sensation on my tongue, like from hot, peppery food. Could this be perique? Or do virginias do that? I don´t get this spice from va/pers like Dunhill Navy Rolls or McConnell´s Scottish Cake, and i don´t get it from (the few) straight virginias I have tried so far, FVF and Royal Yacht.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Honestly, I've tasted perique in Orlik, but only slightly. To be completely honest, I believe it's the power of suggestion, because perique in that low of percentage doesn't come off as spicy but only adds dimension to the Virginia. I think the spice you are getting is problably from the Virginia and the topping of bergamot. Try C&D Chenets Cake or Pease Haddos Delight to get a more conclusive idea about perique.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
If you've smoked Scottish Cake then you've tried a very sublime smoke. DarkFired, red Virginia and a smidge of perique. I get more of a plummy, date spice from the perique in Scottish cake. Plus the dark fired in Scottish cake has that wine acidity I was talking about. Have you smoked Scottish Cake bone dry? To me drying out a blend until it's bone dry helps me pick out notes that otherwise get lost in steam. There are exceptions to this rule but very few.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I like Scottish Cake far better than Dunhill Navy Rolls. That may change though. I have not tried it bone dry. I find it kind of airy, esp in the beginning of the bowl, but in a nice way. I think I get the wine analogy. The sourness in it is pleasant like in sparkling water to me. Only had 5-6 bowls so far. Palate is developing.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea, the notes you get will not be like the notes I get because we are different. They are only sign post to comparing ideas. I know that if I smoked Scottish Cake straight from the tin, it would be tasteless. That's my experience, your taste are different. Try drying it bone dry. Then try drying it keeping a little moisture. It will change, and you'll get different notes. Or you may not. You have to experiment to your taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoa, perdu' did the heavy lifting here. I might mention that proportions have a major effect as well. Latakia used sparingly can have an undetectable influence, as can other leaf. Blenders spend their lives trying different tobaccos in different proportions, so it isn't just merchandising that results in so many different blends. Tweak it this way or that, and it is a different blend. Most pipe smokers play with mixing a little, just for sport, and learn a little about blending. It teaches you that professional blenders earn their pay.

The back of my four year old tin of OGS says "with a very light touch of perique." Orlik does state that there is perique in OGS, so there is no debate on that; however, the debate is usually centered around whether you could call OGS a VaPer as it really isn't enough perique to make it VaPer.
Perique is like cinnamon, not that it tastes like cinnamon, but in the way you can add a pinch of cinnamon to a pastry to bring out the natural sweetness of the other ingredients, or you can put a lot of cinnamon and get a redhot effect. a little sweetens, a lot makes it peppery. And, you can change the flavor even more by adding in different burleys and orientals to get even different flavors.
Latakia is similar, in that just a whisper of latakia gives Virginias a chewier leathery flavor, and a lot gets more like a campfire flavor.
Then you get into orientals, which vary in the hundreds of different regional varieties, with their pungent aromas that change also by what other leaf is in the mix.
Virginias are all a brightleaf that depend on some delicate nuances of temperature to "cook" them to a range from yellow, to gold, to red, to brown, all giving them different flavor profiles.
Burleys rely on casings or processes mostly to provide them with flavors and make them easier to smoke.
But, thinking that tobacconists just mix things to give them a blend is very shortsighted. That would be like saying that a good chef just measures things together. You have flue curing, cavendish-ing processes, casings, pressing, sweating, aging, marrying processes, and even topping them. Like making an omelette can be some WaffleHouse style glob on your plate, or in the hands of a chef can be transformed into a work of art with the magic of the whisk.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, workman! :clap:

There are lots of articles that you can find via the listings in the left hand column of this page.
A lot has been written about Perique. IIRC, it was pipemaker Julius Vesz who observed that Perique can improve almost any blend. It's a condiment that, for example, can be added to Virginias in vanishingly small quantities -- to the point of undetectability -- to mitigate the latter's piquancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.