PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
I'm still new to smoking a pipe. This may be a no-brainer question, but I'm just curious. I've been having a lot of trouble keeping my pipe lit lately. I live in the South, and I smoke outside. I generally use the swirl method to pack, and I was having a lot of success with it before this extra cold weather moved in a few weeks ago.
So, the (potentially dumb) question: can excess cold make it much harder for a pipe to stay lit? If any of you have had trouble keeping it lit lately, is there anything you've done to try to keep the pipe burning?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have a difficult time smoking outside in cold weather. Mainly because the cold makes me go inside and light my pipe. Seriously, I don't what, if any specific effect cold would have on tobacco. Hope it warms up down there soon. It is sure to here (in Ohio) by some time in April. So just remember it could be worse.
Mike S.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Love me some Perique in the blend when smoking outside in brisk weather. Just smoked a bowl of FM's On The Bayou outside, 40 degrees. Really enjoyed it much more so than smoking it indoors. Something about the colder air really sets it off.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
blindman,
I've smoked outside in the cold and at times have had trouble keeping my pipe lit. I have found that sometimes when I'm having a hard time keeping the tobacco lit, if I hold one finger over the top of the bowl that it helps me better control the draft and I've been able to actually "revive" a bowl that was on the verge of going out.

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
Mike, yeah, I think I picked a bad time to pick up pipe smoking. I'm just at the part in my development that I'm learning how to really slow down and taste the tobaccos. That's very hard to do when it's ridiculously cold outside. We're supposed to have some warmer temps this weekend. I'm anxious.
Saint, I haven't tried the On the Bayou blend. I have tin here, but haven't tried it just yet. I look forward to it. May wait until another cool night to light it up. Shouldn't have to wait too long. :roll:
Virginia, Glad to know I'm not the only one who has difficulty. I'll try the finger trick. Thanks for the advice!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Love me some Perique in the blend when smoking outside in brisk weather. Just smoked a bowl of FM's On The Bayou outside, 40 degrees. Really enjoyed it much more so than smoking it indoors. Something about the colder air really sets it off.
40 degrees is considered as cold! Hell, if I had 40 degrees right now I'd be outside in shorts with a pipe and a Pina Colada on a lawn chair dozing off! :wink:

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I'm with Phil. It's been in single or negative degrees in michigan the whole month, so it usually drives me inside. It was a rare treat to have 30o weather this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.