PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'm relining some old Savinelli pipe display cases after having removed the smelly old fabric and cardboard. In it's place is a foamboard tray. I have quite a number of pipes with silver mounts and embellishments which require regular polishing. I had the idea to line the trays with anti-tarnish silver cloth, which absorbs various gases which contribute to silver tarnishing. I have a couple of questions and a Google search yielded no info.
- Would the cloth possibly slow oxidation of vulcanite stems?

- Is there a possibility that the cloth could damage the briar, vulcanite, or acrylic?
P.S. These are all James Upshall pipes, not Savinelli.
MVIMG_20180402_190016-X3.jpg

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

There’s are a couple of different anti-tarnish papers. I have used several in my display cases, which was a large enclosed glass case, but maybe there was too much airflow when we would open and close it for customers, because they didn’t seem to work. Some of my friends swear by them for small cases that are used for storage. But, they report that they more or less slow tarnish, not exactly stopping it. The idea is to pull sulfide from the air. But, because stems are made of sulfur infused rubber and the bowls that have smoked tobacco emit sulfide, that may be a fools errand, YMMV. How doI s it remove the sulfide? I’m not sure. I would suggest using a microcrystalline wax, like Renaissance Wax, wiped on warmed in your fingers and then hand buffed off with a clean rag to a tight microscopic film. This helps resist exposure, but even that is not 100% effective, but maybe a combination of the two can help. It really just depends on how long you want to store them, where, and to what end. Any little bit or combination of things might help. Just depends... sorry I couldn’t be more precise. I’ve just come to live with tarnish, and polishing my work just before I am going to show.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks for the input, Michael. That's pretty much what I figured. I guess we'll see. I got a yard of the silver cloth and that's what is lining the pipe display. I also put a layer of it in the drawer of my 1930s Dunhill floor humidor where I keep my finest pipes. I keep all of my pipes with rubber stems in covered cases or drawers, to keep them out of the light. So far, that's kept stem oxidation to a managable pace. The silver tarnishes really fast, though. At least it cleans up fast with a jeweler's cloth. Coincidentally, I already use Renaissance Wax on both the briar and the stems. Good stuff.
As for the pipes in the photo, yes, these are unsmoked -- part of a batch of two dozen unsmoked Barnes/Jones era James Upshall pipes I bought last spring. Ten spigots. Maybe eight with bands. All done by Les Wood. About half P grade and the rest in the higher B,G, or E designation. I've smoked about a half dozen so far.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Awesome looking group! The only thing I can add is be careful when you polish the silver. The bands and ferrule's can slip off and get creased. 8O

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks for the compliments on the pipes. The great thing is they are truly fine smokers. There's quite a lengthy story behind these pipes, but I won't bore you with that. One of the best things about purchasing them has been corresponding with Ken Barnes in the months since aquiring them. Such a delightful fellow!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
OK, Cosmic, you asked for it! Here you go....!!!
THE PURCHASE
I bought these via an online auction that was based in Adelaide, Australia, which is on the southern coast. They were displayed in an old-time museum-style display case with a typewritten label identifying them as something like the World's Finest Briar pipes from Tilshead, England, or some such thing. My suspicion is that they had been on display at the Buring Tobacconists, where a portion of the Buring pipe collection had been on display. In the 1950s, it had been thought to be the 2nd largest pipe collection in the world. Obviously, these pipes were made much later, but I also bought some very historic items as part of that auction.
Since the pipes had been held in clips around the shanks in the glass-doored case, I was concerned that the briar may have darkened unevenly. Some woods are very photosensitive, like cherry, and darken in sunlight. They reported back that there was no sign of that sort of issue, but that there were "light scratches" from the metal clips. I figured that I could buff those out. By the way, the auctioneer confirmed that they were all unsmoked.
I won the auction, paying less than my maximum, but a bit more than I'd hoped. As it turned out, according to Frank Burla, a few other items I bought at that auction have turned out to be quite valuable and I paid a bare pittance. I only wish I'd had the knowledge fo bid on a few other historic items, like the vintage embroidered smoking caps which sold for peanuts. However, I'd already spent as much as I was comfortable spending.
SHIPPING
What a nightmare. The auctioneer recommended a local Pack and Send, which is much like a US-based UPS Store. They are independently-owned franchises. I gave careful instructions for removing the pipes from the clips to avoid further scratching and asked that he send the pipes as economically as possible. Suffice it to say that it took weeks for him to pack and ship the pipes, with many broken promises along the way. By the end of this period, we weren't exactly best buds. He claimed it took a lot of time to carefully pack nearly 40 pipes, plus the cabinet. Give me a break. Well, he did. The cabinet arrived packed separately from the pipes, in a box that was clearly inadequate to protect the glass door, which was shattered. I'm convinced that this was the shipping version of the waiter spitting in your food. Of course, the owner didn't actually buy the insurance that I'd paid for and didn't submit the claim on my behalf as he had promised to do. Eventually, Pack and Send stepped in and I received enough to cover the shipping and the loss of the cabinet. The glass was installed in a way which made it essentially impossible to replace.
THE PIPES
Well, the pipes were everything I'd hoped. Beautiful, unsmoked, early- to mid-1980s James Upshall high grades, many with Les Wood silver work. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the "light scratches" were actually fairly deep cuts and scratches in both the shanks and some of the silver mounts. The idiots who built the cabinet used stamped steel conduit clips which have sharp wire-edges which tightly grip the steel conduit it's designed to hold. In addition, they smelled like books that had been stored in the back corner of the cellar for years and years. I'd hoped that with a little sunshine, time, and a few smokes, the musty aromas would just go away. Ha!!!
During this period, I posted a photo of the pipes and the cabinet here in one of the forums and one of the founders of James Upshall, Ken Barnes, commented on them and provided me great information on when they were made, the source of the briar, and even the name of the Greek man who dug them up. We have continued to correspond since. He's a real gentleman and someone that I'd like to meet in person someday.
THE SCRATCHES
I tried buffing to start. Nary a dent. Then I tried steaming the cuts, followed by buffing. This was markedly better, but the cuts were still awfully obvious. Ken Barnes suggested that I use a burnishing rod on them, followed by some dark carnauba wax. As it happened, I already have a burnishing rod for sharpening steel card scrapers, which are an alternative to sandpaper for smoothing wood. It's a very hard and highly-polished elliptical rod with a wooden handle. Rubbing this firmly over the scratches all but erased the smaller scratches. The larger ones were visible, but not obtrusive to me, and I'm pretty picky.
THE AROMA
Wow. What a trial this part has been. Who'd have thought that the aroma could be so hard to get rid of. What I've discovered is that it permeated not only the briar, but also the vulcanite stems. I tried:
- Sunlight

- Low heat

- Baking soda

- Activated Charcoal

- Ozone cabinet treatment

- Baking them in a sous-vide, which is a temperature-controlled water bath

- Salt and Alcohol treatment

- Retort

- Soaking in quaternary sanitizer, such as is used for disinfecting dishes in a commercial kitchen or in a brewery

- Complete submersion in alcohol

- Lightly sanding the inside of the bowl on a couple of the pipes.

- Time

- Packing the pipe with unwanted old, dried- out Burley

- Smoking the pipe
None of these made much of a dent in the aroma. Furthermore, the musty aroma was also evident in my mouth -- especially after I was done smoking. Blech!
Finally, I tried putting the stummels in a cast iron Dutch oven with a bare UV sanitizing lamp with the lid ajar, to allow heat to escape. These lights create not only UV, but a bit of heat and also ozone. Even though I'd separately treated the pipes with each of those elements previously, this time, it seemed to work. The pipes I'd already smoked were more resistant, but most of the unsmoked pipes are now odor-free. A few may need a second round of UV treatment, but I suspect they'll be fine.
THE END RESULT
In the end, I've decided to keep all the pipes. Originally, I'd planned to sell my least favorite 12 pipes in hopes of paying for the other 12. Given what I paid, this was certainly plausible. However, in view of the diminished resale value due to scratches on some (but not all) of the pipes, my own reluctance to sell a pipe that might still have a musty flavor that my nose can't detect, plus the fact that they're just damned beautiful, great smokers with a story behind them, I've decided to keep and enjoy them all. It will take quite awhile for me to get around to smoking all of them. In fact, some may remain unsmoked.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Buring was a tobacconist in Adelaide, Australia. The family amassed a large pipe collection, a portion of which is in a regional museum.
Regarding the stink, it was just good old fashioned mildew, like old books stored in a damp cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.