PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I never knew that cummings was a painter, but in two of his self portraits he includes a pipe:
e.e.cummings1.jpg

http://www.mutanteggplant.com/vitro-nasu/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/e.e.cummings1.jpg
screen-shot-2014-04-29-at-20039-pm.png

http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/poets/a_f/cummings/paintings.htm (scroll down)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm no art critic but I'd happily hang either one or both on my walls. He has captured the clenched pipe perfectly, IMHO. Thanks for this.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
That's a cool painting.Does anyone know or can tell what kind of pipe he smoked? or what kind of pipe is in the painting?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't read much poetry, but e.e. cummings is one of the few poets I like to read. I have seen some of his drawings before, but never these self portraits. Never knew he smoked a pipe either, but I really enjoyed seeing these two artworks of his. Thanks for the post pitchfork!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Edward Estlin Cummings was a truly remarkable man.
Thanks pitchfork for inspiring me to read up on a brilliant artist I had long forgotten about.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I read an e.e. cummings poem in high school for a poetry reading contest (which I did NOT win; gotten beaten out by "Oh Captian, My Captain"). The self-portraits are wonderfully soft and calm, like pipe smoking!

Aug 14, 2012
Great story about E.E.: He was painting a woman's portrait when she confessed that she had fallen in love with him. He asked "didn't anyone tell you I am your father?" He sho' was a weird dude. Good painting (the color repro). Reminds me of Charles Burchfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.