PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I'm a big fan of Edward's pipes, so I tried finding Edward's pipes for sale yesterday, and couldn't. All the Edward's sites I tried only showed cigars, song and dance bands, and other things like humidors and pipe tobacco. And of course, cigars.

Does anyone know if they still make and sell pipes? I tried calling a couple but only got a recording. I guess I could email them and wait, but thought I would ask members of the forum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Didn't or doesn't Edwards make Bentons? For years, Bentons were the house pipe at Iwan Ries, and IR still has a web page devoted to them, but they all are marked not currently available, and this has been the situation for more than a year (I'd estimate). Are Edwards and Benton pipes out of business? If so, why does IR keep the pipes on its web site? I have three Iwan Ries/Benton house pipes, and they are excellent. I used to jokingly call them Chicago Dunhills (or Texas Dunhills). They made a great compact pipe, and their other pipes have fine big bowls. I have asked IR about their house pipes, but obviously they aren't ready to reveal the situation. I assume at some point they will resume offering house pipes, and these might be from Italy or France, or who knows, Kaywoodie. It's a real puzzle. Correct me if I have my facts jumbled.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I just called FGT Enterprises in Tampa, originally the parent company of Edward's, and current distributor of Edward's brand products. Edward's brand pipes are still being produced, but at a limited rate, and only a few shapes. Your best chance at getting one is to contact Edward's store #1 in Tampa: http://edwardstampa.com/
I also know first hand that there are three or four Edward's pipes for sale at the Lakeland location: http://edtobacco.com/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks, Walt. Neither site brings up pipes for sale, tobacco but no pipes. Pipe making must be nearly at a halt, or at a halt. I'll be interested to see what accommodation Iwan Ries makes. I think they do well to offer house pipes, and I suspect they will again, eventually, when they can strike a deal that is satisfactory.
Tinder Box used to offer house pipes made by the Chacom shop, I believe, and the one I bought as my first pipe is still going strong and looking good, a nice light weight full size bent pot with an interesting vertical saddle stem, sturdy looking and quite unique.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
You're right mso, Benton was an Edward's pipe. I have two, and you're also right about them being excellent pipes. I will call the Tampa store and see what's up with their pipes.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I just talked with someone at Edwards Pipe and Tobacco in Tampa, Fla. They shouldn't call it that anymore since they don't have but a few pipes left. They said that the one's they do have are made in Italy now and probably use Italian briar, not the Algerian briar they used to use.

He also said that they are having a hard time getting anyone to make pipes for them because everyone wants $40,000-$50,000 up front, and they are not wiling to do that. So, I guess if you want an Edwards pipe, you need to look elsewhere

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Max: I have several Edwards pipes I bought back in the 1960s. They are all Algerian briar, of course, and just great smokers. I treasure them.
I got real dumb one year in the '80s and traded a couple of my Edwards for some lesser known pipe for some reason. Who knows what I was thinking.
It is sad to see a great pipe brand like that fade away.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Believe it or not, a woman who used to make Edward's pipes and her sister (who blended tobaccos for them) lives near our office. She still makes pipes, although not always out of briar. However, she doesn't really have a way to buy them from her except to get lucky when she's finished with one. As a Tampa native, I've always thought of Edwards more as a place to buy cigars, despite the name (I'm 31, so it's most certainly an age thing). It's been a long time since they stopped making great pipes I think.
I've seen many many of those old Edwards pipes pop up in vintage shops around the Tampa area since I started looking for them (a year or so ago). If you're really committed to finding a few, you might try some of the vintage shops around the Tampa area. I also found a few of them on Etsy, like this one:

Edward's Pipes on Etsy
Happy Hunting!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This has been a huge help to me, and possibly others, by way of alerting us to maintain and treasure the Edwards/Benton/Iwan Ries pipes we have. I always knew they were something special, but i felt kind of small-time bragging about them. Now that you can't get them new anymore, and have to hunt for them as estate pipes, I may feel freer about mentioning them. They are fine pipes.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Well, this just isn't my day I guess. After I found that I couldn't get an Edwards, I went shopping for a Savinelli Solaria. I always thought they were nice looking pipes. I then found out that THEY were discontinued! Well Hell!

After searching around I found a nice champagne shaped one at Pipes & Cigars. I put it in my cart and continued shopping for some tobacco so I could take advantage of their free shipping. When I went to check out it was no longer in my cart! The cart was empty, and it said the pipe was out of stock. I called and was told that someone must have bought it out from under me. %&#@$*. I'm starting to feel as if the fickled finger of fate is giving the bird! What the hecks going on?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
max, this may or may not fill the bill, but Cup O Joes, on their Savenelli pages, have some Savenelli Cup O Joes specials that resemble the Solara line. At least take a look. Plus, they are a very good deal. This may be a good day after all.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Yep, I did. Bought one before THEY'RE all gone. Not as nice as the champagne shaped one, and not as good a price, but still nice. Whew! Next someone is going to tell me I'VE been discontinued. Lol.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I saw 6 Edwards pipes in an antique shop yesterday and passed on them because I had never heard of them. The ones I looked at were all stamped Algerian Briar. I may have to go back and buy some.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I found out about Edwards pipes a couple of years ago when I went to a local antique store and they had a gentleman who was selling something like 75 of them. I ended up purchasing 5 of them; however, after they were all sold out I wish that I would have purchased many many more.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I went back to the antique shop and they had two left. These were actually in better condition than the others but were in a different location so they probably were missed.

The first is a Edwards Algerian Briar 713-M and has the number 2 stamped on the bottom.

The second is a Edwards Algerian Briar 845

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I have an Edwards Poker that I found in the local antique mall, it is an ok smoke. For me it is to heavy, so I don't smoke it that often.
John

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
too easy
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=barling+pipes&_sop=15&_osacat=593&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.X.TRS0&_nkw=Edwards+pipe&_sacat=593

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since this thread has been revived, let me brag just a little more about my Edwards-made Benton pipes bought as house pipes from Iwan Ries, made with the Algerian briar. These are handsome "factory" pipes, which probably were made in more of a workshop than a factory, but on the assembly line system. The Algerian briar is bright lovely material that is light weight and makes a great large bowled pipe that you can also clench. I have a big-bowled billiard, a similar Canadian, and a bent billiard compact pipe, almost a Hungarian, that passes a pipe cleaner (!). Iwan Ries carried the photos of these house pipes long after they'd all gone out-of-stock, and I puzzled for a long time as to why. I think Edwards hoped to revive the brand, and Iwan Ries, taking the long view, waited to see if they could do it. When they finally couldn't, IR went to Italian-made house pipes. If you find Edwards or Benton pipes unsmoked or in good shape, or have them already, buy them and don't trade them off. They often aren't exciting lookers, very traditional, but they are excellent pipes and gaining stature every year. As the old song says, "You don't know what you got 'til it's gone."
Iwan Ries also had Hardcastle pipes on their site for years, nice ones with brass-colored bands, for about $40. Then suddenly they disappeared. Always thought I should grab one, but never did. They may still have one or a few floating around in that vast inventory of pipes in Chicago. I may ask. In the past, at least, IR has done at least some pricing on the basis of what they actually paid for a pipe rather than raising the price with the market no matter what they paid. It's one of the benefits of a retailer who has been around since before the Civil War.

Status
Not open for further replies.