PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I don't see a lot of mention of Edward's pipes. I think they are excellent pipes and are really undervalued.

They are all made from Algerian briar, and the ones that I have are very good smokers.

There is a searchable history to them too. I also think they color up about as well as a Dunhill Tanshell. I'm not sure if it's because they are a softer briar and have larger pores than say Calabrian or Tuscan briar, but they do achieve a nice brownish red color rather quickly.

I read that Edward's was able to secure a large quantity of Algerian briar back in the 50's or early 60's, prior to the war in Algeria. This has been setting for a lot years curing, so any pipe made with it should be of excellent quality. Mine all appear to be drilled and mortised correctly and have no fills.

I am saddened to see that there aren't too many pipes offered online anymore. Maybe they finally ran out of briar? I have been looking for an Edward's Royce grade (supposedly their best grade) and have only seen one. I have A Benton grade, a Virgin grade and an Elite grade. I'll continue to search for them as they are a great pipe for an excellent price.

Here is a picture of the three I now have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Are Edwards pipes in any way connected to Bentons? Are they both made in Texas? By the same outfit?

I think Iwan Ries house pipes are Benton, and though not flawless briars, they seem to be of high quality

for smoking characteristics.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Edwards pipes fly under the radar, I have about 12, I have gifted many, they are a bargin, got a big bent with thin walls which smokes so cool, it's my Bingo pipe when I go play and enthrall the old Blue Hairs smoking Troutstream. Get em if you can.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Here my Edward's it was gifted to me by a guy I work with. It smokes great.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I have to agree, great pipes that definitely fly under the radar, the two I have are excellent smokers.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Yep mso489, Benton is a grade of Edward's I'm sure. The Benton that I have says Benton on one side and Husky on the other.

I contacted Edward's shop in Fla. after I bought it and they confirmed it was one of theirs, although they no longer offered the Husky.

I went through quite a few sites searching for Edward's and Benton and came up with very few being offered for sale. I did find a lot of reviews and several sites that said contact us. Guess I'll try again. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
maxpeters, Benton is/was the principle supplier for Iwan Ries Exclusives house pipes. They used to offer quite an

array of them in several sizes, compact to extra large. There are still about a dozen on their web site, but only two

are in inventory. They are also on sale, if anyone is interested, 15% off the already 15% discount price. But the selection

is down to two. I'm not sure if this means that IR is reconsidering or re-sourcing its house pipes. Some on Forums who

visited IR recently said they still offer the compact pipes though they do not appear online. I have a billiard, a Canadian,

and a compact bent billiard and have found them quality smokers. I think the briar is Algerian. They aren't flawless, but

they aren't riddled with fills. They look pretty nice. The bent billiard takes a pipe cleaner to the bowl with ease. The

Canadian is a great design with a really ample bowl.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Here's a little write-up that Kevin did on FGT Enterprises, the company that started Edward's and makes the pipes. Lots of good info there. I live less than an hour away from FGT. Maybe I should arrange a visit some day...

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/fgt-enterprises-inc-gordon-smith/

Status
Not open for further replies.