PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
captainsousie(Dave)sold me this great Edwards billiard, I cleaned it up, although not in terrible shape. The acrylic stem had some tooth marks, but I was not too worried about that, I clench too.
The rim carbon cleaned up nicely, leaving just a touch of burn. I reamed the bowl a bit, I like to leave some.

The birds eye is awesome..

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Looks great Jason.
Nice chunk of wood there. Those Edwards pipes are reported to be great burners. I keep looking, but haven't landed one yet.
-- Pat

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
That is a nice looking pipe. I don't know anything about Edwards other than they claim(ed) to use Algerian briar. Does that date the pipe back some decades?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Thanks Fellas.
elpfeife, according to some any pipe that say "alegerian" goes back several decades. Not sure of the age on this one specifically.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I like that pipe a lot Jason. The only Edwards I have is a freehand, and it smokes great. Congrats on a nice pipe and clean up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been talking up Benton pipes, available from Iwan Ries as house pipes under Iwan Ries Exclusives.

I think they are an unusual value, and they're great smoking pipes. Best kept secret. However, the

grain on this pipe is spectacular. I don't even want to guess what Dunhill would have wanted if they

had finished a pipe from this briar with this grain. It would be one of their 3K specials, I suppose.

Benton's are great pipes. I have three of them, a straight billiard, a Canadian, and a compact bent

billiard that takes a pipe cleaner through to the bowl. They are not particularly thick bowled but smoke

cool. Really elegant pipes for truly reasonable prices.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Great looking pipe. I have a lower end Edwards prince I picked up on the bay for a song. Still smokes great. Enjoy that beauty Jason!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
This is the only Edwards I have:
0012-600x450.jpg

I picked this up on eBay for about $30 last April. The grain on yours is FAR superior than mine.
I hope she is a good smoker for you.
Dan

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Nice Pipe, trippy looking stem. Thats the second edwards I have heard about on this site in the past few days. Will have to keep an eye out for them.

Aug 1, 2012
Edwards pipes are really good for the money. I have 4 and all of them are great smokers. Some have a tight draw, like this one, but they don't actually suffer for it. It's as if the pipe doesn't know it's supposed to have a draft hole big enough for a Mack truck.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I have one Edward's pipe with a carved swirled design on the bowl. This motif can be seen on both their smooth and rusticated pipes. It has a nice open draw and is an excellent smoker. As others have said, Edward's pipes can be found at very reasonable prices. From the pipedia entry,
"Edward’s pipes were originally produced in St. Claude France when Francais actually was a world-class pipe maker with longstanding business & political connections to Colonial Algeria that allowed them to obtain the finest briar. During the tumultuous 1960's, Edward’s created a business model to offer the finest briar available in both Classic and Freehand shapes - all at a fair price. They bought the company & equipment and cornered the market on the finest, choice Algerian Briar just before the supply vanished in political turmoil of Algeria's independence. Edward’s packed up both machinery and briar-treasure to America, safely caching the essentials to create a new pipe-making dynasty."

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's a nice looking pipe Jason.
I'm a fan of Edward's Pipes myself. I have three of them that I bought directly from the flagship Tampa store. One of the three is actually branded a "Smitty".
Two of the first articles I ever published (holy crap - 5 years ago!) on PipesMagazine.com were about them.
You can see my Smitty pipe and learn a little about the store here:

Edward's Pipe & Tobacco Tampa FL
You can learn about the distribution / manufacturing and see some of the equipment here:

F.G.T. Enterprises, Inc - Gordon Smith
(You can also see me with no grey in my goatee 5 years ago.)

Status
Not open for further replies.