PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
I sure wish I could fine a tobacco similar to Edward's Bishop Burley or Good Companion. It is not available at any Edward's shops (few left), and the clown who owns Edwards wants $80 per pound.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Mike

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Which Bishop's Burley did you have? The reviews say it's all burley, burley plus VA/Turkish, or burley plus Latakia and other components!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
If you really like it, and can't find anything else to fill that niche...
Not knowing where it's being bought/sold, $5/ounce isn't that crazy, especially if it's in a state that has some extra taxes. Where I live, bulk blends tend to cost $5-$8/ounce at B&Ms.
If you think he's gouging and just don't want to pay out of principle, maybe you could find a base tobacco/burley close to the base of this blend, and modify it with condimental tobaccos to get something close?

Oct 7, 2016
Mike, Edwards in Florida charges the 85% tax on pipe tobacco regardless of where they ship it. Some internet only sellers don’t charge it on out of state purchases. Benningtons in Sarisota, definitely not run by clowns, has a tin of Escudo in stock for $26.80. I called them on something a year or so ago and they said they were required to charge the tax regardless. Why the discrepancies between internet only and B&M I have no idea. I doubt the tobacco is the same as you and I remember, anyway.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
you guys over the pond should think yourselves lucky 80$ per pound is cheap compared to lots of places.

In the Uk the same weight would be $170 and in Australia much more.

enjoy the prices while you still can :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plenty of variety and quality in the burley line these days. C&D's long menu of blends includes many with burley and/or burley based. It's become the C&D focus, it seems to me. Many other brands also do fine burley blends -- Daughter's and Ryan and the new Amphora Burley, to cite only two. Many good pouch and bulk blends keep the prices reasonable.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
All things considered, $80 a pound for something you like isn't all that much. People on average are spending more than that. People buying tinned tobacco are paying that and much more. Say for example that you're buying 50gm tins at $9.99 at tin. You're paying about $99 a pound. That's the entry level, as most tobaccos online cost more than that. So people in the US pay anywhere from $90 to $140 a pound for tinned tobacco, and we're not talking about unicorns or unobtanium here.
BTW, that price from an online shop doesn't include sales and excise tax. Some are beginning to charge sales tax, and will leave you to pay the excise tax. Eventually all of them, if only to show compliance in the hope that their online sales won't be banned outright, will be charging excise tax, or reporting your purchases to your state, at which point you will get a nice letter, like a member here from Michigan received, requiring you to pay those pesky taxes, possibly with penalties.
That $80 a pound isn't looking so bad right now. And how many hours of pleasure will you get from that pound of tobacco? One pound equals 453.5 grams, roughly 100 bowls at about 45 minutes to an hour a bowl, so approximately 75 to 100 hours of pleasure for $80 or about 80¢ to a little over a buck an hour. Sounds dirt cheap!

A movie can cost $10 to $15 at a first run house for two hours. Add to that the cost of concessions and the price is more like $30. Go out to a fine restaurant and spend $35 to $200 per person for dinner that lasts maybe 90 minutes. That $80 pound isn't sounding so outrageous.
Americans have enjoyed exceptionally, almost abnormally, low tobacco costs compared with the rest of the world. That's changing. The government isn't subsidizing our habit any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.