PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
A few months ago, I purchased a box of pipes that a guy had bought at one of those storage locker sales. There were something on the order of 70-100 pipes in total. There were a few pretty decent pipes in there -- Elliot Nachwalter egg, a couple nice Preben Holm Ben Wades, a couple Savinelli Nonpareils, a Wiley freehand, Stanwell OSS, and a nice little Savory's Argyll. The rest were mostly tobacco store brand pipes - Uhle's, Jeanie's, J. Gillespie (about which I can find nothing), and a PILE of Edwards Algerian Briar pipes. Most were filthy. Many still packed with unfinished bowls of tobacco and more than a few repaired. All in all,$200 seemed like a decent deal.
The Edwards pipes have a reputation for being good smokers made from some really good briar. I have now refurbished four of the Edwards and they're all quite excellent. I can highly recommend them if what you seek is an inexpensive pipe that smokes well. Aesthetically, they're all over the map. Wow, there are some really, really wacky designs. The freehands sometimes look like a carver with no artistic sense was told to make fantastically-shaped pipes like the Danes and ended up with something that looks like it was made in a 1970s eighth grade shop class. But some of them are really nicely done. In fact a few of the Edwards freehands I was expecting to be Ben Wade or Randy Wiley. The more conventional shapes are nicely executed, for the most part. There's an extra-long Canadian that's just fantastic!
The thing is, these Edwards pipes sell for next to nothing. $10 is pretty typical. A good bargain, IMHO.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Craig,
I agree with your assessment of the Edwards pipes. I've had to good fortune to be able to refurb a couple of them for a fellow piper. In return for refurbing his Edwards he gifted my son and me each a beautiful Edwards Billiard. Very clean lines and great craftsmanship.
So far we've been just smoking Carter Hall in em, as they appear to be unsmoked. This gives us an opportunity to break in a new pipe plus an excuse to smoke CH (One of my OTC guilty pleasures) :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The Edwards have a great reputation. One may also find an old Iwan Ries house brand that was made for them by Edwards, using the Algerian briar.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
On the Lepipe.it website, I think it's Per Jensen who wrote:
Algeria was once the preeminent producer of briar, but when the French were ousted in the 1960s export of briar was prohibited, and the craftsmen who knew the business of selecting and cutting briar left, leaving behind no one capable of restarting the industry.
So scoop-up Algerian wood when and where you can.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Edwards handmade with Silver. Rare find great little smoker.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have a handful of Edward pipes that I really enjoy. They smoke quite well, and I really enjoy the way they look. The only downside is that the ones I have have bits that are not as thin as I typically prefer. There was a guy selling off all his Edward pipes over 200 hundred in his collection and I was able to pick up a few for $15-$20 each. I now wish I would have splurged on a few more when I had the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.